Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Legionayr

Apr 3, 2008, 9:24 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3386 views)

Shortcut

Language school in Merida, Yucatan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone had experience with any of the immersion language courses offered by a variety of institutes in Merida? Can anyone make a recommendation?

TIA

Jeff

jerezano

Apr 3, 2008, 10:21 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Legionayr] Language school in Merida, Yucatan

Hello,

Jeff asked:>>Has anyone had experience with any of the immersion language courses offered by a variety of institutes in Merida? Can anyone make a recommendation?

Yes, I can highly recommend the Institute of Modern Spanish in Mérida. It is a no-nonsense educational institution which seriously teaches Spanish. Its professors are professors in the Mexican education system. It is reasonable in cost, can provide excellent in-home stays, one or two "outings" including a free city tour, and is located away from the center so it is quiet but with excellent bus connections. The institute offers a bus service from the home stays to the campus and return.

Do not expect that Institute to offer classes in cooking, guitar, or other types of entertainment. That is not their purpose. If you want entertainment you will have to visit the city nightly where the offerings from cultural to pop never cease. In one week there I enjoyed a guitar recital, a choral recital, a symphony, and missed a drama. I deliberatly passed up two free folkloric presentations and two free mob events with rockeros.

The institute has a web site with more infomation. Make a google search.

Remember that Mérida is tropical. It is HOT there.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

Rolly

Apr 3, 2008, 10:29 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Language school in Merida, Yucatan

http://www.modernspanish.com/

Rolly Pirate

yucatandreamer

Apr 3, 2008, 10:30 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Legionayr] Language school in Merida, Yucatan

I am familiar with C.I.S., Centro de Idiomas del Sureste,having been an ESL teacher there and also a Beginners Spanish Language student. I did not use their home stay as we have a house here in town. I think that they are a good school and can recommend them.
I have had no other experience with Spanish Language classes . Do I speak fluent Spanish? No. Did I practice and continue to study? No. I think that they offer you every opportunity to learn Spanish at any level, but like all language schools your success is mostly up to you. Do plan to study here in the cooler months as in April May and June, it is too hot to think.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4