Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Georgia

May 15, 2008, 1:40 PM

Post #1 of 31 (15589 views)

Shortcut

Two Expressions

Can't Post | Private Reply
"Yo amo a Juan Quererendon" is a popular soap opera on Univision. Two expressions I haven't run across before have me puzzled:
"chinches bravas" (sounds X rated to me) and "a como de lugar"

Help. Please.

jerezano

May 15, 2008, 5:36 PM

Post #2 of 31 (15571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Two Expressions

Hello,

Not familiar with the soap opera.

Chinches bravas--Surely you have heard of the Volkswagon chinche? Chinche is bug---and I certainly would not stay at any hotel described as having chinches bravas.

A como lugar never heard of it. You might tell us how it was used. Context always helps in translating.

jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on May 15, 2008, 5:41 PM)

Oscar2

May 15, 2008, 6:47 PM

Post #3 of 31 (15564 views)

Shortcut

I think Pulgas are the same or similar to chinches. There is a beautiful Country Club Resort and Community called Pulgas Pandas in Aguascalientes. I’ve shared some photos with MC in the past of some very nice homes in that community.

I guess pulgas can also mean like mosquitoes of flies, not sure. I don't know what Pandas means.

Georgia

May 15, 2008, 9:15 PM

Post #4 of 31 (15556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Two Expressions

Well, yeah, I know about the bug part, but this seems like something else.
As to the other expression: it just pops up randomly on the soap.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

May 16, 2008, 8:28 AM

Post #5 of 31 (15535 views)

Shortcut

¡Buenos dias, queridos amigos! "Como de lugar" is used a lot here in México, and it could be loosely translated as "no matter what" or "by any means".
"Tengo que lograr un puesto en el gobierno este año, a como de lugar"
"Esta chamaca siempre tiene que tener la razon, a como de lugar"
Bueno, espero que esto les haya ayudado un poquito.
¡Saludos desde la bella Xalapa!
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

quevedo

May 16, 2008, 10:06 PM

Post #6 of 31 (15508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Chinche de cama

Can't Post |

quevedo

May 16, 2008, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 31 (15506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Pulga

Can't Post |

Oscar2

May 17, 2008, 2:51 PM

Post #8 of 31 (15479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Pulga

Quevedo, thank you for the picture comparison. What still eludes me is why they call this great looking community in Aguascalientes, Pulgas Pandas. The pulgas part is understood but what the heck does “pandas” mean, can't find it in the dictionary

Rolly

May 17, 2008, 3:15 PM

Post #9 of 31 (15477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Pulga

I found it in my dictionary:

pan·da, m.
zoology: panda

pan·do -da, adj.
1. (que comba) sagging, bulging (wall)
2. (alabeado) warped, bent (wood)
3. (lento) slow-moving, slow
4. figurative (pausado) slow, ponderous

m.
geography: plain (between mountains)

Rolly Pirate

robrt8

May 17, 2008, 3:37 PM

Post #10 of 31 (15474 views)

Shortcut

I'm guessing a bit here. The chinches could be little pests, referring to others.

Judy in Ags

May 18, 2008, 7:31 AM

Post #11 of 31 (15450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Two Expressions

This is what is known as a "cinche" here, but I realize that could be a generic term like "palma" or "pino". Both those words cover a multitude as plants.

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on May 18, 2008, 7:32 AM)
Attachments: Chinche1a.jpg (54.9 KB)

Oscar2

May 18, 2008, 10:23 AM

Post #12 of 31 (15434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Pulga

Thank you Rolly. Trying to figure out why Mexicans tag or put handles on something like Pulgas Pandas on such a great looking resort, golf coarse, living community is a stretch. I’ve attempted to Google the word Pandas to try and mesh what the heck they were trying to say by putting the two words together and somewhere it said Panda-s loosely means ghosts.

Pulgas Pandas community has a number of situational lakes around the golf coarse and living environs, thus probably harbors those little critters felt like around Lago Chapala, called No See-m’s = ghosts.

I could imagine this is a loose interpretation of what was meant but quite frankly, while there, we didn’t see nor feel bothered by any of those elusive little ghosts. Mexicans are no different then any other country where bits and pieces of domestic life are riddled with little references such as La Mordeda, and much more such as……

quevedo

May 18, 2008, 4:35 PM

Post #13 of 31 (15415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Comí hasta quedar pando

Can't Post |
This is an idiomatic expression, meaning "I ate so much my belly looked like a bended beam or wall", from the verb pandear:

pandear.

1. intr. Dicho especialmente de una pared o de una viga: Torcerse encorvándose, especialmente en el medio.

A wall or a beam that bends itself, specially in its middle section.

So Pulgas Pandas refers to fleas that ate so much they became pandas. Why a resort is called that way is something that goes beyond my understanding.

Saludos,

Quevedo

robrt8

May 19, 2008, 6:45 PM

Post #14 of 31 (15377 views)

Shortcut

Second try:
"chinches bravas" = ferocious little pests
Sounds like a good telenovela expression.

Georgia

May 19, 2008, 7:33 PM

Post #15 of 31 (15375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Two Expressions

I used to live in spain, and I've thought about this. In Spain, instead of saying "shit" we said "MIERcoles" and instead of "maricon" we said "MARIposa" ... so, I think that instead of saying "chin...." in Mexico they say "CHINches" ... hey,., Quevedo, weigh in on this please!!!! Oh, in English, it's like my son used to say: "Holy Schmidt" instead of ...................

Oscar2

May 19, 2008, 7:52 PM

Post #16 of 31 (15371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Como hasta quedar pando

So Pulgas Pandas refers to fleas that ate so much they became pandas.

Quevedo, yes, while Googling, I ran across a few saying Oso Pandas = Panda bears, as those indigenous to China or is it Japan.

Nonetheless, it can loosely mean, Fat like a bear type flees or bugs. Perhaps this was so way back then before there was even a development in the area, and the name just stuck with it. Who knows...

Georgia

May 21, 2008, 8:05 PM

Post #17 of 31 (15322 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Two Expressions

Thanks for that clarification. This is a very Mexican expression: none of my friends NOB, who are hispanics from various parts of Latin America, had any idea what it meant. It makes sense in the context in which it is used now that you explain it. Thank you! No longer driving myself crazy. This is as Mexican as "luego, luego."

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

May 21, 2008, 11:46 PM

Post #18 of 31 (15312 views)

Shortcut

Georgia y queridos aspirantes a ser domadores del lexico mexicano:

Another verse that I learned at my tender 16 years old in 1966 in Toluca, México during my first extended stay is...

Somos lilos,
Somos rosos,
Somos lindos mariposos,
pa' que queremos mujeres tan bellas
cuando hay hombres tan hermosos

Well, I'll let you all figure out the "non politically correct" aspects of this little poem.

¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy "El Ruco Gringo Jalapeño"
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Georgia

May 22, 2008, 6:33 AM

Post #19 of 31 (15302 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Two Expressions

Got it! And do you know what, at least in Guadalajara, are known as "fresas?" A friend of my son who lives in Florida is from Guadalajara and the minute we were introduced she assured me, "pero no soy fresa."

travisdyer

May 22, 2008, 12:01 PM

Post #20 of 31 (15280 views)

Shortcut

"Fresa" is a social term only used in Mexico and among "Chicanos" in the US, not in all of latin america. It is Mexican slang meaning an obnoxious, spoiled rich kid. Fresa's are usually stuck up, have expensive clothes and cars, are usually upper-middle or upper class, spreak differently than everyone else, and are very condescending. Like in every other country there are pseudo-fresas, those who pretend to be preppy but aren't.

Georgia

May 22, 2008, 2:59 PM

Post #21 of 31 (15266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Two Expressions

Right, Travis. Which is why my son's friend was so quick to assure me that she wasn't one of "those women." There are some aging fresas around, too!

travisdyer

May 22, 2008, 3:49 PM

Post #22 of 31 (15258 views)

Shortcut

I deal with several of the older ones quite often, but I am one that is quick to put them in their place.

Don Moore

May 22, 2008, 3:59 PM

Post #23 of 31 (15254 views)

Shortcut

My mother, who is 92 years old, has always lived in Memphis and doesn't speak a word of any language but southern English, uses the word "chinches" for bedbugs. They were very frequent and unwelcome visitors in her family's home during the depression.

I know this doesn't help, but I couldn't help saying it.
Don Moore

quevedo

May 26, 2008, 9:32 AM

Post #24 of 31 (15190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Chin...

Can't Post |
I've heard the chin... ches thing but it is not widely used these days, at least not in Jalisco. More common, chintolos or chintrolos.

Cordiales,

Quevedo

Georgia

May 26, 2008, 11:14 AM

Post #25 of 31 (15184 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Chin...

Aha! Well, this is a character on the soap opera "Yo quiero a Juan Querendon" and he says it ALL the time. I'm not sure where the telenovela comes from, my friend thought Mexico (country, not city).
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4