Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NEOhio1

Jul 1, 2008, 10:10 AM

Post #26 of 31 (6069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] FM3 - Household items

Can't Post | Private Reply
When I drove down the first time in 2005 with the wagoneer packed to the roof I just told them I was coming down for the season and my husband was flying and these were my things I needed for the house I had rented. Just in case they wanted to look I had all those sucky plastic bags on the very top and a duffle full of all my shoes. Figuring if they wanted to look in a bag I would pull the duffle out and open it revealing a totally unreasonable amount of footwear, the next thing had "unmentionables" in full view...they didn't want to look at anything and told me to have a good summer.

jerezano

Jul 1, 2008, 12:18 PM

Post #27 of 31 (6055 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

OK bournemouth, I believe you. That is exactly what I would do (load the vehicle and take your chances). But try to restrict what you are bringing in to a 1-1/2 ton pick or less. Once you graduate to a truck some crossings have special rules and you will have to use a broker.

jerezano.

Georgia

Jul 2, 2008, 7:57 AM

Post #28 of 31 (6018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] FM3 - Household items

Why declare the stuff as new if it's not? I always pay some taxes when I cross from Texas to Mexico. But I am mean. When it is hot as hell, I invite the customs guy to come out to my car, since I tell him I have no idea of the value of my old stuff. This guy does not want to be away from his airconditioned office for more than three minutes. He invariably puts a lower value on stuff than I would. So, off I go with aduana's value, taxes paid, and no sweat - except for the aduana guy who just wishes I would lie.

chicagoburbs

Jun 1, 2009, 10:27 AM

Post #29 of 31 (5913 views)

Shortcut

The amount of $3000 was mentioned as the Max value without using a customs broker, Is that $3000 per family or per individual ?

Rolly

Jun 1, 2009, 11:04 AM

Post #30 of 31 (5905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicagoburbs] FM3 - Household items

The $3000 allowance was for a brief time several years ago. Today is it $1,000 per adult.

Rolly Pirate

punta4

Jun 15, 2009, 5:18 PM

Post #31 of 31 (5799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3 - Household items

The TJ/San Isidro border crossing considers the $1000 importation limit (the cutoff for a non-broker importation) to be per vehicle and not per individual. We erroneously thought we could import $1000 worth of stuff each for my husb and I, and they redirected us to the Otay Mesa crossing where we had to hire a broker and spent about 8 hours that wasn't fun at all.

It certainly could be enforced differently at other crossings, and on other days.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4