Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

prmjcm

Jun 4, 2008, 8:30 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5177 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
i just set up e-mail account with progidy is there any way to get in english used telmex pagge to set up????

new arrival

Rolly

Jun 4, 2008, 9:01 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] e-mail

You might want to reconsider using Prodigy for e-mail. It has been reported many times in the past that some ISPs in the USA block e-mails from Prodigy because it has been (still is?) a source of so much spam.

I use Hotmail.com (free) as well as the very nice e-mail program that comes with your MexConnect subscription. I use Hotmail for general stuff and reserve my MexConnect account for family and friends.

Rolly Pirate

colibri1

Jun 5, 2008, 1:09 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] e-mail

We have both Yahoo & gmail accounts.
Seems like gmail is more consistent at getting across borders, even to Eastern Europe. Yahoo and gmail seem to have trouble with hotmail.
Our office manager had to switch to gmail because we could never get thru to him in hotmail.

jerezano

Jun 5, 2008, 8:38 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] e-mail

Hello,

I have a prodigy (Infinitum) account because it is the only thing available here in Jerez--well yes satellite can be set up but that is expensive.

My ISP provided e-mail (prodigy) is almost never used. Over the years I have found it to be blocked by other ISP's for various reasons. Spamming is one and prodigy's incompetence in cleaning viruses from the system is another. Most ISP's clean those viruses right away. Prodigy may take as long as 3 days. During that time sent e mails just disappear without notification.

So I use google's g mail. I don't like web-based mail systems but I have found g mail to be the best.It has an excellent anti spamming filter, it provides the flexibility of picking up my mail from prodigy and from yahoo, and its reliability and speed have proven to compensate for the inconvenience of a web-mail account. It also allows you to respond to your other accounts using the proper e-mail addresses.

Rolly mentions that he uses the mexconnect mail system for personal correspondence. It is a good system but if, for some reason your mexconnect e-mail address becomes know on the web, the spam filtering system doesn't work at all. So I have blocked my own there. It does have that facility.

Hope this helps. Hasta luego. jerezano.

toucantango

Jun 17, 2008, 3:22 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] e-mail

Of course, gmail and yahoo are not only web based. As long as you have an isp, you can easily set up accounts in Outlook Express (and I assume Firefox and others) that will enable you to download all of your email to your desktop or notebook. We've been doing this for years. You can read your emails and respond them in OE on your own pc and, as long as you have a live internet connection, you can send them directly from your pc without going to gmai or yahoo. You then have all the bases covered. When you are at home you can use OE and when you are travelling and using an internet cafe you can access your accounts via the web.

http://www.toucantango.ca

jerezano

Jun 18, 2008, 6:29 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toucantango] e-mail

Hello,

Again I must use Prodigy.net.mx here in Jerez, Zacatecas. Again, I find that if I use Outlook Express, Courier, Pegasus, or probably any other type of mail client to send mail via my Internet Service Provider (Prodigy) that the service is unreliable. For example, I sent an e mail to Baltimore on June 12th using my prodigy.net.mx server and never received an answer. So I sent the same e mail with a yahoo.com return but by google mail on June 15th and received an answer to this latest google mail the next day.

If you must use prodigy.net.mx as your server I recommend that you send all your mail using a web-based mail client like yahoo, or google, or even hotmail (poor reputation) instead of sending it via your Internet Service Provider (Prodigy).

On the other hand, receipt of e mail to my prodigy.net.mx server has never been a problem. That works like clockwork.

Best of luck. Suerte. jerezano.

raferguson

Jun 18, 2008, 7:56 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toucantango] e-mail

As toucantango said, there is no need to use a web based email. Gmail will support the POP3 and SMTP protocols, which means that your email client can deal with them directly. I agree that web based email is inconvenient.

Lots of people use their ISP's (Internet Service Provider) for their email, when there is no real reason to do so. Just because it is included in the price, that is not a reason to use an inferior service.

Besides gmail, there are many other providers, some free, some not, which provide email both by web and by the usual email clients, such as Outlook or Eudora. I use inbox.com as an "extra" email address; they offer POP3 as well as web access.

You might need to do some research and/or get some tech support to change to another email provider, but I figure that I could make that change in 10 minutes, after 10 minutes of research to make sure I know what I need to do.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4