Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 9:13 AM

Post #1 of 24 (5474 views)

Shortcut

What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Flat screen televisions cost about 80% more in Mexico than the US. I would like to cross one of the Texas borders on foot and bring one across. I would appreciate any opinions on the best way to do this.

I assume it is best to make sure the date code is not too recent and repack the TV in an older looking box.

Here are some options:

1. Declare the TV as used with a low value, perhaps half of the new price, and pay duty on it. How much is that likely to be?

2. Nothing to declare and see what happens.

What do you think?

johanson

Jul 6, 2008, 9:47 AM

Post #2 of 24 (5464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

This doesn't answer your question, but I have to disagree with your statement. "Flat screen televisions cost about 80% more in Mexico than the US." I found the prices much closer. How close? I haven't checked in a while. But isn't it much closer to 20% or less? Remember in Mexico the posted price almost always includes the sales tax while in the US and Canada, it does not, which is misleading.

Yes our sales taxes are usually much higher than what one is used to up North. I pay 15% (its called IVA). In WA state I pay almost 9% (it's called sales tax), in OR there is no sales tax and in British Columbia I pay about 14% (combination of PST and GST)

Has anyone done a cost comparison between say Costco prices for the same flat screen TV on both sides of the border? After taking the sales tax off isn't the cost difference closer to 20%?

Also understand that I would rather have a TV build to Mexican power specifications than to US specifications if I were using said TV in Mexico. Remember the power supply for a US TV must meet US specifications where the standard line voltage is about 120 +/- 5 % while in Mexico the standard voltage is 127 +/- 10% which means the voltage could be as high as 139.7 volts. A TV built to US (not Mexican) specifications doesn't do very well at 139.7 volts.

That said the power cord supply/adaptors for my laptop, blue tooth, cell phone, and iPod devices etc, work for all voltages between 100 and 240 volts according to what is stated thereon.

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #3 of 24 (5461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

I have priced some TVs in Sam's club, Walmart, and Costco here in Morelia, and at Amazon.com tax free, free delivery to a US destination. The difference is almost double. But is has been some time since I checked, so I'll check again and we'll see what the story is now. Maybe the costs in Mexico are coming down.

I will purchase a TV with the exteneded voltage range that you describe, so this is not an issue. I am guessing it is the import taxes on goods from china that makes these sets so expensive here.

Now, how to cross the border?

(This post was edited by whistler on Jul 6, 2008, 9:52 AM)

alex .

Jul 6, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #4 of 24 (5455 views)

Shortcut

You go thru the declare line, fill out the form, show the receipt, pay the duty. That will bring your cost up to what it would cost to buy it in Mexico in the first place, thats what the process is designed to do.
Alex

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 10:24 AM

Post #5 of 24 (5451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

If I bring a TV set in as used I can pay duty on a lower price that that of a new tv. So if the used price is half of the new price I can save half of the duty, or about 20% ot the cost. Correct?

bournemouth

Jul 6, 2008, 10:26 AM

Post #6 of 24 (5449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Staggering over the border carrying a large t.v. doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What are you going to do with it after you have walked over and gone through customs - hire a cab? Bite the bullet and get one in Mexico, where, if you have any problems under warranty, there is a chance you might get them taken care of.

BajaGringo

Jul 6, 2008, 1:06 PM

Post #7 of 24 (5423 views)

Shortcut

I have found that the price difference seems to increase proportionally to the distance from the border. If you take the time to do a little shopping you can find some pretty good deals in Mexico along the border areas where the price difference is not so high. That way you can have peace of mind that you are not doing anything illegal, won't have to pay a duty and your warranty will be honored in Mexico.

Just my dos centavos...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 1:18 PM

Post #8 of 24 (5418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

That is really interesting. In Morelia the prices of chinese electronics are terrible. I'll take a look in the border towns and see how things are priced.

A $600 USD television in the USA costs $1100 USD in Morelia. Its worth some work to look at options.

I would like to hear from others that have brought expensive televisions across the border. One couple put the television in their car and crossed the border without declaration, without taxes. They saved $500 USD. I don't think that is a good option.

jerezano

Jul 6, 2008, 3:11 PM

Post #9 of 24 (5406 views)

Shortcut

Hello whistler,

You say:>>One couple put the television in their car and crossed the border without declaration, without taxes. They saved $500 USD. I don't think that is a good option.

On the other hand that is exactly what I would do. I would unpack the TV, get rid of the original packing and all stickers etc indicating that it is new, strap it in a vacant seat where it is visible to the world, and drive across the border without declaring it. Almost all border stations hardly ever show the red light, but even so if challenged declare it as used, quote about half price and if charged a percentage usually about 25%, then pay it, demand a receipt for the later check point and drive on into Mexico. If no red light, then on to the check point and do exactly the same. You stand much more chance of the red light at the check point than at the border.

Most electronic devices are supposedly operative at 110 to 125 volts without problems. I find here in Zacatecas that they even operate well as high as 139 volts, although light bulbs have a very short life.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 3:25 PM

Post #10 of 24 (5399 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Thank you Jerezano. You have excellent insight. I am guessing you've been making border crossiings for a while now...

Brian

Jul 6, 2008, 4:04 PM

Post #11 of 24 (5387 views)

Shortcut

Jerezano knows what he is talking about. That is the way folks who make frequent crossings do it. It is commonplace in shopping centers and Costco parking lots near the border to see discarded boxes and shipping materials as evidence of this fact.

Brian

mazgordon

Jul 6, 2008, 4:39 PM

Post #12 of 24 (5378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

I bought a 32" Samsung LCD tv here in Mazatlan over a year ago at Sams Club. I paid about $25,000 pesos for it then. Last week I was in there and a Sony of the same size was under $14,000 pesos. Things are changing fast!

¡Echar todo la carne al asador!

whistler

Jul 6, 2008, 8:58 PM

Post #13 of 24 (5340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazgordon] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Now you can buy a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV at Amazon.com in the USA for $709! Half the new Mexican price!

johanson

Jul 6, 2008, 10:55 PM

Post #14 of 24 (5329 views)

Shortcut

But shouldn't we compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges? I went to the US Sony site and found two Sony 32 inch LCDs available, one for $1199.99 and the other below for $1099.99
Model Number: KDL-32N4000 32" Class BRAVIA® N Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV (31.5" diagonal)
N series features: 720p, BRAVIA Engine 2™ digital video processing, Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit (ACE), BRAVIA Theater Sync™, Digital Media Port, Built-in 20W subwoofer, rear channel speakers, ATSC™/NTSC tuner with QAM, piano gloss black finish with chrome accents

(Screen size measured diagonally.)
See Details
Compare
Research and Learn

$1,099.99

Now maybe that is not the same model, but it's the same brand. Now let's take this $14,000 pesos and take out the included 15% IVA. Now we have $12,174 . Now lets use an exchange rate of 10.3. When we do that we find the US dollar cost before sales tax to be $1,182 US dollars before tax.

If the model were the $1199.99 model, the price is cheaper in Mexico. By the way when I bought a Sony LCD two years ago, the factory for all of North America was in Mexico.I understand that the factory is still in Mexico

Moisheh

Jul 7, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #15 of 24 (5290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Most electronics are at least 50% higher in Mexico. Sometimes more. The stores in Mexico do not adjust to new lower prices as quickly. If you purchase at Best Buy they can sell you a warranty that is good in Mexico. The best way to cross with your TV is to declaer it!! You are allowed $3000 ( I think that is the new amount. Rolly knows for sure) that is admissable at around 15%. Depending on where you are crossing some people stuff it in the vehicle and hope for a green light. But remember that TV's are one thing they really look for. The TV's and all other electronic items are no different in Mexico. There are no special models made for Mexican voltage. Our Sony was made in Mexico but it was still much cheaper in Tucson. I paid the duty.

Moisheh

johanson

Jul 7, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #16 of 24 (5274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

I was at the Sony store in Seattle Saturday. I was told again that the power supplies are built to different specifications for the Mexican market than for the US and Canadian market. Now, do I know whether or not the tech who told me that was correct or not? No I don't, but that is what he said. Oh and he just happened to speak Spanish, which I thought was pretty cool. I ended up buying only an n-router from them. I won't be buying an LCD for my new home until it is finished hopefully in Sep. So I am actively comparing prices on both sides of the border too, and am finding different results than what has been posted by several folks here. But I don't want to get into an argument so I'll just back off. I will just say that living in Jalisco, so far it looks like it makes more sense to me to buy my LCD in Guadalajara, than at a US border town.

Talking about Spanish, I was at Costco Store # 1 today looking at LCDs and writing down the prices but buying food, and ran across several folks from Jocotepec and another couple from Oaxaca. It was fun speaking to them in Spanish especially because Store # 1 is in Seattle. Folks learn Spanish, I found that by doing so, often I can get a better price in Mx, than the English only speaking Gringo.

Also remember that as of, what was it Feb 17th of this or last year all sets sold in the US must have a special tuner that will pick up the new HD signals, which are already being simulcast by the way getting ready for the formal change over on Feb 17th of next year. I have a newer LCD here in Seattle that has the newer tuner. It's different but cool. Now my PBS affiliate channel KCTS 9 in Seattle is transmitting 5 different signals (or channels) on Channel 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.5 One of the channels is even in Spanish.

I rather doubt that the equipment made for the Mexican market will have the new digital tuners, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know? I do know that there are a couple of HD channels in Guadalajara.

If you really want to get confused, I have an HD radio too. But that is another story. The world is changing

(This post was edited by johanson on Jul 7, 2008, 8:09 PM)

Rolly

Jul 7, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #17 of 24 (5274 views)

Shortcut

One is allowed US$3,000 worth of loot before a customs broker is required. That is not a limit to the total dollar value one many bring. The customs broker trigger has nothing to do with how much you can bring, which is more or less any amount so long as it doesn't look like a load for resale. For example, you can bring dozens of books, but not dozens of the same title.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Jul 7, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #18 of 24 (5272 views)

Shortcut

Price of electronics in México

It is true that in general electronics cost more in México than in the USA, but not always and not always a lot more.

Not too long ago I bought a VCR/DVD player for the same price I saw it advertised in the USA -- exact same model.

Rolly Pirate

whistler

Jul 8, 2008, 9:02 AM

Post #19 of 24 (5235 views)

Shortcut

My conclusion is to enter in a taxi since I would need to take one on the Mexican side anyway to get to the bus station, have the TV in the trunk. Use it before coming to Mexico so I can declare it as used.

The duty on, say, $500 USD at 15% is $75. Not too much.

I just need to be sure it doesnt disappear from the storage area of the buses as I work my way down to Morelia.

Rolly

Jul 8, 2008, 9:15 AM

Post #20 of 24 (5232 views)

Shortcut

A minor point: The Mexican customs people define "used" as being more than 6 months old; whether it has ever been turned on or not is not important.

Rolly Pirate

whistler

Jul 24, 2008, 9:17 AM

Post #21 of 24 (5112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Why is it important to differentiate a TV coming into Mexico as either new or used. If I buy one new, and it has a manufacture date of 6 months ago or more, I suppose I can open it, use it, and repack it so it will be used.

Is the only reason to do this to reduce the valuation for tax purposes? Is the tax 15% for both new and used?

Brian

Jul 24, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post #22 of 24 (5096 views)

Shortcut

You can negotiate the value of used merchandise. That is not the case if it is new in the box with dated sales receipt. For only occassional purchases, you can "do the right thing" and pay the full duty for new stuff. But if you live near the border, you might as well do as Mexicans do. Buy the stuff in the US, take it out of the box, leave the box and packing materials in the shopping cart and drive home passing through the aduana with your used merchandise.

(This post was edited by Brian on Jul 24, 2008, 1:17 PM)

drmike

Jul 24, 2008, 12:18 PM

Post #23 of 24 (5078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Whistler,
For God's sake, bring that damned TV across the border and be done with it. It is not that big of a deal.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

jennifer rose

Jul 24, 2008, 1:04 PM

Post #24 of 24 (5068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] What is best way to bring new LCD TV over border?

Can't Post |
At long last, Dr. Mike and I agree.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4