Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

robrt8

May 12, 2008, 10:47 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6036 views)

Shortcut

Groundind a surge protector--Separate ground

Can't Post | Private Reply
A friend of mine on another group has run a ground line out the window of his rented apartment (no ground & he doesn't want to pay for proper grounding) and driven his own rod into the ground.
If no other devices were attached to this "ground" line he created (besides the surge protector) will he live to tell?

johanson

May 12, 2008, 11:15 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Groundind a surge protector--Separate ground

I don't quite understand your question about "will he live to tell?". Yes a surge suppressor along with some other devices need a ground line to shunt the surge, etc to. I did the same thing in my old house. I sunk a two meter grounding rod into the ground and then ran a ground line from the rod to the electrical outlet where it was important to have not only a hot and a neutral line, but a ground as well.

Well actually I didn't do it, rather my electrician did it

robrt8

May 12, 2008, 12:06 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Groundind a surge protector--Separate ground

I was imagining a short to ground not tripping a breaker. If he were to come in contact with something like the desktop case he may not live to tell me if this system works or not. I recommended he use at least a GFCI outlet. One more thing: He can't see if the panel itself is grounded. Thanks.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4