Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N2Futur

Jun 12, 2009, 12:36 PM

Post #26 of 44 (4514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Just to clear some things up

Can't Post | Private Reply
The vehicle is now back here in Colorado (sticker removed at Nogales 2 days ago, as we are bringing in a new car end of this month). The Visa type was listed as "Turista". I pointed out to the woman that issued the sticker that we had a "Rentista FM3" and she said that it was correctly listed and that the sticker was good for the 5-year duration of the FM3. I guess we will just carry a copy of the regulation, in case the validity of the car sticker gets questioned.....

Elke

sparks

Jun 12, 2009, 1:30 PM

Post #27 of 44 (4507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Just to clear some things up

So you received a permit with an FM3 and it says Tourista (on the paper). That's what my 3 years expired FMT permit says. Can't imagine how they differ.

The 180 days means nothing except your visa expiration. It could say 42 day if you crossed 42 days before your FM3 expired

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

MazGuy

Jun 13, 2009, 8:03 AM

Post #28 of 44 (4467 views)

Shortcut

It's been my understanding that the police do not have the authority to question the status of the vehicle permits since it is the function of the Aduana (Customs). We carry a copy of Ley Aduana in our vehicles which clearly states this regulation. However, we have never been questioned about our vehicle permit status.

N2Futur

Jun 13, 2009, 10:47 AM

Post #29 of 44 (4447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazGuy] Just to clear some things up

We were on the way to Manzanillo to pick up our FM3s last December and encountered a Federales road block. We were asked to produce the permit paperwork and our visas and asked for my husband's DL. The car had been in Mexico for over a year and the officer pointed out that our FMT's were current but that the car was in the country illegally. It took a lot of talking, before he returned Vern's licence and let us go. And he told us he would a ticket ready for us when we returned from picking up our FM3's. Yeah right. I think he was fishing for mordida..... The roadblock was gone when we returned to Melaque that afternoon.

Elke

sioux4noff

Jun 13, 2009, 12:01 PM

Post #30 of 44 (4436 views)

Shortcut

The car had been in Mexico for over a year and the officer pointed out that our FMT's were current but that the car was in the country illegally.

If the car had been in Mexico over a year, but you were in Mexico on FMTs, then the car wasn't legal was it?
Your car permit is valid as long as your immigration status is valid. So, if you brought the car in on an FMT, as soon as your first FMT expired, so did your car permit. Even if you got a new FMT, your car permit doesn't transfer to a new FMT, because there would actually be a gap in your valid immigration status.
Of course, that's all water under the bridge since you know have FM3s.
But, maybe I'm missing something here.

Rolly

Jun 13, 2009, 12:24 PM

Post #31 of 44 (4424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Just to clear some things up

Yes, you are missing something. If you enter with an FMT and then get an FM3 in México, your car permit is automatically covered by your new FM3. You may continue to drive with the old permit. If you exit México, you are expected to turn in the old permit and get new one when you return that will be tied to your FM3.

Rolly Pirate

N2Futur

Jun 13, 2009, 1:36 PM

Post #32 of 44 (4414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Just to clear some things up

actually, Rolly - sioux4noff is correct. The vehicle was not legal at the time we got stopped by the Federales. We came down with my car and hubby's truck and trailer in November 2007, left my car at the new casa and made the trip back with truck/trailer in April. I flew back down in May, stayed until end of August, got a ride back to Colorado with a friend and we came back down with another load in October last year. We picked up our FM3's December 5, 2008, so the car had been in Mexico for 1 year. The Federales could have ticketed us, I guess.

Elke

Marlene

Jun 13, 2009, 1:47 PM

Post #33 of 44 (4412 views)

Shortcut

Hi Elke, do we understand you to say you brought the car in while on an FMT and then left it here when you returned north? Next trip you entered on an FMT again, and then received an FM3 during that trip?

Edit: Nevermind...you posted at the same time I was composing! Thanks.

(This post was edited by Marlene on Jun 13, 2009, 1:55 PM)

shoe

Jun 16, 2009, 6:23 AM

Post #34 of 44 (4343 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Just to clear some things up

Actually you have a year to go to the border to get a new permit when you convert to a FM2/3 from a FMT. Then that permit is valid as long as your FM2/3 stays valid.

When I got my new FM3 (NEW document required every 5 years) I asked what trail there was to my old FM3 and the girl pointed out that my old FM3 number was typed on the first page of my new FM3. That is how it could be traced for vehicle permits, she said.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Marlene

Jun 16, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #35 of 44 (4326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Just to clear some things up

I'm wondering where that information about a year came from. As Rolly posted above, if you apply for an FM3 after entering with your car on an FMT, the same car permit remains valid as long as your FM3 is valid.

Georgia

Jun 16, 2009, 4:04 PM

Post #36 of 44 (4289 views)

Shortcut

An Fm-3 is tourist status, and FM-2 is immigrant status.

lilohoco

Jun 16, 2009, 6:40 PM

Post #37 of 44 (4274 views)

Shortcut

I checked my new FM3 and I looked at all the pages. I could not find a single number referring back to my original FM3 to which my car is connected.
Is it on yours?

jerezano

Jun 17, 2009, 6:57 AM

Post #38 of 44 (4236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Just to clear some things up/ FM3 trail for car permit

Hello shoe,

You posted:>>>>>I asked what trail there was to my old FM3 and the girl pointed out that my old FM3 number was typed on the first page of my new FM3.<<<

That may be true in some jurisdictions of Immigración but not here in Zacatecas. The only tie back to your original entry is on page 3 where your original date of entry into México is shown. That tie back date will be broken only if a continuous presence in México documented by an FM3 should be broken. Should you return your FM3 to the Government and then re-enter as a tourist (FMT) before you later get a new FM3 that original entry date will be lost and a new entry date established.

Now on page 4 of your FM3 the preceding FM3 number is typed. For example: "Fecha de vencimiento (Date of expiry) xxxxxxxx: en virtud de la fecha de vencimiento de su FM3 anterior No xxxxx. (in accord with the expired date of the preceeding FM3 number xxxxxxx."

In my own case the original number of my FM3 way back in 1997 is lost to me, but of course is available to Immigration from the continuous trail in their data files.

jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jun 17, 2009, 6:59 AM)

shoe

Jun 18, 2009, 2:38 AM

Post #39 of 44 (4178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Just to clear some things up

Marlene, As I have said before, your permit that was gotten when you got your FMT expires when the visa expires, neither of which is renewable! The exception is that if you get a FM3 before your FMT expires you have a year to go to the border and get a new permit.

Every time that someone checks this out, as did N2futur when she was at the border, you will find out this is fact. Very few understand this, even at customs but this is the way it is. N2futur had to talk to a couple of people before she got the correct information.

I have checked 3 times at the border (twice at Laredo and once at Belize) , once with a lawyer, and Margo in Chapala and all confirm this. Margo is who told me in the first place and I checked it out when I was at the border and found out she is right.

And yes, Rolly and I have disagreed on this for a few years and he posts a different story. I think you should check it out for your self.

lilohoco: Yes, the old number is typed on the first page of my new FM3. The girl there said that she was told to do this for vehicle permit reasons.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

bournemouth

Jun 18, 2009, 7:04 AM

Post #40 of 44 (4162 views)

Shortcut

I have to back up Shoe on this one. The only time we have ever been told we needed to hand in our permit, was on the first trip north, through Nogales, after getting our FM3. The car permit dated to an earlier FMT. Since then, we've stopped and asked on several occasions and always been assured that the permit is good. I am not discussing the whys and wherefores of turning in your permit every time you leave the country for security reasons - but simply the points raised in the above posts.

Rolly

Jun 18, 2009, 7:07 AM

Post #41 of 44 (4161 views)

Shortcut

Shoe, thanks for the detailed information. You have made a believer out of me. I repent for my past sins.

Rolly Pirate

lilohoco

Jun 18, 2009, 8:41 AM

Post #42 of 44 (4144 views)

Shortcut

Re: shoe and jerezano: Just to clear some things up

Thanks, you guys.
But I scoured my new FM3 and nowehere is there a number link to the old one, except on page three I see the place and date of first entry, but no # anywhere. This is good to know and it shows once more that it will be different for everybody.

I can see me arguing over my ancient import paper car permit/sticker on windows, tied to a FM3visa# which appears nowhere. I think it's time to hightail it finalmente to the border to get a new sticker tied to my new visa.

Because: it is hard enough with articulo 104 in hand to prove the discrepancy of existing dates and now FM3 numbers to to the "knowledgeable" officials, let alone of numbers that do not show up.
Oh, well.
-----------------------

lilohoco: Yes, the old number is typed on the first page of my new FM3. The girl there said that she was told to do this for vehicle permit reasons.

Now on page 4 of your FM3 the preceding FM3 number is typed. For example: "Fecha de vencimiento (Date of expiry) xxxxxxxx: en virtud de la fecha de vencimiento de su FM3 anterior No xxxxx. (in accord with the expired date of the preceeding FM3 number xxxxxxx."

MichalClark

Jun 26, 2009, 3:26 AM

Post #43 of 44 (4047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldham] Just to clear some things up

In Reply To
thanks for the details. would it follow that next year, 2009, or whenever mexico begins it's fiscal year, 1999 model year vehicles would be eligible for nationalization?

Thanks for post. It’s really informative stuff.
I really like to read. u inform about a Mexico begins it's fiscal year, 1999 model year vehicles would be eligible for nationalization Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! my best regards guys!
great thanks for a share us...

======

rehaan
======
<a rel="dofollow" href="http://www.legalx.net/directory/category/estate-planning-and-administration-attorneys">Estate Planning</a>--Estate Planning

chichi928

Jun 30, 2009, 5:32 PM

Post #44 of 44 (3974 views)

Shortcut

We brought our vehicle in on an FMT and then got our FM3's while in Mexico. We have now been here for 3 years and have been pulled over not long ago. The police checked our sticker, drivers lic. and FM3 and I would think if there was a problem he would have nailed us on it. We were told by our lawyer that the car is legal as long as our FM3 is valid. No need to ever go to the border if we have a valid FM3. We also keep a copy of the law from Rolly's web site in the car but have never had to show it to anyone :)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4