Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

viajita

Mar 15, 2008, 1:32 PM

Post #1 of 10 (13782 views)

Shortcut

Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know a source for the beautiful old Mexican floor tiles seen in the Colonial homes?

bournemouth

Mar 15, 2008, 2:07 PM

Post #2 of 10 (13776 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Do you mean these tiles:

http://www.originalmissiontile.com/

Gringal

Mar 15, 2008, 2:17 PM

Post #3 of 10 (13775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

I tried to bring that site up on my laptop, but it wanted to install a flashplayer first, so I passed on that.

Are those the same ones we have in our casa? Deep red, about 8 inches square? I'd love to buy some to replace the really tired ones, but nobody seems to know where they can be purchased.

Rolly

Mar 15, 2008, 3:16 PM

Post #4 of 10 (13766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Take the Flash Player. Many website use that to show video and animations.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Mar 15, 2008, 3:28 PM

Post #5 of 10 (13763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

I believe that what the OP wants are what are known as pasta tiles. They're difficult to find, but gloriously beautiful if you can get them. A fantastic example of these tiles is installed at Restaurante La O in Guadalajara. The food's also well worth going for: fixed price menu (130 pesos plus drinks) is a steal for what they offer. And you get to look at the floors!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Mar 15, 2008, 8:11 PM

Post #6 of 10 (13742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Gringal - these are the incredibly ornate tiles that you see in old buildings in Merida, in old churches etc. Not the comparatively simple red ones. There has got still to be manufacturers of mosaico tile, cement based, somewhere in the Jalisco area.

toddmc

Mar 16, 2008, 6:35 AM

Post #7 of 10 (13720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

If anyone is looking for pasta style tiles here in Patzcuaro there is a company here called Hacienda Studios

You can see their product here: http://www.haciendastudios.com

I understand they have a high quality product, but at a fairly steep price.

One of my neighbours had been pricing similar product in Merida, and even after adding in the cost of shipping from the Yucatan, the Patzcuaro tile was still 50% more expensive.

Todd

NEOhio1

Mar 16, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #8 of 10 (13712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

There should be more info on pasta tiles if the OP does a search here for previous posts. I remember additional sources cited in those posts.

They are just beautiful. Thanks for the Patzcuaro info, I will definitely stop in next trip that direction.

beatricemor

Mar 18, 2008, 8:57 AM

Post #9 of 10 (13665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Mosaico downtown Guadalajara has them from very simple to very complicated...They have some old catalogues that are pretty neat, they also have cds of the designs. Some of the floors look like oriental carpets.
The floors get shinier as they get older, they are also the worst floors I ever had in the kitchen, everything seems to stain the white parts of the floor.
I am not in town so I cannot gice you more info on the address.

thriftqueen

Mar 18, 2008, 10:00 AM

Post #10 of 10 (13656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Old Mexican Floor Tiles

Jonna who used to be a regular poster on this forum bought an old colonial and I remember her giving a link in one of her postings to information on the old Mexican floor tiles. You might do a search for posts by Jonna.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4