Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RickS

Feb 15, 2008, 11:56 AM

Post #1 of 27 (8256 views)

Shortcut

Internet Phones

Can't Post | Private Reply
(This got longer than I at first intended......)

I know that a lot of people in Mexico use Internet phone service such as Vonage. There is a 'new kid' on the block these days that, in my experience, is just as good and is even LESS costly.... MagicJack. [Disclaimer: I do not work for them, have no stock in the company and otherwise cannot profit from this information!]

First let me say that, to reduce costs, I replaced my US "Bell" telephone land-line 2 years ago with a Vonage-like service called ViaTalk. I have been happy with the performance and price ($18/mo. including tax for 500 minutes). But recently I also bought the new MagicJack product just to try it out. Why? Partially because I like to try new things and, at $40 one-time, it was affordable. Another reason is that I was looking for something (other than a cellphone) to take with me when I make trips around the US and Canada with my laptop in my travel trailer. You can, of course, use it at your home too... and I do. And the last reason I got it is the cost, or lack thereof! After the original purchase of $40, there is NO charge per month or per call for calls within the US or to Canada. Each succeeding year, there is another $20 charge to continue the service (so I guess one could say that there IS a $1.67/mo. cost associated with the MagicJack!).

The 'beauty' of this product is that it is small (thumb size) and just plugs into any USB slot on a computer, making it a totally mobile phone. You do need a regular 'phone' instrument of some sort to plug into the device. So if you are anywhere that you have a high-speed Internet connection or where there is a Wifi hot-spot (RV Parks, Coffee-shops, McDonald restaurants, etc.) with sufficient bandwidth, you can not only check you email and surf the web with your laptop, you can talk to anyone in the US & Canada free, and Internationally also (at a small per/minute fee... Mexico is 2 cents/minute). If you are IN Mexico or another International country you can call "back" to the US or Canada free (but would have to pay the International fee/call minute if you wanted to call someone within the country you were visiting... unless of course they have a vonage-like phone).

I have had the product since this past Fall. At my home, with high-speed Internet, it works flawlessly and has as good or better sound quality as my Vonage-like service. I recently took a 6-week road trip in the trailer to Florida (warm there, cold here in Colorado!). On the way down I stayed over-night in several places that had Wifi (even the Texas Travel Information Centers have Wifi), and I could call home. In Florida I was mostly in State or County Parks and National Forest campground, so there was no Wifi to speak of in them. But there seemed to always be a Wifi hot-spot somewhere close (coffee shops, McDonalds, Burger King) where I could check my email and also make phone calls.

Now, I could have (more easily?) used my cellphone and had even better coverage, couldn't I? Yes, but I would have had, with my plan, roaming and long-distance charges. I did get a 'long' call from someone on my cellphone while driving and it, plus another, one cost me $65!

Q&A:
+ Do you have to have your computer turned on for the MagicJack to work? Yes.
+ Can I 'port' my current telephone number to MagicJack? No, at least not yet.
+ What phone number will I get? One from 'any' area code you ask for, but you don't get to choose the number.
+ Do I need a high-speed Internet connection? Yes. As with others like Vonage, one 'must' have good bandwidth to use these phones. The 'lower-speed' DSL and wireless broadband connections seem to work just fine. "If it works for 'Vonage', it will work for MagicJack". At some RV-park Wifi hot-spots, I could not use the phone, but then my laptop didn't work well there either because the hot-spot signal wasn't very strong.
+ Can I use a cordless phone with it? Yes. I have even plugged it into my home-wiring and can use any phone in my house, both wireless and wired (remember, I don't have a land-line to interfere).
+ Can I "Call-Forward" from it to, say, my cell-phone? Yes. Cellphone charges, if any on your plan, will apply.
+ Does it support E-911? Yes.
+ Does it support FAX? Not to my knowledge.
+ Can I use it somewhere other than the US? Yes, anywhere in the world where there is a high-speed Internet connection.
+ Can I get a Canadian number? Not yet, but Canadian Area Codes will be available 'soon'.
+ Does it have Voicemail? Yes.
+ How is Customer Service? Don't know. Haven't had to use it! There is an on-line trouble-shooting function and an on-line Tech-Chat service available.
+ Is it hard to install? Not unless you often have trouble plugging in a lamp cord. :>
+ Can I buy it cheaper than $39.95 initially? Yes, there are a ton of them on Ebay that you can bid on. Some even offer International Shipping.

So, I'm happy. I'll continue to use it daily and then I may discontinue my other 'costly' vonage-like service. At a minimum, I'll bring it with me to Mexico the next time I come rather than lugging my ViaTalk router/adapter down.

(Again, sorry this was so long...)

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 15, 2008, 3:33 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Feb 15, 2008, 2:56 PM

Post #2 of 27 (8237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Internet Phones

Thanks Rick. I greatly enjoyed the read

Pete

drmike

Feb 16, 2008, 8:08 AM

Post #3 of 27 (8221 views)

Shortcut

I, too, have majicJack. We have used it since Nov. 07 and are extremely pleased with the service. It was easy to install and easy to use. If anyone is looking for a dependable, inexpensive telephone service for international calls, I strongly suggest considering majicJack.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Feb 19, 2008, 11:41 PM

Post #4 of 27 (8193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Internet Phones

Your computer does not have to be on to accept calls. Only to place them. The voice mail works extremely well. You will receive an email with a wav file that you can click on to hear the message and then decide wether to call back. It kept quite a few politicians out of my hair this voting season. You do have to access the voice mail to delete the messages though which is quite easy. For $20 a year you really can't go wrong. It cut my yearly phone bill by $350. Normal price for the Magicjack is around $19.95 + $20 for the first year and you can buy the second year for an additional $20. To me, it's not worth going to Ebay to save $5.

I'm happy and satisfied. Works well with my wireless phone. :)
Getting older and still not down here.

RickS

Feb 21, 2008, 8:53 PM

Post #5 of 27 (8160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Internet Phones

As a matter of clarification, what Ron means by "Your computer does not have to be on to accept calls, only to place them" is: If your computer is off and someone calls, the call will be routed to your email and they have an option of leaving a message for you. If they do, an email with the voicemail attached as a wav file will be sent to your email address and the next time you turn your computer on and access your email, you can listen to it.

So if you interpret "accept calls" as meaning the phone will actually ring and you can talk with someone, you must have your computer turned on to accomplish this. This may or may not work for everyone, but for me it is of no consequence since my computer is on at all times (except during the night when I don't want a phone ringing anyway!).

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Feb 21, 2008, 9:01 PM

Post #6 of 27 (8156 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for clearing that point Rick. I'm just used to the way I treat mine. Up here we here we have a lot of calls from this or that to vote for them as well as a barage of vinyl sidings pitches.

RickS

Feb 21, 2008, 9:10 PM

Post #7 of 27 (8153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Internet Phones

The National Do-Not-Call list has all but eliminated unwanted calls into our household. Unfortunately it appears that politicians and non-profit organizations are exempt..... and bill collectors with the wrong number!

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Feb 21, 2008, 9:26 PM

Post #8 of 27 (8152 views)

Shortcut

Thats why I love voice mail. As far as I'm concerned Politicians and charities are no better than the run of the mill vinyl salesmen. Any of them that calls me automatically go on the "Do not vote for list". Don't care who they are. Asses or Elephants.

hunteradvisor

Mar 14, 2008, 4:51 AM

Post #9 of 27 (8078 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
(This got longer than I at first intended......)

I know that a lot of people in Mexico use Internet phone service such as Vonage. There is a 'new kid' on the block these days that, in my experience, is just as good and is even LESS costly.... MagicJack. [Disclaimer: I do not work for them, have no stock in the company and otherwise cannot profit from this information!]

First let me say that, to reduce costs, I replaced my US "Bell" telephone land-line 2 years ago with a Vonage-like service called ViaTalk. I have been happy with the performance and price ($18/mo. including tax for 500 minutes). But recently I also bought the new MagicJack product just to try it out. Why? Partially because I like to try new things and, at $40 one-time, it was affordable. Another reason is that I was looking for something (other than a cellphone) to take with me when I make trips around the US and Canada with my laptop in my travel trailer. You can, of course, use it at your home too... and I do. And the last reason I got it is the cost, or lack thereof! After the original purchase of $40, there is NO charge per month or per call for calls within the US or to Canada. Each succeeding year, there is another $20 charge to continue the service (so I guess one could say that there IS a $1.67/mo. cost associated with the MagicJack!).

The 'beauty' of this product is that it is small (thumb size) and just plugs into any USB slot on a computer, making it a totally mobile phone. You do need a regular 'phone' instrument of some sort to plug into the device. So if you are anywhere that you have a high-speed Internet connection or where there is a Wifi hot-spot (RV Parks, Coffee-shops, McDonald restaurants, etc.) with sufficient bandwidth, you can not only check you email and surf the web with your laptop, you can talk to anyone in the US & Canada free, and Internationally also (at a small per/minute fee... Mexico is 2 cents/minute). If you are IN Mexico or another International country you can call "back" to the US or Canada free (but would have to pay the International fee/call minute if you wanted to call someone within the country you were visiting... unless of course they have a vonage-like phone).

I have had the product since this past Fall. At my home, with high-speed Internet, it works flawlessly and has as good or better sound quality as my Vonage-like service. I recently took a 6-week road trip in the trailer to Florida (warm there, cold here in Colorado!). On the way down I stayed over-night in several places that had Wifi (even the Texas Travel Information Centers have Wifi), and I could call home. In Florida I was mostly in State or County Parks and National Forest campground, so there was no Wifi to speak of in them. But there seemed to always be a Wifi hot-spot somewhere close (coffee shops, McDonalds, Burger King) where I could check my email and also make phone calls.

Now, I could have (more easily?) used my cellphone and had even better coverage, couldn't I? Yes, but I would have had, with my plan, roaming and long-distance charges. I did get a 'long' call from someone on my cellphone while driving and it, plus another, one cost me $65!

Q&A:
+ Do you have to have your computer turned on for the MagicJack to work? Yes.
+ Can I 'port' my current telephone number to MagicJack? No, at least not yet.
+ What phone number will I get? One from 'any' area code you ask for, but you don't get to choose the number.
+ Do I need a high-speed Internet connection? Yes. As with others like Vonage, one 'must' have good bandwidth to use these phones. The 'lower-speed' DSL and wireless broadband connections seem to work just fine. "If it works for 'Vonage', it will work for MagicJack". At some RV-park Wifi hot-spots, I could not use the phone, but then my laptop didn't work well there either because the hot-spot signal wasn't very strong.
+ Can I use a cordless phone with it? Yes. I have even plugged it into my home-wiring and can use any phone in my house, both wireless and wired (remember, I don't have a land-line to interfere).
+ Can I "Call-Forward" from it to, say, my cell-phone? Yes. Cellphone charges, if any on your plan, will apply.
+ Does it support E-911? Yes.
+ Does it support FAX? Not to my knowledge.
+ Can I use it somewhere other than the US? Yes, anywhere in the world where there is a high-speed Internet connection.
+ Can I get a Canadian number? Not yet, but Canadian Area Codes will be available 'soon'.
+ Does it have Voicemail? Yes.
+ How is Customer Service? Don't know. Haven't had to use it! There is an on-line trouble-shooting function and an on-line Tech-Chat service available.
+ Is it hard to install? Not unless you often have trouble plugging in a lamp cord. :>
+ Can I buy it cheaper than $39.95 initially? Yes, there are a ton of them on Ebay that you can bid on. Some even offer International Shipping.

So, I'm happy. I'll continue to use it daily and then I may discontinue my other 'costly' vonage-like service. At a minimum, I'll bring it with me to Mexico the next time I come rather than lugging my ViaTalk router/adapter down.

(Again, sorry this was so long...)

Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

(This post was edited by hunter on Mar 14, 2008, 4:55 AM)

Yucatanman

Mar 16, 2008, 9:43 AM

Post #10 of 27 (8053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Internet Phones

Check out the five part video on utube....Majic Jack, its an option, but according to the teckies its not a Corevtte more like a VW.

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

RickS

Mar 16, 2008, 3:11 PM

Post #11 of 27 (8029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yucatanman] Internet Phones

Not sure what techies you might be referencing, but PC Magazine just had this to say on January 17, 2008:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2250257,00.asp

The reality is that, as with almost everything else in this technical world, your mileage may vary. And your mileage will definitely depend, in this case, what kind of broadband service you are being provided. A friend just reported that a friend of theirs who lives in Manzanillo is not having very good luck with the quality of their MagicJack service. The two were talking MagicJack to Vonage within Mexico and there were echo's and spotty voice reception. More than once. Neither of us knows what kind (speed) of broadband service the friend has in Manzanillo.

Here in the States mine works well with my ultra high-speed cable Internet. I have noticed that, when I use either MagicJack or my other Vonage-like service (ViaTalk) and I'm talking to either another broadband telephone OR a cellphone, the quality of service is sometimes not as good as when I am talking with someone on a land-line.

At this point I'm not ready to give up my other ViaTalk service. I'm just 'playing' with the MagicJack... talked to someone in Guadalajara from Colorado a few days ago (they had a land-line) and the quality was first class. Talked for a 'couple of minutes' and I see that I still have $4.82 left on my $5.00 International Prepaid Account Balance.

P.S. When I was researching broadband phones a couple of years ago, I could not believe how many negative reviews I read about Vonage. But when I talked to friends who were using Vonage, they were having no problems. Most didn't know how the Customer Service was because they never had to call them. When they did have a problem it invariably was attributed to their ISP broadband service. I ultimately went with ViaTalk. It's generally very good and when I DO have to contact Tech Service (on-line) they are quite quick to address and/or remedy my 'problem'. All-in-all 'tho, I wouldn't want to 'run a business' with any of these VoIP services just yet. But for my home phone and this MagicJack that I will take on the road, I'm quite happy. The ViaTalk cost me about $155/yr for 500 minutes/mo. and the MagicJack is basically free at $19.95 a year. And yes, I think most of these kinds of services more resembles a "VW than a Corvette". But then I've owned more VWs (several) than Corvettes (none!). I do own a Prius but that's another story.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 16, 2008, 6:18 PM)

Rolly

Mar 16, 2008, 4:16 PM

Post #12 of 27 (8020 views)

Shortcut

I use Skype with which I am very happy. I have used it computer to computer only twice. Both times the quality was OK but less than computer to land line or cell phone.

Rolly Pirate

jcwst

Mar 17, 2008, 5:52 PM

Post #13 of 27 (7982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Internet Phones

I am very confused. I know if you have a vonage phone and take it to Mexico people can call you if they call your number in the states that vonage has given you toll free. You can also call US. The majic jack states in some of your emails that you can take it with you to Mexico and hook it up and call US and it is toll free. As with Vonage if you have the phone with you in Mexico can people in the US call the phone number they assign to you which would be a US area code toll free or is it a toll call?

johanson / Moderator

Mar 17, 2008, 7:02 PM

Post #14 of 27 (7974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jcwst] Internet Phones

I bring my VoIP phone with me when I come down from Seattle. I can choose one telephone number anywhere in the states where people can call me toll free. You know if you want a Seattle number the area code is 206. People who can phone that area code for free can call me for free regardless where I am. Often your VoIP carrier will allow you to choose a second or third or more different locations at about $5 US per month each for additional areas that would be toll free to the callers. Now it doesn't matter whether you are at the location where these numbers are toll free or in Mexico. As long as you have a broadband internet connection with sufficient bandwidth, someone calling you at for example your Seattle number could call you toll free.

RickS

Mar 17, 2008, 7:29 PM

Post #15 of 27 (7972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jcwst] Internet Phones

For all practical purposes MagicJack works just like Vonage with respect to calling in and out. The two main differences is that to use a MagicJack, your computer must be turned on because the MagicJack is plugged directly into a USB port on the computer. With Vonage a computer is not used in any way; just the Internet connection; and 2) MagicJack doesn't have a monthly on-going charge for the service as is the case with Vonage (you do have to pay $19.95 a year after initially purchasing it for $40 which includes the first year's calls and the hardware/software).

I guess there is a third difference in the two approaches, and it is this difference that actually drove me to purchase it: the MagicJack will work even if your computer (generally a laptop) sometimes only has access to a wireless (wifi) connection. So for example if I have my laptop with me while on the road and find any GOOD wifi connection (Internet cafe, many coffee shops, some McDonalds/Burger Kings, some roadside tourist information centers or sitting in the parking lot of a hotel that has wifi for its patrons!), I can generally make a call. If the wifi is not strong, this won't work, but I've had more success than failures doing this since purchasing mine last fall. This would be impossible with Vonage because one must actually plug their Vonage 'adapter' directly into a hardwired Internet connection.... something the coffee shops et.al. are not going to let one do.

With respect to your question about calling toll free, there is again no difference between the MagicJack and Vonage... if one is physically located within the same area code as a person who has one of these VoIP phones, the call is toll-free. If you are in another area code, whether it is in the same state, another state or another country, the call will be a long distance call. That is why 'most' people with Vonage set it up in the same area code as, say, their family. Then the family can call each other toll-free just like they were in the 'same town' and not in Mexico (or wherever). But these phones are still very valuable even if you are calling from another area code because you are at least calling another US location (low long distance rates) and NOT a higher cost International call. And again, all of this would be the same whether one is using a MagicJack or a Vonage system.

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 17, 2008, 7:31 PM)

Judy in Ags

Apr 22, 2008, 8:34 PM

Post #16 of 27 (7900 views)

Shortcut

The only thing that I have noticed about any quality change in my VOIP service is that it seems to work better when my computer is not on. Overall, the service is better than the land line. Sometimes I call my friends here in Mexico on their Vonage service rather than their Telmex phone as the quality is better.

BajaGringo

Jun 12, 2008, 3:10 AM

Post #17 of 27 (7843 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Internet Phones

If your Vonage is not "working as well" with your computer on, it is because your computer is trying to access the internet to download/upload email, web surfing, windows update, virus program updates, etc. In that scenario your computer and your Vonage router are competing for the bandwidth available to you on your line. What is your DSL service? 512K? 1MB? 2MB? The more bandwidth, the more data can go through.

I am using Vonage and Magicjack. I keep the Vonage in my office at the house and the Magicjack goes with me when I am out and about with my notebook. I can forward my Vonage to my MagicJack and it gives me a lot of versatility...

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

(This post was edited by BajaGringo on Jun 12, 2008, 3:12 AM)

johanson / Moderator

Jun 12, 2008, 5:50 AM

Post #18 of 27 (7837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Internet Phones

Also remember that the advertised speed is the download speed at ideal conditions. Right now for example the internet backbone seems quite slow. In fact after making numerous speed tests using several ISPs along the shores of Lake Chapala, I can safely say that I am lucky to get half the advertised speeds. In fact a friend, the owner of one of a local ISP will be complaining to those who provide him backbone (connection to he rest of the internet)

Also remember that the advertised speed is the download speed. The stated upload speed is often about 1/8th the download speed. And upload is just as important because it carries your voice to the person listening to you

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 12, 2008, 12:31 PM)

Judy in Ags

Jun 12, 2008, 7:55 AM

Post #19 of 27 (7828 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] Internet Phones

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't really paid attention to when the problem occurred. I will watch that. More speed isn't an option at the moment as we're kind of maxed out on monthly communication expenses. Other than above-stated minor inconvenience, I'm extremely pleased with Vonage and have found their service staff to be excellent.

BajaGringo

Jun 12, 2008, 12:12 PM

Post #20 of 27 (7808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet Phones

Good point - I forgot to mention the upload side which is where some post terrible numbers.

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

whistler

Jun 13, 2008, 12:56 PM

Post #21 of 27 (7785 views)

Shortcut

Mexican regulators require that ISPs provide a minimum of 80% of promised bandwidth. If you are getting less, advise the provider. If you dont advise them of your awareness of the mandate, you will probably not get results.

johanson / Moderator

Jun 13, 2008, 1:05 PM

Post #22 of 27 (7782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Internet Phones

Hey Whistler thanks for the information. 80% Do you happen to know whether this is an average of 80%? Could you please tell me where I could find this regulation? (So I could study the technical aspects of it?)This is very interesting.

The folks at the local computer club would be very interested to know more. Oh and with my 2 meg Infinitum connection, I would be very happy if I had 80% of 2 meg over 256. I will switch over to my infinitum access point and do a speed test or four and post the results in a few minutes.

I just switched ISPs and am now connected to my 2 meg connection, which had been giving many of us very poor results during the previous week. Things are working great again here are four speed tests I just did using www.speedtest.mx between Ajijic and Mex City.

Test results, Ajijjic to and from Mexico City with Prodigy Uninet S.A. de C.V.
Ping,download,upload

Of course the pings are in ms and the speed in kb/sec where the b is bit not bite

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 13, 2008, 1:20 PM)

whistler

Jun 13, 2008, 2:05 PM

Post #23 of 27 (7774 views)

Shortcut

I dont have the regulation. If you talk to the Telcel tech support people they will tell to you about it. Telcel seems to hover around 80% to 85% of published capacity. I believe they deliberately only give you what they are required to. If you get 80% or better, they will tell you its good enough. If you get under 80% I am sure they will take care of it. They have it in their capacity to do things we are generally unaware of, even though they may tell you they can do nothing.

For example, if they like you, they can set you up for a higher speed than you are paying for. It is sad to see, but the average person here just gets taken advantage of and those who have more information typically do better.

Rolly

Jun 13, 2008, 2:15 PM

Post #24 of 27 (7772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Internet Phones

I'm paying Telmex for 1024 Kbps, but I often get more. Just now I checked, and it was 1097K/94K. I have seen the down number over 2,000 a few times. I don't know why that is, but I sure don't plan to complain.

Rolly Pirate

johanson / Moderator

Jun 13, 2008, 4:43 PM

Post #25 of 27 (7757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Internet Phones

That's fantastic Rolly. I wish I were that lucky. I have been doing speed tests much of the afternoon for www.laguna.com.mx where my email address is support@laguna.com.mx . We had a problem in one sector where ping times and up and download speeds sucked. To make a long story short, we found the problem, a switch. We made a temporary repair and speeds are respectful but not fantastic until we can make a permanent repair Saturday, once we have a replacement switch.

By the way, the owner of this ISP which first started 11 years ago, has never heard of the 80% rule. He also pointed out that if you look closely at the Prodigy specifications, that they say "hasta" or up to 1 meg (or whatever speed) and that they further state that there will be times when the speed is much slower. So they are covered when the speeds are less than 80% of advertised, which quite often in my neighborhood.

So if there is a rule about having to produce at least 80%, and there very well may be such a rule, we would love or should I say hate to learn about it. So please if any of you know of such a rule please let me know the specifics.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4