Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

hunteradvisor

Mar 14, 2008, 5:01 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4621 views)

Shortcut

Hi Speed Internet Satellite Install

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am currently researching Satellite Installation in an attempt to bring internet to my small rural village of 100 people. Our nearest internet is an hour away in El Tuito. Bob Amerine in PV was installing Hughes Network, but seems to have fallen off of the planet as he doesn't return any of my emails and a phone call found him complaining that Hughes shut him down. I am at square one and have found only 2 providers, one who charges enough in a year that I could build a house. Neither provide installation. So....if anyone has experience with setting up hi speed internet from the ground up or roof down, perhaps and internet cafe or other, I would appreciate your input. Muchas Gracias!
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

johanson / Moderator

Mar 14, 2008, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Hi Speed Internet Satellite Install

I hope you are able to find some help. Satellite internet is a very expensive way to get high speed internet, but it is better than nothing when there are no other alternatives. Remember that the speeds are not that high and that if you download too much that your speeds are choked way down.

So if your plan is to have it for one or two families, no problem. But if you want this one account for the whole village, forget it. For more information go to www.hughesnet.com and link to plans and rates and look for the term "Download threshold" which varies from 200 to 425 MB for residential customers; and up to 1250 MB for commercial customers.

RickS

Mar 14, 2008, 9:21 AM

Post #3 of 5 (4597 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Hi Speed Internet Satellite Install

Pete, do you (or anyone) have any knowledge of how a VoIP phone might perform using satellite Internet? I assume that there is some latency using satellite and therefore presume that VoIP might be problematic with it. But then, as with many of the technical issues these days, logic sometimes does not hold true!

johanson / Moderator

Mar 14, 2008, 9:44 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Hi Speed Internet Satellite Install

There has to be some delay because of the distances the signals have to travel, you know something like 3/4 of a second (I can't remember exactly the delay but I think its about 3/4 second). But then you could talk over the phone like two way radio and say "over" between conversations,

I have also heard that with newer software packages that the latency is minimized. Sadly I have no personal experience so I don't know how good or bad telephone conversation is via satellite.

Esteban

Apr 19, 2008, 7:13 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Hi Speed Internet Satellite Install

I think there is another provider besides Hughes now. And, I heard the system is much improved. There is a bed and breakfast, about six miles south of San Blas in Nayarit that swears by it. They are using VOIP without much lag. I'll see If I can find out more info in the coming weeks.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4