Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

jennifer rose

Mar 6, 2008, 5:26 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8566 views)

Shortcut

Loreto - Mexico's New Frontier

Can't Post |
http://www.nytimes.com/....html?ref=realestate

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Mar 6, 2008, 5:26 PM)

morgaine7

Mar 6, 2008, 5:37 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Loreto - Mexico's New Frontier

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thanks Jennifer. I'll repost this on my Baja forum if it's not there already. Many people in the Loreto area doubt that the water plan is sustainable for the scope of the project.

Kate

tonyburton

Mar 6, 2008, 6:21 PM

Post #3 of 9 (8552 views)

Shortcut

Not to blow my own trumpet, but see also this month's feature article on Mexico Connect:
which apart from anything else, has a much better map...
http://mexconnected.com/...icles/loretobay.html,
However, it's always nice to see that the New York Times follows where Mexico Connect leads!

For more about the Loreto region and its attractions, see also http://mexconnected.com/...articles/loreto.html, the first in a series of Baja travel articles that Mexico Connect will publish in the coming months.

Enjoy!

Marlene / Moderator

Mar 7, 2008, 10:02 AM

Post #4 of 9 (8527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Loreto - Mexico's New Frontier

Thanks so much, Tony!

RonMader

Mar 18, 2008, 11:59 PM

Post #5 of 9 (8462 views)

Shortcut

Greetings, all. I hadn't realized there was a 'North Pacific' branch to the forum so I was pleased to see a message I had posted in the general branch had been moved here.

I read with interest the MC feature on Loreto Bay as I am a fan of Tony Burton's writings, but I came away unconvinced that this program is truly green. Too many quotes from developers, not enough independent evaluation. I don't want to knock this completely, but this development project deserves more scrutiny.

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2008, 6:00 PM

Post #6 of 9 (8429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] Loreto - Mexico's New Frontier

I couldn't agree more! Loreto Bay is a work in progress and it will be very interesting to see how the entire undertaking develops, but it is certainly a major step up (environmentally speaking) from most coastal developments in Mexico completed to date.

RonMader

Mar 23, 2008, 6:20 PM

Post #7 of 9 (8425 views)

Shortcut

Can it really be a step up in progress if it doesn't include local participation? The development seems to continue the top-down model. I think this is another Huatulco, some good ideas but without the local input.

Maybe the new frontier would be asking locals what they want and working with them to make that work.

(This post was edited by RonMader on Mar 23, 2008, 6:23 PM)

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2008, 6:46 PM

Post #8 of 9 (8418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RonMader] Loreto - Mexico's New Frontier

I don't think it is anything like Huatulco. The developers of Loreto Bay (where there were no locals) appear to be doing plenty to ensure that a good chunk of revenue goes directly to projects to help nearby Loreto achieve pretty much whatever that town wants, starting with sports teams and a major hospital upgrade. I agree, though, that's it too early to judge or evaluate Loreto Bay fully, so time will tell.

rogerj1

Mar 1, 2009, 10:45 PM

Post #9 of 9 (8230 views)

Shortcut

What a difference 1 year makes. Loreto Bay has changed hands and sales have cooled off a bunch. This project has been the source of heated debate on the Baja Nomad board. Many believe that much of the claims of sustainability are simple marketing hype. There was also a link posted recently from an unofficial homeowners site speaking about some of the concerns home buyers have about the project.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4