Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tfyoung

Apr 20, 2008, 1:21 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7454 views)

Shortcut

Local Cerveza in Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning to visit Veracruz state in late May. Are there any beers brewed in Veracruz? We are, of course, familiar with the standard Mexican beers; Corona, Carta Blanca, Dos XX, Pacifico, Victoria, Sol, Negra Modelo, etc. And believe me, we can get by just fine with those. But are there any less well-known beers that we should try while in the area?

raferguson

Apr 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Local Cerveza in Veracruz

It has always been a disappointment to me that Mexico has so few local beers. They all seem to be brewed by a few large brewers. Maybe it is part of the tendency of Mexican business to have limited competition, good for business, bad for the consumer.

The only local or regional beer that I know of is Montejo, from the Yucatan. Not sure if that is still an independent company, etc.

In my recent trip to southern Veracruz, I did not find any local beers, just ones brewed by the big companies. I saw one brand I had not seen before, but from one of the big companies.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

zabadave

Apr 22, 2008, 5:06 PM

Post #3 of 4 (7400 views)

Shortcut

The recommendation of Montejo beer is a good one. Enjoyed this local brew in city of Veracruz. It comes from
just outside Veracruz State...in Oaxaca, a small city on a big river:Tuxtepec, Oaxaca.
I was surprised to find this a brewery town; Mexico has endless surprises!

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

May 1, 2008, 9:59 PM

Post #4 of 4 (7356 views)

Shortcut

The Cerveceria Moctezuma(owned by FEMSA) http://www.ccm.com.mx/ is in the city of Orizaba, Veracruz, about an hour and a half from Xalapa. It is a large industrial brewery and I think there are daily tours. A dark beer, "Casta", made in Monterrey, is one of my favorites but cost double.
¡Salud y buen provecho!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4