Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bloviator

Mar 1, 2008, 1:11 AM

Post #1 of 44 (17113 views)

Shortcut

New Information About Nationalizing Cars

Can't Post | Private Reply
I may be trying to cover something that has already been discussed. If so, I apologize. I'm in a big hurry for information as my Jeep was stolen in San Diego a couple of days with the sticker attached. I have to do something to be allowed to bring in another car. Nationalization of my 10 year old Mercury SUV is the quickest and easiest solution if it is possible.

Yesterday when I was walking into Mexico at the Otay Mesa crossing I saw a large line of cars waiting to enter, or at least to enter an impound yard. When I asked what that was about, I was told that there is a program that is lasting for two more weeks to allow them entry into Mexico. I could not get more information as they were entering an area that was fenced off and I was schlepping four pieces of luggage.

Does anyone have any information about a nationalization program that is currently ongoing? I'm told that there is some sort of program that ends March 17.

song_of_joy

Mar 2, 2008, 1:38 PM

Post #2 of 44 (17020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bloviator] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Mexico Abruptly Restricts Car Imports
Sunday March 2, 3:57 PM EST

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) — Some are dented, scratched and rusty. Others rattle and belch under faded paint jobs. But the "'98" soaped onto their windshields and a surprise change in Mexican import rules have turned a single year's worth of used cars into pick of the used-car lot.

Beginning Monday, only cars built in 1998 — none older and none newer — can be legally imported into Mexico. Car dealers were given notice only a month ago....

The entire article can be read here:
http://money.iwon.com/...-d8v5hal80&.html

Bloviator

Mar 2, 2008, 2:44 PM

Post #3 of 44 (17007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Thanks a lot for the posting. It clears up a lot. However, it is contrary to what I was told yesterday by a person who facilitates nationalizing cars.

I don't know who I want to be correct, your article or the facilitator.

My car is a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer in good condition. If the article is correct, it will become somewhat of a gold mine and I will have little competetion after tomorrow when it comes time to get in line for whatever needs to be done to legalize it.

Since I have little information to go on, tomorrow I plan to go to the Guad airport aduana and try to wend my way through the bureaucracy to get it legalized. When I collapse from total frustration, I will find a facilitator who can accomplish the task.

However, if the article is correct, evidently I can take the car to Laredo and sell it for a good price to a dealer if any have money left after having to eat the cost of all the junkers they can no longer bring down here. If I do that then I can come back here and buy a car that is already legalized. If that is possible, it's a win-win. I get a good Mexican car, someone gets a good 1998 SUV, and the dealers all make some money.

DavidMcL

Mar 2, 2008, 3:14 PM

Post #4 of 44 (17001 views)

Shortcut

If you check on the home page, you will see a number of articles in the News Feed that explain exactly what is happening . . .
Good luck tomorrow, I hope the window of opportunity works out for you.

David
David McL
WebJefe

bournemouth

Mar 2, 2008, 3:25 PM

Post #5 of 44 (16999 views)

Shortcut

I found this article on line somewhere in Spanish on February 3rd, and we looked at all the used car lots in the Laredo/San Antonio/Austin area as we drove the freeway last week, wondering if they knew about the changes - sorry, no translation available. I think it appeared here on MexConnect - but the news has been out there for a month.

Intentan frenarimportación deautos 'chatarra' El Presidente dio a conocer nuevas medidas para el ingreso de automóviles Cuatlancingo, Puebla.- El presidente, Felipe Calderón, anunció la entrada en vigor de medidas fiscales para los vehículos importados, a fin de que compitan en México con reglas equitativas y no afecten al mercado nacional.
A partir de febrero, los autos usados que entren al País deberán tener una antigüedad de 10 años y pagarán 15% de IVA sobre el valor declarado, indica el nuevo decreto para la importación de autos usados de Estados Unidos y Canadá, próximo a publicarse.
Las disposiciones, que Reforma publicó el 28 de enero, cita que las secretarías de Economía, Hacienda y del Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, decidieron limitar la antigüedad de los vehículos usados a 10 años, ya que se permite la importación de autos hasta con quince años.
Esto aplicará en lo que entra en vigor lo que dice el Tratado de Libre Comercio que inicia el 1 de enero de 2009 en materia de importación de autos usados.
Además, las autoridades aceptaron cobrar el Impuesto al Valor Agregado (IVA) sobre el valor total del vehículo, ya que actualmente el impuesto se calcula sobre un margen de comercialización de 30% del valor de la unidad.
El nuevo decreto sólo contempla el cobro del IVA y se dejaron de lado todas las sugerencias para establecer un programa de verificación de contaminantes y de condiciones físico-mecánicas de los autos usados, señala la AMDA.
Para 2009, la Secretaría de Economía prevé la aplicación de normas ambientales y de seguridad para la importación de autos usados, con el fin de evitar la "chatarrización" del sector nacional, dijo Eduardo Sojo, titular de la dependencia.

Restringe a "yarderos" San Luis Río Colorado, Son.- Aparte de los "vaivenes" de la economía, los "yarderos" locales y agentes aduanales deberán enfrentar este año un nuevo decreto para la importación de autos usados provenientes de Estados Unidos y Canadá.
Ayer, las secretarías de Economía, Hacienda y del Medio Ambiente emitieron un decreto en el que se reduce de 15 a 10 años la antigüedad de los vehículos a importar, confirmó el secretario general de la Asociación Bajacaliforniana de Autos Usados (ABCA), Juan Villarreal Morán.
Aunque de momento prefirió no dar una opinión a fondo, hasta entonces no analizar el documento, el también agente aduanal admitió que el decreto traerá un impacto sobre la actividad.
El ordenamiento fue publicado en el Diario Oficial de la Federación y entre otros aspectos también comprende la eliminación del pedimento de importación otorgado por los agentes aduanales como requisito obligatorio para consumar el trámite, según se asienta en la redacción.
El secretario de ABCA, delegación San Luis, indicó que el decreto establece un plazo de 30 días naturales para la entrada en vigor.
Es decir, si la autoridad federal no da marcha atrás, refirió, la nueva política para la importación de vehículos se empezará a aplicar en los primeros dias de Marzo.

oldham

Mar 2, 2008, 3:54 PM

Post #6 of 44 (16990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

maybe as the story unfolds we'll hear if the new regulation applies to auto dealers only or is applicable to all.

tashby

Mar 2, 2008, 4:15 PM

Post #7 of 44 (16983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldham] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Well, I've read that article twice and I'm still confused. When the article says "import" does that only pertain to those cars which might qualify for nationalization? I ask because....

Our plan was to drive our dirty, old '94 Honda into Mexico next month carrying our shiny new FM3. I'm assuming I should still be able to do this, and that it would be legal in Mexico for as long as my FM3 status is good? But that under the current new law, I would likely never be able to nationalize it? Alternatively, is there information somewhere that indicates how long the window is open for those magical model year '98 vehicles? If the nationalize your '98 window is open long enough, it might be worth our while to ditch our old car, buy a '98 up here, and drive in on that.

Or just blow up both ideas and buy a car in Mexico. I'm tired of wasting brain cells on the topic.

Georgia

Mar 2, 2008, 4:18 PM

Post #8 of 44 (16981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Sounds like a good plan BUT I am unsure from the articles and the thread, if you need to be a Mexican national, not an FM-3 or FM-2 holder, to import a car permanently.

tashby

Mar 2, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #9 of 44 (16974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Which plan sounds good???

Yes, I also meant to mention that the article sounds like it only applies to Mexican Nationals. Oy. If it weren't for the dog we're bringing in, and preferring not to have to fly him (we can't get a non-stop), I think I long ago would have killed the idea of bringing in the car just for the simplicity of buying one down there.

EDIT: Yowsa. I just read Bloviator's other thread about having his car stolen.....sorry to intrude on this thread as I see you're in a big hurry for information. Yeesh. This car stuff is nuts.

(This post was edited by tashby on Mar 2, 2008, 4:45 PM)

bournemouth

Mar 2, 2008, 4:49 PM

Post #10 of 44 (16969 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] AP info on Nationalizing Cars

Tashby - no problems with you bringing the Honda in on your FM3 - you are not trying to nationalize it, just have it here with you under its US/Canadian plates. You agree to return the car to the US/Canada when the permit expires so it will not be staying here.

travisdyer

Mar 2, 2008, 7:38 PM

Post #11 of 44 (16940 views)

Shortcut

Re: Just to clear some things up

All vehicles with model years falling between 1993 and 1998 can still be nationalized until March 18, at the current tax rate. After that date, only those made in 1998 will be allowed. Now, one very important thing. After March 18th, the '98 vehicles will cost three times more to nationalize than they currently cost.

This nationalization must be done by a Mexican citizen. Your gardener or neighbor might be willing to help you. In other words, if they'll "loan" you a copy of their credencial de elector, for the paperwork process, you can get your vehicle nationalized.

However, with falling values of Mexican vehicles, it may be cheaper and easier just to buy a Mexican vehicle.

Nationalization costs currently run between $300 and $1,100 U.S. dollars. Most range between $600-$900.

I hope this helps, and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to reply or send me a private message. I am a broker, and I can offer free advice to anyone that is interested.

oldham

Mar 3, 2008, 7:08 AM

Post #12 of 44 (16905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Just to clear some things up

thanks for the details. would it follow that next year, 2009, or whenever mexico begins it's fiscal year, 1999 model year vehicles would be eligible for nationalization?

Rolly

Mar 3, 2008, 7:38 AM

Post #13 of 44 (16897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldham] Just to clear some things up

It is risky to apply logic to regulations in México.

Rolly Pirate

travisdyer

Mar 3, 2008, 9:21 AM

Post #14 of 44 (16861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Just to clear some things up

Oldham, apparently, that would be the case. In years past, the next vehicle model year has been allowed starting November 1st. We are kind of in a "wait and see" period, regarding what will happen in November. Some of my colleagues believe that Mexico will again allow a 5 model year window, while others think that it will still only allow ten year old vehicles. Their guesses are as good as mine.

One very important thing to remember is that these changes do not effect pick-ups.

Rolly, you are definitely right about that!

oldham

Mar 3, 2008, 10:24 AM

Post #15 of 44 (16852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Just to clear some things up

travisdyre---happy to hear your call on this. my mexican friend wants to be able to have his 1999 f250 ford pickup nationalized when he returns to mexico. this will be good news for him.

Bloviator

Mar 3, 2008, 12:15 PM

Post #16 of 44 (16826 views)

Shortcut

I went to the Guad office that should handle nationalizing autos. They turned me away on the basis that my temporary import sticker is out of date. According to them - and contrary to every thing I have heard elsewhere - we are required to go to the border every six months to replace the sticker. Since I had not done that, I have to go to the border to get the sticker removed and then get it nationalized.

I have a call in to another person who may be able to help, but it is not looking good.

Before we went to Guad, we went to Chapala, where the Spanish speaking lady who was helping me had nationalized her car two months ago. They were of the same opinion, that my temporary import sticker was out of date and I was driving around illegally. This precluded him even considering my request for nationalization. Further discussion with the young lady brought out that she had done her paperwork with her consul in CA and the trip to Chapala was to arrange for licence plates.

I believe that Rolly and others who know the Mexican law have stated repeatedly that as long as my FM3 is up to date and valid, my temporary import sticker is valid. The officials at both offices stated that this is not the case and that to be legal one must go back to the border and get a new sticker each six months. I explained politely to the officials that people who have carefully read the law have told me that I am not illegal to keep the sticker more than six months, but they were both adament and Adam ant is a very stubborn ant.

shoe

Mar 4, 2008, 5:33 AM

Post #17 of 44 (16772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bloviator] Just to clear some things up

When you obtain your FM3, you FMT temporary sticker is valid for a year (check with a lawyer if you wish). You have to go to a border within that year and get the temporary sticker removed and get one that is tied to your FM3 wich is then good for as long as you have a current FM3. Most people do not do this and are driving with expired FMT stickers.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Bloviator

Mar 4, 2008, 5:42 AM

Post #18 of 44 (16768 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Just to clear some things up

I came on an FM3 and my cars are tied to our FM3s. This did not move the bureacrats. They insist - erroneously - that I'm driving illegally since my sticker is over 6 months old.

When/if I go back, I intend to take the following with me to show them:

ARTICULO 106. SE ENTIENDE POR REGIMEN DE IMPORTACION TEMPORAL, LA ENTRADA AL PAIS DE MERCANCIAS PARA PERMANECER EN EL POR TIEMPO LIMITADO Y CON UNA FINALIDAD ESPECIFICA, SIEMPRE QUE RETORNEN AL EXTRANJERO EN EL MISMO ESTADO, POR LOS SIGUIENTES PLAZOS

IV. POR EL PLAZO QUE DURE SU CALIDAD MIGRATORIA, INCLUYENDO SUS PRORROGAS, EN LOS SIGUIENTES CASOS:

A) LAS DE VEHICULOS PROPIEDAD DE EXTRANJEROS QUE SE INTERNEN AL PAIS CON CALIDAD DE INMIGRANTES RENTISTAS O DE NO INMIGRANTES, EXCEPTO TRATANDOSE DE REFUGIADOS Y ASILADOS POLITICOS, SIEMPRE QUE SE TRATE DE UN SOLO VEHICULO.

Rolly

Mar 4, 2008, 6:33 AM

Post #19 of 44 (16760 views)

Shortcut

Shoe, where did you get that information? It is contrary to my understanding of the law.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Mar 4, 2008, 7:08 AM

Post #20 of 44 (16753 views)

Shortcut

I heard that story before too. When we did go to the border the first time with a sticker that had started out on an FMT and moved over with our new FM3's, they did say they had to remove the sticker and we had to get a new one. Since then, no problems - we've always been told that it does not have to be removed. This at the Nogales crossing point.

It would be nice to find a formal reference to the idea - if there is not one, then it is yet another fairy tale about car permits and visas.

Rolly

Mar 4, 2008, 7:20 AM

Post #21 of 44 (16749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Just to clear some things up

What happened to you at the broader is exactly right. The rule, as I understand it, says that it is OK to drive within México with the FMT-issued sticker after you get an FM3, but it should be turned in when exiting the country.

Actually, one should always turn in the permit when exiting to avoid unforeseen problems that prevent the car from returning. So many sad stories I have read from folks who didn't!!!

Rolly Pirate

Georgia

Mar 4, 2008, 7:37 AM

Post #22 of 44 (16743 views)

Shortcut

I think Shoe is referring to those who enter on an FMT with their car, get a sticker, then get their FM-2 or FM-3 while here in Mexico. They do have to return and get the new sticker under their new migratory status.

shoe

Mar 4, 2008, 9:56 PM

Post #23 of 44 (16677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Just to clear some things up

Georgia, that is correct. Sorry I did not explain it better.

Rolly, the information came from my notario that helped me get my FM# while in Mexico. It was also explained to me by a lawyer.

Many people do not do this and they drive around on a expired FMT sticker.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

N2Futur

Jun 12, 2009, 11:56 AM

Post #24 of 44 (16365 views)

Shortcut

We applied for and received our new FM3's in Manzanillo last November. In January we drove our car up to Arizona and had the sticker that tied the car to the FMT, removed. When we returned, a new sticker was issued that tied it to the FM3.

Shoe is correct. AND - the new car permit had the same expiration date as our FM3, which was way more than 180 days!

Elke

sparks

Jun 12, 2009, 12:09 PM

Post #25 of 44 (16363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Just to clear some things up

But .... your FM3 visa will expire just as did the FMT and you'll be back in the same situation. if anyone has been called on the FMT permit it must be extremely rare and what were the consequences or those cases (not rumors)

Does it say somewhere on the sticker the type of visa you entered on. Or - how whould the police check if it's not obvious

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Jun 12, 2009, 12:17 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4