Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Bloviator

May 5, 2008, 2:01 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5074 views)

Shortcut

Crossing at Douglas/Naco, AZ

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been checking and it seems that it is only a few miles further (50-150) to go from Ajijic to San Diego through Douglas, AZ. Since I'm really bored with the coast route, I am thinking of going that way, through Zacatecas, Torreon, then back roads to Douglas - or probably Naco would be less waiting time. Does anyone have information about that route and the crossings at Douglas or Naco? Where can I turn in my import sticker if I go that way?

DickH

May 5, 2008, 7:11 AM

Post #2 of 9 (5064 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bloviator] Crossing at Douglas/Naco, AZ

Naco is indeed a good crossing (we have used it to cross from 15 going to New Mexico) but there is no facility for sticker removal. There is an Aduana, but they cannot do it. The nearest is in Agua Prieta/Douglas. It's a good crossing, but much more crowded, though not like Nogales by any means.

jerezano

May 5, 2008, 7:24 AM

Post #3 of 9 (5061 views)

Shortcut

Hello Bloviator,

I know nothing about Torreón going North. But from Ajijic to Torreón is all excellent highway.

Autopista from Guadalajara to Aguascalientes. Autopista from Aguascalientes to Fresnillo, Zacatecas (completely bypassing Zacatecas city). This bypass is not yet on the maps and will cut at least an extra hour from your trip. Very good 2 lane or 2 one and a half lanes highway from Fresnillo to Torreón. No difficult grades or mountain driving on this route as far as Torreón.

The only real problem on this route is the hour it takes to bypass Aguascalientes by either the North or South 3rd Anillo (periférico).

Somebody here can give you instructions North out of Torreón on up to Durango etc.

Remember, if you have an FM3 you don't need to turn in your car's temporary import sticker unless you are going for good.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

drmike

May 5, 2008, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 9 (5055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Crossing at Douglas/Naco, AZ

We've crossed at Naco and Agua Prieta many times. It is true you can no longer turn in your vehicle sticker in Naco (up until last year you could), now you must go through Agua Prieta. The vehicle permit office is right at the border crossing, very easy to access. Sometimes crossing in to Douglas takes a while due to the slowness of US customs (they often make you turn your engine off and open the hood for them to casually look at. Crossing back in to Mexico at Naco or Douglas is easy..at Naco you will need to pull in at the Aduana area at the crossing for inspection, but at Agua Prieta just push the light button (we've always have gotten a green light).

Enjoy
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Bloviator

May 5, 2008, 10:37 AM

Post #5 of 9 (5037 views)

Shortcut

I plan to leave the car NoB. Regardless, I will never go NoB again without getting the sticker removed. Recently we did so because our title was in transit from S. Dakota and we were only going to San Diego for some warranty work. Our car was stolen from the car dealer's lot and we were sweating bullets until the car was found in Tecate with sticker intact. They did take off all of our Guad smog control stickers and my wife's Cruz Roja volunteer sticker. Go figure.

Thanks for the information about the aduana in Agua Prieta. Can we stop there, get the sticker removed and then drive on over to Naco? If so, is it worth the effort. I hate border lines, having spent half my life in the Tijuana line.

Since it is in the Sonora desert and the area from Los Mochis to the border is quite flat, is it safe to assume that the same applies to the northern part of the road I'm considering. I expect the roads from the turn off north of Chihuahua to be less than superb, but is the land such that I won't get stuck behind 20 KPM beaters for long stretches?

(This post was edited by Bloviator on May 5, 2008, 10:44 AM)

jerezano

May 5, 2008, 12:34 PM

Post #6 of 9 (5024 views)

Shortcut

Hello Bloviator,

Dick you asked:>>Can we stop there, get the sticker removed and then drive on over to Naco? <<

The answer if yes if you do not go out of the border zone where you do not need an import sticker. I know nothing about those highways, but farther south in Texas Mexico has highways paralleling the frontier, just as we do on the Northern side. However if you do go out of the border zone and encounter check points either back in or out, you can go no farther. You will have to retreat.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

drmike

May 5, 2008, 2:32 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5009 views)

Shortcut

The road from Agua Prieta to Naco is a bit challenging due to the trucks and relatively narrow lanes but it is flat and we've never had a problem. Crossing at Naco has never been a hassel (except once being lectured to by the customs agent about the dangers of traveling into Mexico). The road from Naco will take you into Bisbee in about 15 minutes.

If you have the time I would suggest that you stop in Bisbee. It's mountainous around Bisbee but excellent roads.While you are there, if you've never been then stop and spend a couple of hours in Bisbee visiting the galleries and museum. The road out of Bisbee toward Tucson (and I-10) goes through Tombstone which makes an interesting visit, also. A few miles from Tombstone is St. David, a prosperous mormon community, that has a beautiful monastery to visit and what must be the world smallest art gallery on the main street. The lady who owns it has a sign that basically says, "she's open when she feels like it". If she's open you'll enjoy talking with her and seeing her primitive art.

I feel like a southeastern Arizona tour guide.

It's a good way to travel, I believe.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

(This post was edited by drmike on May 5, 2008, 2:46 PM)

Bloviator

May 5, 2008, 4:02 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Crossing at Douglas/Naco, AZ

One reason to go that way would be to visit Bisbee and spend the night (at the Copper Queen if there is room. I love that hotel). I spent a summer there once when I had a fellowship. I loved it then and have enjoyed it since, though it was a real town then - just after the mines closed down and you could buy a house almost anywhere in town for $5,000 (that's dollars, not pesos).

Judy in Ags

May 5, 2008, 8:00 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4980 views)

Shortcut

There is a bypass around Aguascalientes that is partially finished. It has cut our trip to our friend's house by about 70%. Unfortunately, it's not finished far enough to help us getting out of the city when going to the States. We figure it will cut an hour off our time in leaving the city. So, you are right, about an hour getting through Aguascalientes. Of course that could be cut some (or increased) depending on the time of day.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4