Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

travisdyer

Feb 28, 2008, 5:41 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6687 views)

Shortcut

Elevators and Trees

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone have any idea about how much it would cost to include an elevator in a new home in Mexico. We would like it to service two or possibly three levels. It wouldn't have to be very large or fancy; just something that could move two or three people up and down.

Also, does anyone have some links regarding which trees, bushes and plants survive best in the Aguascalientes area. We are very interested in possibly building a roof top garden. I'll be looking forward to your responses.

taltman711

Feb 29, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #2 of 6 (6659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [travisdyer] Elevators and Trees

Pete Johanson is putting an elevator in his "remodeled" home. By the way, Pete, are you going to tell us about your complete demo and rebuild? Anyway, perhaps you can pm Pete for some guidance.

Tim

johanson

Feb 29, 2008, 1:09 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] Elevators and Trees

Hey Tim: How goes it?

I wanted to answer that question, but I don't remember the unit costs. Interesting enough, across the street and downhill from my present house, there are 3 medium sized condos going in, each 3 stories tall. They too will have simple elevators.

Once I get any cost info, I will pass it on.

Pete

Judy in Ags

Feb 29, 2008, 8:07 PM

Post #4 of 6 (6614 views)

Shortcut

Strangely enough, it's difficult to give a pat answer as to which trees do well in Aguascalientes. It depends on what part of the city you're talking about. We planted several trees that we had seen doing well within the city, but where we are is just a little bit lower and also does not have lots of asphalt and buildings to hold the heat. Thus the citrus, banana trees froze out at our place, although you see them growing all over in the city.

Where we are, fruit trees that do well in the midwest (U.S.) do well here also. We are going to try some lavender as it does well in poor, alkaline soil. Palm trees do well everywhere in Ags. And of course the various cacti.

What part of the city will you be living in?

Best wishes with you trees!

travisdyer

Mar 1, 2008, 6:22 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Elevators and Trees

We're looking at several lots. One is a larger lot in "El Picacho", which lies on the west side of town about 15 minutes from El Centro. Another is on the east side, which is on La salida para San Luis Potosi. Another is in town, at the corner of Soledad and Paseo de la Cruz, which is very close to Heroes de Nacozari and my in-laws.

I noticed in your pictures, that you have a very open area. Were your trees young? Did you protect them with plastic during the winter? I have even seen Avocado trees growing in the city. Do you know if they do well in AGS?

Judy in Ags

Mar 1, 2008, 8:44 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6588 views)

Shortcut

The pastor of our church lives in the Picacho area (on the way up the mountain). He's planted hundreds of trees, but hasn't had success with tropical trees there either, although I don't think it usually gets quite as cold as here. I don't see any avocado trees even in town. If trees is the most important thing to you, then the location close to Heroes de Nacozari which is in a very populated area and thus holds the heat better, would be best. Actually, we live less than 10 minutes from there--just south of Nissan.

Yes, our trees were planted very young and we did try protecting them with plastic, but that didn't do much. As I said, trees that do well back in the "old country" in the Midwest, do well here. but we have peach, nectarine, pear, apple, cherry, pecan, mulberry, apricot. Ours are just beginning to produce, but if we had been able to water them more consistently, they would be much farther advanced. By next dry season, we will have our irrigation system finished and watering won't be so much work.

Best wishes in your pursuit of the right place. I feel confident that you will love Ags.

I tried sending this as a private reply, but it never showed up in my messages list, so I don't know if you received it that way. Hence, I'm posting it here also.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4