Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

steve2709564

Jun 11, 2008, 8:30 PM

Post #1 of 10 (7715 views)

Shortcut

COSALA?

Can't Post | Private Reply
        I'VE HEARD IT'S A INTERESTING TOWN,IS IT WORTH THE TRIP AND WHAT SORT OF HOTELS ARE IN TOWN? THINGS TO SEE OR DO? ANY OPINIONS?

esperanza

Jun 12, 2008, 2:01 PM

Post #2 of 10 (7687 views)

Shortcut

Re: [steve2709564] COSALA?

Which Cosalá would it be? Where is it? What state?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

steve2709564

Jun 12, 2008, 3:32 PM

Post #3 of 10 (7680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] COSALA?

SORRY FOR SO LITTLE INFORMATION! MAPS SHOW IT BETWEEN CULIACAN AND MAZATLAN ON A DEAD END ROAD OFF HIGHWAY 15, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A TOWN TIME FORGOT....

bournemouth

Jun 12, 2008, 5:09 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7672 views)

Shortcut

Steve, time may have forgotten it but the marijuaneros have not - it's busy up in them there hills.

esperanza

Jun 12, 2008, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 10 (7661 views)

Shortcut

I would be really, really careful of anyplace in that area. Lots of illegal activity goes on in that neck of the woods.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

BajaGringo

Jun 12, 2008, 6:34 PM

Post #6 of 10 (7660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] COSALA?

I know someone who grew up in a small community up above there. They won't go on that road to visit family up there. Instead they charter a small plane out of Culiacan that basically lands in the middle of a cow pasture near the family home there and waits for them until their visit is over to bring them back.

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

steve2709564

Jun 12, 2008, 7:36 PM

Post #7 of 10 (7650 views)

Shortcut

COSALA?

THANKS FOR THE INFO EVERYONE,I JUST FINISHED A GREAT BOOK BY R.GRANT.."GOD'S MIDDLE FINGER" IT'S ABOUT A TRIP DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE SERRA MADRE FROM THE BORDER ON DOWN....IT'S A POWERFUL STORY AND PRETTY WILD, I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SEE THE BEAUTY WITHOUT GETTING KILLED! ANY OTHER IDEA'S?

MazDee

Jun 12, 2008, 8:27 PM

Post #8 of 10 (7647 views)

Shortcut

Cosalá, once the capital of Sinaloa and the home of its first newspaper, is indeed an interesting town. It has recently been designated a Pueblo Mágico by the Mexican tourism department, and a recent trip showed that the town is anxiously preparing to show off. As the others commented, it is not an area where one would want to start exploring the backroads alone, but I believe it is perfectly safe for tourists who visit the sites that the tourism department is promoting. I went on a 3 day group tour, by bus, a few months ago, sponsored by a charitable org in Mazatlán. We were fortunate, because a major tour company in town was researching their own commercial tour, and the owner of that company was one of our tour guides (at no cost to us as it was a "practice run" for her). She coordinated with the tourist office in Cosalá, which provided a charming and well-versed bi-lingual tour guide. The 2 of them showed us a wonderful time! The group was split between 2 very nice hotels, and I noticed a 3rd on the main plaza. Our planned meals were held at several restaurants. I think one belongs to the mayor's sister and another to his best friend, but I digress. We took very interesting walking tours of centro and took turns riding in a lovely old horse and buggy around the plaza area. A trip to a silver mine was planned, but was unavailable for safety reasons since they were working. Instead, they took us to the large mill where the ore is milled and smelted. The owner showed up there to greet us and showed us an awesome chunk of silver! We took a trip to a nearby ecological preserve which even has a lodge of sorts where people go on retreats or to study the area. (A large group of university students came in while we were there). Incidentally, if you go to the preserve, don't attempt it on your own even if you have 4wd, which is probably useful. It is isolated, and there are tours from the town that are inexpensive. Much safer to take a tour, I think, than inadvertantly taking a wrong turn into the wrong guy's rancho. We went to a nice river beach where there is normally a waterfall, but it was just a trickle at that time of year. The town itself is most attractive and clean. They already had put all the electric underground around the main plaza, and were working on the adjoining areas. I think a lot of people were a bit overwhelmed at the sight of 30+ foreigners, but they were entirely welcoming. The state of Sinaloa puts out a nice glossy brochure about the place, but I gave my copy to friends along with the itinerary of our trip, so I don't remember a lot of details, including the names of the hotels! I highly recommend this trip, most especially to history buffs. Oh,and El Salto, a famous bass lake, is on the same highway and nearby. It really is a road well-travelled by tourists. Google Cosalá, Sinaloa for more. Dee

steve2709564

Jun 12, 2008, 9:20 PM

Post #9 of 10 (7641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] COSALA?

DEE, THANKS FOR THE COSALA WRITE-UP! SOUNDS GREAT, I'M GOING!

Marlene / Moderator

Jun 13, 2008, 8:13 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7616 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Dee, good write-up and good advice. Tours are also arranged for cruise ship passengers, with pick-up and drop-off at the pier.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4