Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

travisdyer

May 9, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #1 of 3 (6187 views)

Shortcut

Water Gardens

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone built a water garden here in Mexico? If so, how did you succeed?

What about recycling your own bath and sink water for watering the plants? If so, what method did you use?

Just curious.

Rolly

May 9, 2008, 8:21 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Water Gardens

I haven't built a water garden here, yet. But I had two nice ones in California. Check them out here: http://rollybrook.com/tarzana-yard.htm

I also had a gray water system to water a long hedge row. It was a simple 2" PVC pipe from the house to the hedge row, a distance of about 20 feet. The pipe terminated at the beginning of the row, and the water ran down a little trench along the back of the row. Worked really well when I kept the weeds out of the trench.

I had the kitchen sink connected to the system at first, but that did not work out well because of little food scraps attracting insects. I put the kitchen sink back on the regular waste system and used only the shower and bathroom wash basin for the gray water. There was no storage or settlement tank. It was very simple and, of course, very illegal.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 10, 2008, 11:40 AM)

Judy in Ags

May 10, 2008, 3:14 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6149 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Water Gardens

We don't have a water garden, but we do recycle our grey water. We are in the process of finishing a huge cistern at the lowest spot on the lot. It collects all the rain water runoff and the grey water. We can also buy pipas of reclyled water during the dry season and add it to the grey/rain water through 4" pipe (which runs from the street to the cistern) when the water level in the cistern gets low. The cistern water is pumped to a water tank on a higher level and then released to water the plants, bushes using gravity flow. We have an underground system that runs to all our trees and bushes.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4