Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Zorro13

Apr 15, 2008, 7:47 AM

Post #1 of 44 (14413 views)

Shortcut

Newbie for the Lake area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here's what I will need in a mail forwarding service? I hope somebody can direct me to such a service.

I want to be able to order items from NOB businesses. Mostly it will be new clothing or small personal appliances. How would this work? Are there likely to be heavy taxes imposed by Mexico? Are the costs of receiving packages prohibitive?

Thank you all in advance for your time and attention in this matter. I hope to be making my transfer to Lakeside within the next couple of months?

Gringal

Apr 15, 2008, 8:09 AM

Post #2 of 44 (14396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorro13] Newbie for the Lake area

Mail Boxes Etc., accepts packages from the U.S. but the duty and their fees will be high.
If you wish to contact them:
Mail Boxes Etc.
Carreterra Chapala-Jocotepec #144
San Antonio Tlayacapan
Jalisco, CP 45900

There is another mail service, Handy Mail, but they do not accept packages

esperanza

Apr 15, 2008, 8:22 AM

Post #3 of 44 (14392 views)

Shortcut

IMHO, the cost of receiving packages in Mexico is prohibitive. Duty costs can be as much as 500% (that's not a typo) of the cost of the article. MBE is notorious for charging "handling" charges that can also be in excess of the cost of the article being shipped to you. In addition, lots of package mail disappears between its point of origin and its destination.

If it's absolutely necessary to receive a package, lots of us use our Stateside friends and relatives as mules. When someone's coming down for a visit, have the package sent to him/her for transport into Mexico.

However, over time you'll find that most everything you want or need is available here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Apr 15, 2008, 9:25 AM

Post #4 of 44 (14376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Newbie for the Lake area

Hello Newbie for the Lake area,

esperanza said:>>However, over time you'll find that most everything you want or need is available here.

True unless you have strange body sizes like tall or XXX large(not me) or size 12 shoes.

If you plan to make semiannual or more frequent trips back to the States, then you might consider mail boxes which do not forward and do not charge those sky-high fees. Mine in Hidalgo, Texas will receive and hold packages as long as I pay for my box. Large box $100 dollars a year. They do charge $2 us dollars extra for some packages which require signature, but not all. That is a one time fee and no charge for the holding. Some mail boxes want a daily holding charge in addition. Mine will deliver the mail to anyone whom I authorize to pick it up. But in my own case of frequent trips north this works out quite well and I seldom have to make that authorization. A letter or an e mail in possesion of the authorized person is sufficient.

Hasta luego. jerezano

skelleyhoutex

Apr 16, 2008, 2:33 PM

Post #5 of 44 (14325 views)

Shortcut

I do have a strange size shoe for Mexico - very narrow. I have ordered shoes and had them sent through Mail Boxes. I paid the duty, postage and handling. It was probably 1/3 the price of the item so choose carefully. Every package I expected (prescription medicine, etc.) has gotten here.

zoekatz

May 26, 2009, 2:47 PM

Post #6 of 44 (14070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skelleyhoutex] Newbie for the Lake area

Be careful. I ordered some clothing and shoes from Land's End once and the duty cost me as much as what I paid for the items. Never again! ZK

Rolly

May 26, 2009, 4:59 PM

Post #7 of 44 (14054 views)

Shortcut

I have ordered clothing from NoB twice. The first time the order was sent by the vendor. I paid a very heft import duty -- more than the cost of the item. The second time I had some shirts sent to my sister who repackged them and send them to me by mail. They arrived in one week without any duty charge. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Rolly Pirate

moonfam5

May 27, 2009, 11:27 PM

Post #8 of 44 (13979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Newbie for the Lake area

Just about everything you could need can be found at Costco, Sam's, WalMart, or the Mexican equivalent, which the name escapes my mind right now.
WinkThe more I learn, I less I know.

Gringal

May 28, 2009, 9:54 AM

Post #9 of 44 (13944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [moonfam5] Newbie for the Lake area

You're right. We started out ordering from the states, bleeding cash on the duty and quickly started looking for what we really needed at all the stores you mentioned, plus Liverpool for a few other things.

Looking at labels, we had discovered that most of the brands we had relied on in the past were actually made anywhere but in the U.S.A, ....so we started actively trying to obtain "made in Mexico" items.
Doesn't always work...but one tries.

moonfam5

May 28, 2009, 10:30 AM

Post #10 of 44 (13939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Newbie for the Lake area

Also depending on where the product was manufactured, the import taxes can differ quite a bit.
WinkThe more I learn, I less I know.

viejogatomalo

May 29, 2009, 5:51 AM

Post #11 of 44 (13887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [moonfam5] Newbie for the Lake area

I use Estafeta and do most of my purchases from Amazon. The only excessive duty was on glass items that I have noticed.
They will deliver to MBE (for a 20 peso handling fee by MBE, of course).
R

La Isla

Jun 3, 2009, 6:51 PM

Post #12 of 44 (13761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoekatz] Newbie for the Lake area

In Reply To
Be careful. I ordered some clothing and shoes from Land's End once and the duty cost me as much as what I paid for the items. Never again! ZK

prmjcm

Jun 3, 2009, 7:57 PM

Post #13 of 44 (13753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viejomalogato] Newbie for the Lake area

What is MBE, I would like to order from amazon, could you explain more about the process please.

Pat

Axixic

Jun 4, 2009, 4:28 AM

Post #14 of 44 (13736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] Newbie for the Lake area

Check out Merkalink. If you have multiple shipments, Merkalink will hold all of your packages until all arrive at its U.S. address and repackage everything (if needed) to lower costs and simplify shipping. Merkalink also handles all import to Mexico and tells you all charges ahead of time.

http://www.merkalink.com/index.asp

prmjcm

Jun 4, 2009, 10:11 AM

Post #15 of 44 (13709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PamelaDelafield] Newbie for the Lake area

Pamela thank you for the information it was very helpful, but it said something about taxes is this a mexican or a us tax i registered with them and would like to order things so again thank you for the help and any more you can tell me.

Pat

Axixic

Jun 4, 2009, 1:11 PM

Post #16 of 44 (13692 views)

Shortcut

I think the tax means duty. From what I understand from others, the duty is less through Merkalink because they are there to get it through customs and know how to do it. I haven't used it yet but need to. I need some electronics from Ebay and if I buy "used" Merkalink puts that on the outside of the package and as far as I know, there is no duty on used equipment.

Rolly

Jun 4, 2009, 2:34 PM

Post #17 of 44 (13681 views)

Shortcut

"there is no duty on used equipment."

Hummm...That's the first time I've heard that. Can this be so?

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Jun 4, 2009, 3:13 PM

Post #18 of 44 (13672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Newbie for the Lake area

The site states in fine print that used computer equipment cannot be imported. Illegal. Best to check that.

La Isla

Jun 4, 2009, 4:51 PM

Post #19 of 44 (13657 views)

Shortcut

I often order books and CDs from Amazon.com and have them sent directly to my Correos Mexicanos P.O.Box. All of my orders have arrived in a timely fashion, and I've never had to pay customs duties.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Jun 4, 2009, 4:52 PM)

Axixic

Jun 4, 2009, 5:40 PM

Post #20 of 44 (13650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Newbie for the Lake area

Books and CD don't have a duty on them.

bournemouth

Jun 4, 2009, 5:42 PM

Post #21 of 44 (13649 views)

Shortcut

Actually I think there was a change in the customs regulations regarding books etc. at least a year ago. They do draw duty but it very often is not charged.

Axixic

Jun 4, 2009, 5:42 PM

Post #22 of 44 (13649 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The site states in fine print that used computer equipment cannot be imported. Illegal. Best to check that.

Who is trying to import used computer equipment? Electronics does not mean computers. They are two different words. Look it up.

bournemouth

Jun 4, 2009, 6:07 PM

Post #23 of 44 (13639 views)

Shortcut

Pamela - was that really necessary??

Papirex

Jun 4, 2009, 6:17 PM

Post #24 of 44 (13638 views)

Shortcut

I have used Merkalink several times, Including shipping me a “refurbished” (used) desktop computer and a wireless N router, the box for the router was clearly marked “made in China” in large letters on the outside of the box. Both items were taxed at the normal 15% rate for electronics.

Merkalink gives you a Laredo, Texas address. You pay the US vendor for shipping to Laredo, and Merkalink has their own customs broker who determines the amount of import taxes due, an invoice must accompany your order for the broker to determine the amount of import taxes.

Sometimes, when the vendor does not include an invoice with the order, but sends me an invoice separately via email, Merkalink will send you an email requesting the invoice. They have always accepted an emailed copy of the invoice when I send it to them. Merkalink then sends you an email stating the total amount that your credit card will be charged, including the import taxes and shipping charges via Estafeta to your Mexican address. Estafeta is one of the best shipping companies in México, as good as FedEx, UPS, etc. You will be given a tracking number and you may track the progress of your shipment as it moves through México.

To find the items that are prohibited to be imported, go to the Merkalink home page
http://www.merkalink.com.mx/index.asp
and put your cursor over the tab at the top of the page labeled “Cómo funciona Merkalink.” Click on “importacion” on the drop down menu that appears. You can then click on “artículos prohibitos para importación.”

I have never had any problems with anything sent to me via Estafeta, The packages have never been opened, and nothing is ever missing. And they never call us on the phone 2 or 3 times to find out how to find our house like FedEx and UPS always do.

You may refuse an order if you think the charges are too high, but you are then obligated to pay to ship the items back to the sender. I had to do that once when one of our daughters tried to send us a box that contained some food items among other things. There was no meat, vegetables, or anything fresh in the box. I called them, but Merkalink was adamant, they will not ship any food of any kind.

Be fluent in Spanish or have someone that is to help you when using their website. There are no monthly fees for using Merkalink, after you register with them, you only pay whenever you use their service.

Overall, I am pleased with their service.

Rex

Save the earth, it is the only planet with chocolate.
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Papirex

Jun 4, 2009, 6:33 PM

Post #25 of 44 (13634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Newbie for the Lake area

About 4 or 5 years ago President Fox proposed an import tax on books. The Congress did not approve of that tax. About that time, several of the shipping companies and mail forwarding services started charging import “taxes” on books. Those “taxes” were and are spurious. There are no import taxes on books.

I would stop doing business with any company that claims there is a tax on books.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4