Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Bethie

Jun 11, 2008, 10:29 AM

Post #1 of 11 (16873 views)

Shortcut

websites

Can't Post | Private Reply
I note that several people have their own websites. Where/how can I find out about doing this. I would love to start a website (or blog?) on our adventures on preparing for the move to Monterrey.
Thanks

johanson / Moderator

Jun 11, 2008, 12:40 PM

Post #2 of 11 (16853 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] websites

If you don't have a son or grandson who could help you, what about doing a Google search. I entered "book about web page and blog" and found all kinds of leads to include http://mcfedries.com/cs/content/CreatingAWebPage.aspx which pushes a book called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page and Blog. Which publications is best? Sadly I don't know. Good luck

Rolly

Jun 11, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #3 of 11 (16847 views)

Shortcut

Creating your own blog is easy. You just sign up with a blog company and start typing. The software and domain name things are taken care of for you.

Creating your own webpage and domain name (as I have done) is not for the faint of heart, or beginner. It requires a lot of work and specialized knowledge, he says immodestly.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Jun 11, 2008, 1:39 PM

Post #4 of 11 (16845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] websites

Can't Post |
Isn't limiting the range to male progeny a rather sexist approach?

johanson / Moderator

Jun 11, 2008, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 11 (16839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] websites

Yes

BajaGringo

Jun 12, 2008, 3:02 AM

Post #6 of 11 (16813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] websites

Yes it is sexist and unfair. The reality is that in my 15 years of building websites I would estimate that 95%+ of those who I have met who have taken up this heathen craft are of the X and Y chromosome variety. Not sure why that is but it has been my experience to be so. That will probably soon change as it has in other disciplines and venues...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

Bethie

Jun 12, 2008, 7:21 AM

Post #7 of 11 (16800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] websites

Thanks for the input. I think I will check into a blog or myspace page, something easy like that. I was currenlty laid off from the construction company I worked for and have some extra time and thought it would be an excellent time to dabble in this. Wish me luck!

BajaGringo

Jun 12, 2008, 12:14 PM

Post #8 of 11 (16782 views)

Shortcut

Good luck. It is addicting and if you really get into as some of us have, you will come to discover how easy it is to spend hours late into night to get just one more page done...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

Rolly

Jun 12, 2008, 1:47 PM

Post #9 of 11 (16774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] websites

"...easy it is to spend hours late into night to get just one more page done... "

Ain't it the truth. It's more addictive than drugs. And a lot harder on the eyes. They don't call me bleary-eyed Rolly for nothing. Smile

Rolly Pirate

Judy in Ags

Jun 15, 2008, 3:55 PM

Post #10 of 11 (16738 views)

Shortcut

GooglePages is a good place to start. You don't have to be very computer savy to create a nice blog.

esperanza

Jun 15, 2008, 4:25 PM

Post #11 of 11 (16735 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the input. I think I will check into a blog or myspace page, something easy like that. I was currenlty laid off from the construction company I worked for and have some extra time and thought it would be an excellent time to dabble in this. Wish me luck!

I use Typepad and love it. It's SO easy! http://www.typepad.com

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4