Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 4:13 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2513 views)

Shortcut

Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone used a taxi to cross into Mexico? I have too many things to hand carry and want to bring some large electronic items across the Laredo crossing to the Central de Autobuses in Nuevo Laredo, then on to Morelia by bus.

I am wondering if there is any more likekihood of getting a red light inspection in a taxi vs on foot or in one's own car. I understand that the taxis wait for you to clear customs, then continue on with you to the destination on the Mexican side.

travisdyer

Jul 7, 2008, 6:52 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

There is a good chance that you will be pulled over for inspection, even if you get the green light. The best thing to do would be to have the taxi driver pull into the "Items to Declare" lane. This allows you to pay your taxes, which is 15% of the total value. By declaring your items and paying your taxes, you will avoid any problems that may arise at any checkpoints along the way, especially the customs checkpoint at the 26 km marker.

Brian

Jul 7, 2008, 8:45 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

In most border towns, there exists a cottage industry of guys with pickup trucks and vans who are paid to transport large size purchases from shopping centers on the American side to addresses in Mexico. For example, I once bought a big screen TV in San Diego at a local Costco. I was driving a small car so the salesmanager referred me to a fellow in the parking lot who agreed to bring the TV over for $50. After taking it out of the box, I followed him in my car through the Aduana. We stopped, claimed that it was used and I paid a small duty. I did so in order to have the paperwork in case I needed to bring it back at sometime for service. We then proceeded to my home in TJ. The guy had a pretty good business going for himself. He said that he often bought large items for his neighbors who did not have a visa to cross over to the US. I bet you would be able to find a similar situation in Laredo and could have a truck bring the TV to the bus station for you.

Brian

whistler

Jul 7, 2008, 1:14 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

Travis Dyer and Brian thank you for sharing your experience. Excellent suggestions. I like the idea of the guy with the truck. The savings will be around $400 USD for a 32 inch tv, before import taxes. If the item is valued at $400, at 15% duty the tax is only $60 USD, so the net savings is $360, minus the cost of the guy with the truck. Since I will cross in Brownsville or Laredo, I expect it will be harder to find a guy with a truck, but maybe I can just go to the US side of the border and find someone crossing and pay for their help.

Maybe the taxi is a good idea, even though I will probably get stopped. If I knew that the duty on electronics is just 15% I would just declare it and pay.

But I suspect the duty is much more... Anyone know?

travisdyer

Jul 7, 2008, 1:53 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2414 views)

Shortcut

If the value of the item is less than $1,000 and the total value of all items being imported is less than $3,000, then the tax is a flat rate of 15%. You will also get a $75 credit towards the total value of all items being imported. I travel to and from Mexico at least once a month.

I have contacts in Laredo, and I can help you find someone that is familiar with crossing the border with merchandise purchased in the US. They would load the tv into a pickup and charge you $50 to take it across. You could cross the border in the pickup, and the driver would likely take you to the bus station for another $10 or $20. You would also get an additional $75 credit for the driver, towards your items. If the total value is $400 minus $150 credit leaves a value of $250, which yields a 15% tax of only $45 USD.

Hope this helps.

esperanza

Jul 7, 2008, 2:09 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2407 views)

Shortcut

My partner and I crossed into Reynosa from McAllen in a taxi in January, heading for the Reynosa bus terminal. We had a lot of luggage including a lot more "stuff" than is legally allowed. We were prepared to pay whatever duty was asked.

The aduana just waved the taxi through the gate. When our luggage was loaded into the bus, no one questioned it. There was no later check point for the bus.

We could have had anything in the taxi trunk, including a big TV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

travisdyer

Jul 7, 2008, 10:49 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

There is a very real chance that you will be pulled over for inspection. Don't risk it. Pull in and report the goods and pay the taxes. I can never understand why Americans want to try and screw the Mexican government out of $40 - $50. Do your part to help the modernization of Mexico. Good luck on your venture.

thriftqueen

Jul 8, 2008, 6:52 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Has anyone crossed into Mexico in a taxi? Any customs problems?

Pull in and report the goods and pay the taxes.

Travis, I agree. After living in Alamos for nearly 11 years we have heard more than one horror story about goods that was not declared. By law goods not declared can be seized. Better yet, buy Mexican and save all the back and forth shuffling.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4