Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NEOhio1

Feb 23, 2008, 9:38 AM

Post #26 of 42 (4181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I wish I had known that my all original restored classic 63 Eldorado Biarritz convertible, red with white interior, would lease for $5000 pesos a day for weddings and quincineras per a published mexican newspaper article on the booming wedding planning business in Guadalajara..value of the car a Mexican collector is over $75K....that one rankles.

That ANY car in Mexico will work, drive what suits you and is comfortable. And that VW Jettas actually can go 120 mph.

That I should have known take advantage of the chance to nationalize my 90 Grand Wagoneer. It was available our first summer here, and now the car has aged out of eligibility.

That all my summer resort, boating and vacation-type clothing is suitable primarily for inside my walls and around my pool. It took a couple trips north to re-style.

To plan to do all my remodeling on our long term rental in one fell swoop...dragging it out is tiresome and now that we have a very very long agreement the landlord is getting stingy.

That just about anything I want is here except I really miss Target for those quick little single use things you want and quality isn't a big factor.

To take a community college Spanish course during the 18 months we were putzing around getting here.

That having a person come to do something for you on your property everyday - house, pool, garden - would not be as convenient as it first seemed. The lack of privacy gets old. Andno matter how many times you arrange for it all to happen simultaneously, it wanders away from your control after 6 weeks.

(This post was edited by NEOhio1 on Feb 23, 2008, 10:59 AM)

Judy in Ags

Feb 26, 2008, 4:43 PM

Post #27 of 42 (4053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

I had a Skype In account, but have never had a Mexican credit card or even a bank account.

Judy in Ags

Feb 26, 2008, 4:45 PM

Post #28 of 42 (4051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Fruit cup with chili? UMMMM! But some times the chili makes my stomach hurt.

delmaracer

Feb 27, 2008, 8:02 PM

Post #29 of 42 (3962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

I completely agree. I am appauled at the "americanization" of Mexico. Heck, before you know it, they will pass laws abondaning the Napolanic Code in favor of “innocent until proven guilty”, then come the @$!&%*#@ lawyers!
In my opinion, that could change Mexico forever and that my NoB friends will be the begin of the end of why we came here.

toddmc

Feb 28, 2008, 6:53 AM

Post #30 of 42 (3932 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracr] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

They just did that yesterday

Mexico Lawmakers OK Presumed Innocence

Todd

SandRSnow

Mar 8, 2008, 10:50 AM

Post #31 of 42 (3789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Just be glad you don't wear a size 10, Georgia !

Gringal

Mar 8, 2008, 12:13 PM

Post #32 of 42 (3776 views)

Shortcut

Crank up the imagination node and try to picture yourself sitting in a Mexican jail, unjustly accused of a crime. Add that this is a situation in which a wealthy Mexican family is trying to protect the person who committed it. Now add that they know the judge assigned to decide your fate, and that you are, of course "guilty until proven innocent".

Me, I'll take the lawyer problem along with having transparency in the justice system. Nothing's perfect.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Mar 8, 2008, 12:54 PM)

delmaracer

Mar 11, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #33 of 42 (3672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

OK, I git it. Please accept my humble apologies for being so short sighted.
I just wish I could register my cars for my use.

Guavagto

Mar 12, 2008, 8:08 PM

Post #34 of 42 (3595 views)

Shortcut

That you will live longer. Much longer. That when a doctor wants a liver function test for every new patient they are not worring about amoebas. That a living will shoud include the clause that when Harry the friendly host at a local resturant starts looking good to you it is time to pull the plug.

geri

Mar 24, 2008, 2:47 PM

Post #35 of 42 (3467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

If you treat them (your hired help) like friends and family, you no doubt will find out just how big a family they have!!!

jerezano

Mar 25, 2008, 8:26 AM

Post #36 of 42 (3391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Hello,

That before you check into a hotel you need to look at a room first and then ask if they have hot water 24 hours.

That when you do check into a hotel you need to check for the hot water on both the normal left side and the abnormal right side. Older hotels in smaller cities often have the plumbing interchanged. Also you may need to run the tap for what seems like ages.

After 20 years in Mexico I just returned from a trip to Tlatenango, Zacatecas (a city of about 50,000 people) where in an older hotel I went to bed tired, dirty and disgusted because I didn't have hot water after being assured that "yes, we have hot water 24 hours." Next morning I remembered to check the wrong side and ended up burning my hand. But that morning shower was wonderful.

Adiós. jerezano.

thriftqueen

Mar 25, 2008, 8:45 AM

Post #37 of 42 (3381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Your story reminds me of the book, "God and Mr Gomez" where the couple inspecting the house Mr Gomez had built for them told Mr Gomez the hot water faucets were hooked up wrong. Mr Gomez response was that would be easily corrected. He simply changed the handles. LOL

JohnnyBoy

Mar 25, 2008, 9:18 AM

Post #38 of 42 (3371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

This reverse or backward hookup of the hot and cold water seems to be epidemic.

I have been renting a house for a year now. It has two full bathrooms. The second bathroom is in a section of the house that was obviously added on to the original house. Apparently the plumber mixed up the hot and cold water and plumbed the toilet with hot water. So every time we flush that toilet it refills with hot water. The little room gets all steamy and humid. The hot and cold water in the shower in that bathroom are also backwards. The landlady said it would be too costly to fix the hot water in the toilet problem because it would involve tearing up the walls.

The toilet in the other bathroom is plumbed with cold water, but it always flushes twice. This may be a feature and not a bug. But the water in the shower is a mystery. Both taps deliver cold water. No matter which tap you turn, or how far you turn it, or how long you let the water run (the water heater is just about two feet away), you never get hot water, just cold. The little wash basin in that bathroom is OK, but it leaks all over the place when you open either the hot water or the cold water.

So we shower in the back bathroom, with the hot and cold water taps reversed. We use the toilet in the front bathroom, but we have to go to the back bathroom or the kitchen to wash our hands. The kitchen sink is plumbed correctly as is the vanity/wash basin in the back bathroom.

I wanted to check for these problems in the new house I am buying, but the water is off, as is the electricity. There is no water heater installed yet, so I don't know how I could check that. As soon as I get access to the new house (the closing process has taken almost six weeks so far, six weeks and counting) and as soon as I can get the water turned on and a water heater installed, you can bet this is going to be the first thing I check. My fingers are crossed.

La Isla

Mar 25, 2008, 10:30 AM

Post #39 of 42 (3354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Wow, John, you must have to give any visitors to your home a printed "plumbing guide"! Compared to your situation, mine is so simple - the water faucets are only reversed in the kitchen. My only real problem came recently when there was almost no water in the pipes in my building at all, and the "vecinos" had to chip in and buy a "pipa" from a private water supply company.

IslaZina

Mar 27, 2008, 8:20 AM

Post #40 of 42 (3255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Luego, luego really does work. I tried it a couple weeks ago when a golf cart rental of acquaintances broke down near my house. We went from no hay otre, to ahorrita, to ratito to my LUEGO LUEGO and they came with another golf cart in 10 minutes!
http://islazina@blogspot.com

floyd

Mar 28, 2008, 11:33 AM

Post #41 of 42 (3193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

I agree with the SKYPE. I downloaded in Mexico 2 years ago and purchased time with
my U.S.based credit card with no problems. Before Skye we would spent approx.
$80.00us a month on callback service to stay in trouch with family and friends - now
we spend less than $5.00 and have not reduced any phone time.

Floyd

Rosalinemg

May 11, 2008, 6:28 PM

Post #42 of 42 (3010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waltw] The Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Moved To Mexico

Where there's grafiti there is usually a high school nearby - not necessarily a street gang, but always a school.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4