Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rodc

Jun 13, 2008, 5:48 PM

Post #26 of 27 (2553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet Phones

Can't Post | Private Reply
No the above is not completely true. if you are selling dedicated bandwidth, yes you are required to offer at least 80% of the specified bandwidth,when I say dedicated I am assuming you have an E1 or some other dedicated access which you are paying big bucks for,
not only that but also if you are an iSP "internet access provider' and do in fact service an area with more than 500 customers and you have downtime you are required to have service back up in no more than 4 hours. If not you are required by the Cofetel which is the equivalent of the FCC in the U.S to document and specify why it was not reestablished sooner.

Shared bandwidth is a whole different beast, shared bandwidth is like prodigy dsl, alestra or cable, if it is shared , as an ISP you can control the network on a per client basis as to how much they consume globally. It kind of works like dial up in the old days 8 clients per one phone line, the same exists with high speed internet lets say 15 clients per 1 meg of bandwidth, for the most part it works because its highly unlikely that all customers will be on the same segment downloading massive files at the same time. Plus there are caching algorithms and load balancing that helps control overall flow.

For most folks shared bandwidth works well all though we do in fact have customers that pay for dedicated access although not cheap
worth the extra cost for mission critical applications.

Rod

johanson / Moderator

Jun 13, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #27 of 27 (2544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rodc] Internet Phones

Can't Post | Private Reply
Rodc is the owner of the ISP mentioned in my post above and I stand corrected.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4