Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

jl1

Feb 16, 2008, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6973 views)

Shortcut

Solar panels

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone had experience with heating a swimming pool with solar panels on the Jalisco/Nayarit coastal areas? Our house is almost finished and our plan was to not heat the pool, since we have a hot tub next to it. However, this has been a chilly winter in the Sayulita area and we're thinking that we will need to heat our pool during the cooler winter months. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have had direct experience with this.

Guavagto

Feb 16, 2008, 3:17 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Solar panels

We have been using solar power for lighting outside our house and for powering a pump for a fountain. We have had various degrees of success with different products. The products seem to varry from manufactor to manufactor.

A large swiming pool (at a club) near our house uses solar energy to heat the pool during the winter. We have much colder winters here than you will have on the coast so it might work well. Here on days when the low may be 39 degrees F the water is not going to be "warm".

My number one peice of advice is not to even dream of heating the pool with electric power even if it meant not using it some days.

Do searches on tiering by the electric company and see what trouble just one high bill can cause you. Once you are on the high tier it will take you 6 months to get back to a residental rate.

jl1

Feb 16, 2008, 3:41 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] Solar panels

Thanks. I've heard about the tier system. I mentioned the hot tub because we have stayed in a place near P.V. that had an unheated pool and adjacent hot tub. The idea is to warm up in the hot tub before entering the pool. The heat stored in the body softens the chill of the pool. When you start to chill in the pool, just slip over into the hot tub and warm up again. That worked pretty well so we thought we would do the same after our house is completed. This January in Sayulita though, people were walking around in jackets and sweaters. This got us thinking about heating the pool with solar. Such a problem, huh? We'll probably go thru one winter before deciding. Meanwhile, we are thrilled about our decision to build in beautiful Sayulita and once there, will not sweat the small stuff. Thanks again for the input.

Georgia

Feb 17, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #4 of 6 (6908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Solar panels

We have a solar heated pool. We have used it twelve months of the year. However, if we have a cloudy spell in December or January then it doesn't heat obviously. So, during those spells the pool is chilly: about 79 degrees. The key is to cover your pool with a thermal cover when it is not in use. This also helps keep out debris and dust and keeps the pool cleaner. We are in the mountains at Lake Chapala.

jl1

Feb 19, 2008, 4:48 PM

Post #5 of 6 (6820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Solar panels

Thanks for the input, Georgia. I'm actually in the hot tub and swim spa business in Berkeley, so I understand about insulating covers, etc. This is an aesthetic issue with us. We've decided to live with what we have for a year and make a decision about panels then. I was asking more about the nuts and bolts of installation and plumbing; as well as for referrals in the Vallarta area. Thanks again.....JL.

wynco

Feb 20, 2008, 9:39 AM

Post #6 of 6 (6794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] Solar panels

where does one buy in Mexico solar system for hot water - we live in Acapulco part of year and so much sun but NOBODY has solar water heating. - would also like for mother in Taxco but have no success in finding anyone who knows anything here. Regards Wyn
Wyn Coleman

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4