Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

jaybear

Feb 29, 2008, 1:31 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2557 views)

Shortcut

agua fresca tamarindo?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I enjoyed this at a restaurant and would like a recipe. What I drank had little seeds in it plus brown puree and I suspect had a lot of sugar as well. Is it usually made fresh from tamarind seeds or can I buy bottled or canned tamarind puree? Don't tell me to harvest and grind the nuts--yes, I know I can do that but I am NOT looking to work that hard!

esperanza

Feb 29, 2008, 2:58 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] agua fresca tamarindo?

A couple of things, jaybear: tamarind is not a nut, and agua fresca de tamarindo isn't made of tamarind seeds! Tamarind is a fleshy, fibrous pod covered with a hard, brown shell. The pods are six to eight inches long, the seeds are big and dark brown, and you can find the pods at any tianguis or grocery store. Tamarindo looks like this:

http://www.kerala.com/...ages/tamarind_sm.jpg.

I'm certain you've seen the pods!

On to the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1 pound of tamarindo, taken out of the shell but WITH the seeds
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cups sugar

Preparation
In a large pot, mix the tamarindo and the water. Separate the fibers and flesh from the seeds, leaving the seeds as clean as possible.

Bring the water and tamarindo, including seeds, to a boil. Take the pot off the fire and strain the mix through a colander. Add the sugar, mix, and serve cold.

As you guessed, it's full of sugar. The acidity of the tamarindo flesh requires a lot of sugar to make it drinkable.

Tamarindo is also popular as a candy. The candy vendors at your local tianguis usually sell it. Ask for a taste. It's one of my favorite Mexican candies.

If something more adult is what you want, next time you're out to dine at your favorite upscale restaurant, ask for a martini de tamarindo. The flavor is marvelous and the glass is rimmed with salt and chile!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Mar 1, 2008, 4:56 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2523 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] agua fresca tamarindo?

Many grocery stores sell concentrates for making different aguas fescas, like jamaica, tamarindo and more.

jaybear

Mar 14, 2008, 5:00 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] agua fresca tamarindo?

I have not seen the concentrates, altho I thought of the possibility. I will look harder and also ask.

I did buy some tamarind seeds at (gasp) Soriana today, so I am prepared to try my own brew this weekend. What I tasted was a very mild brew, like a tea, in which the tamarind bit/pulp settled to the bottom after a while. It was very refreshing and not at all acidic.

Thanks for your recipe, Esperanza.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4