Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Dave

Mar 19, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim and Linda] Looking for home to buy or rent in Morelia

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife & I have narrowed down our future home to either Morelia or one other location. You said that Morelia has grabbed your hearts. We are very impressed with it, but do you mind if I ask what you especially like about Morelia?

David

Linda in Morelia

Mar 20, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dave] Looking for home to buy or rent in Morelia

David, what we love about Morelia....

First and foremost the beautiful colonial architecture in Centro Historico. 210 blocks of old stone buildings (many of which are cantera stone) that make me feel that I have been transported back in time several centuries.

It is clear that Morelianos take great pride in their city. It is amazingly clean; rarely do we see litter on the streets. When locals talk about their city, their faces light up.

The ability to live a lifestyle on foot. We have a car parked in a garage here ($65/month), but we rarely use it. We can walk most everywhere we want to go. Within a 10-15 minute walk of our apartment is a wide selection of restaurants, museums, theaters (including a movie theater), two large mercados, lots of resident serving tiendas (laundromats, hardware stores, etc.) and the drop dead gorgeous cathedral. We never tire of looking at the cathedral, especially at night, when it is lit up. For destinations that are a little further, we often take a taxi instead of driving because the taxi's are reasonable (25 pesos for most destinations) and it's less of a hassle. Taxis are everywhere, you never have to wait more than a minute to find one. The traffic in Centro Historico is bad -- lots of it, hard to find parking places, etc. If you don't enjoy walking, this may not be the best spot for you. Personally, I would consider living in Centro without a car, using taxi's when needed for local transportation and renting a car for day trips.

Morelia seems to us like a manageable city...in contrast to Guadalajara, where we lived for 3 months, which seemed far too spread out. We feel that we can get our arms around Morelia. We were forever getting lost in Guadalajara, but Morelia is easy.

A great language school...Baden-Powell Institute where we study Spanish. This school also has fully furnished apartments for rent ($800/month) a block away from the school.

Even though Centro Historico has the noise associated with any city of this size (population somewhere between 750,000 and 1,000,000), it seems relatively quiet to us (compared to Guadalajara). When you are inside of old buildings with very thick walls, you don't hear much noise.

We have found a few good friends here, which makes living here that much sweeter.

Enjoy your adventure!

Linda

cristalhombre

Mar 20, 2008, 7:27 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7274 views)

Shortcut

I want to "ditto" Linda's comments about Morelia.

Last month, I spent a week in Michoacan, Morelia and Patzcuaro. I was very impressed with Morelia, where I toured a couple of days - WALKING everywhere. Linda is correct that the city is easy to navigate on foot. What a fantastic urban area it is. MUCH cleaner than Jalisco. Beautiful colonial areas around el centro. Nice suburban neighborhoods, ring the city. It appears to be a very vibrant and healthy urban area. It is a city where a car would be TOTALLY optional. As a seasonal "Mexi-gringo" that is a huge PLUS, not to have to deal with a car.

Housing is plentiful and much less $$$ than the Chapala area, where I tend to hang out, when I have a chance to escape to Mexico. (My quick math tells me that real estate is maybe 30% less than the Lakeside area)

If I was just beginning my Mexico exploration........... I would be looking at Morelia seriously too!

I spent a week at the CELEP language school in Patzcuaro and their program is very good! Great teachers. Next time I come down I will try the Baden-Powell school, I understand it is excellent. The other benefit for me, a serious wanna-be student of espanol.......I have to attempt to speak and understand Spanish in an area like Morelia. Very little English there (except in the tourist areas). I liked that the BEST of my visit to Michoacan!

Happy trails!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Linda in Morelia

Mar 20, 2008, 7:40 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Looking for home to buy or rent in Morelia

I keep on thinking of more things I love about Morelia. For example, there are many cultural events each week, including many live performances of music, dance, theater. Many of these events are free, to boot. A few days ago, we attended a performance by the national company of jazz dancing -- excellent performance, cost: 80 pesos/person. Morelia has one (or two, can't remember) international film festivals a year, an international organ festival in May and mucho mas. Check out http://www.moreliainvita.com/index.php.

Linda

cristalhombre

Mar 20, 2008, 8:17 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7266 views)

Shortcut

Mexico is such a BARGAIN!! Great entertainment on the cheap.

I was just thinking of this past Monday night, when my wife, 16 year old daughter, and I, attended the Oregon Symphony, "Women in Blues", concert with Betty LaVette, Marci Ball and Shemekia Copeland.........an amazing event. However................. $47.00 USD per seat (plus the bogus Ticket Master handling charge of 6 bucks a ticket).

$160 bucks would have paid for a three months worth of events in MX!

One day I will figure this all out and MOVE! Until then I just get to dream...............................

I tried to get tickets to Bob Dylan in Guadalajara (I think the date was Feb 27) but I couldn't navigate the Website. It appeared tickets were about $25 usd. That concert here would have been $80 - $125 bucks a ticket (my guess). Did anyone see Dylan in MX??

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

whistler

May 25, 2008, 8:53 AM

Post #6 of 9 (7152 views)

Shortcut

The house I rented when first moving to Moreila is very nice, and now available - by week, month, or 6 months. 2 bedroms. In colonia Molina de Parras, in el Centro. All utilites, internet, washer dryer included. Secluded spot on west side of Centro... Let me know if you want contact information.

RogerTX

Dec 11, 2008, 7:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Looking for home to buy or rent in Morelia

Hi,

I see your post is a few months old but since I'm in Morelia, I thought I'd check in with you and see if you still have it for rent.

Please let me know when you can. Of course, if not, perhaps you can point me in the right direction in terms of where I should be looking?

Thanks!

Chuck77

Oct 21, 2012, 11:33 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4593 views)

Shortcut

Are there Baden Powell and CELEP schools in SMA? And, is Morelia about 60 miles from SMA?
Thank you for your response, Chuck

Anonimo

Oct 21, 2012, 5:16 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chuck77] Looking for home to buy or rent in Morelia

As far as I know, Baden Powell School and CELEP have no branches in SMA. But, of course, there are other language schools there, some highly regarded.

If you will look at a map, you can see how far apart Morelia and SMA are.
http://goo.gl/maps/2ie3T

Looks like about 117 miles/188 kms.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4