Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex .

Feb 11, 2008, 7:14 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2116 views)

Shortcut

what worries you these days ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Most of us have been in Mexico long enough that we no longer worry if the propane guy will show up, he will sooner or later. Heck, in Tijuana I can set my watch by the propane truck at 0700 hrs. Most of us don't worry about where our next torta is coming from( me in particular as I look at the bathroom scale). I don't think much about Afganistan. I used to be concerned about Mexico/US cooperative arrangements like NAFTA and SENTRI passes, but now I think of the two countries as completely distinct and separate, going between the two is like passing back and forth thru the looking glass. US real estate goes down, Mexico real estate goes up, dollar goes up, peso goes down, I don't woory about any of it. So what occupies your thoughts these days?
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 11, 2008, 7:15 AM)

Rolly

Feb 11, 2008, 7:31 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] what worries you these days ?

I think about the CFE bill on cold nights when I debate turning on the electric heater.

I worry that the much needed, but very slow, highway reconstruction work will drive my favorite Chinese restaurant out of business.

Isn't it nice when our worries can be so trivial?

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Feb 11, 2008, 7:44 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2096 views)

Shortcut

Hello alex.

The title of your post doesn't jibe with your final question: So what occupies your thoughts these days?

To answer your first question: What worries you these days? My answer would be really nothing. I have disposed of all real estate entanglements in the United States. I have my USA will and I have my Mexico will. I have arranged for funeral expenses. I have arranged for a temporary albacea (executor) until my designated executors can arrive here on the scene. My Mexican property taxes come due but are so low it's almost like paying one month of my telephone bill.

And my income is assured until I die. My few stock investments are speculative, long-term so what if the stock market is tanking? So what IS there to worry about? My mature son and daughter and the things they do? Of course not. I suppose I could worry about my health but that is an issue that an 82 year old man can't possibly worry about. Things happen or they don't.

Now as to your second question: So what occupies your thoughts these days?

Well, I perhaps would like to head for the nearest beach and its hot climate just to get out of the cold here in Zacatecas for a few days. I perhaps would like to head for Mexico City to take in some of its cultural activities. Haven't been there for 4 years. Cancún is advertising bargains in condominium rentals and a 2 bedroom one was offered the other day for only $350 usd A WEEK. And of course Valentines Day or as the Mexicans call it El Día de la Amistad y Amor is coming up and I am wondering about inviting some friends to a luxury restaurant (when they can get away from their own family obligations) etc, as well as gifts to special people.

As a matter of interest only, I am following the primary elections in the United States, also the economic stimulation plan which will give me an unexpected Tax Rebate check of $600 usd, and other matters of world import. Do I worry? No, of course not. Is my mind occupied? Yes, of course and there are always new and interesting books to read, new friendships to make, new niches of Mexico to explore.

Adiós. jerezano

pez222

Feb 11, 2008, 7:45 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2096 views)

Shortcut

There is ALWAYS something one can find to worry about. Things that top my list are: #1) The health of my spouse and myself. I really hate doctors and their idea that some drug will solve your problema. #2) The economy. We're sitting on a house of cards right now. Our country has spent itself into a hole that we'll never get out of. I see the standard of living going down for the average person. But, what the h... , If one is still above ground and on your feet and has a few extra dollars to enjoy the simple things, it's OK. What say you ???

Ed and Fran

Feb 11, 2008, 9:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (2074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] what worries you these days ?

Rolly: I think about the CFE bill on cold nights when I debate turning on the electric heater.

Ed: I think about the CFE bill on hot days when I debate turning on the air conditioner.

Actually, I neither think about the bill nor debate turning the a/c on. Both are just givens when you live down here on the Gulf Coast.

Regards

Ed

Anonimo

Feb 12, 2008, 3:13 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2014 views)

Shortcut

I worry somewhat about the stock market and interest rates going down, and our investment income dropping. But, fortunately, we both have Social Security, and can make it on that, barring some catastrophic medical problem.

I'm so unworried, that we just made a 9 day, splurge trip to Oaxaca by way of Mexico City.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

jerezano

Feb 13, 2008, 1:22 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pez222] what worries you these days ?

Hello pez222,

You said:>>There is ALWAYS something one can FIND to worry about.<<< But why look for it? If you are worrying about something ACT to clear it away. It may take time but get rid of that worry. If something is happening that you can't control, then accept it, do what you can to ease up the problem, and when you can't do anymore then accept what is happening and try to work around it. I don't worry about what is happening in Iraq or Afganistan because I can't do anything about it, except vote when the time comes, or if I want to be active write my representatives in
Congress. What more can I personally do? When I have done what I can, then I quit worrying. No ulcers for me. Now if you have a sub-prime mortgage where the variable interst has now doubled, you better work on what you can do with your mortgage lender and if everything ends up smelling like rotten cabbage, then declare bankruptcy. That seems to be the only solution unless you can find another. But quit worrying and act.

Adiós. jerezano

alex .

Feb 19, 2008, 8:40 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] what worries you these days ?

My worry is that I may need to do the Border Crossing Boogie again. I haven't done that post-911, it could suck.
Alex

jerezano

Feb 21, 2008, 4:34 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1741 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Alex said: >>>My worry is that I may need to do the Border Crossing Boogie again. I haven't done that post-911, it could suck.
Alex<<<<

Alex, into Mexico, nothing more than the usual dance. Ah, but into the USA again, the dance has changed. It is no longer a waltz but a rip-rap-hop-paperwork nightmare.

Adiós. jerezano.

RickS

Feb 21, 2008, 9:14 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] what worries you these days ?

"no longer a waltz but a rip-rap-hop-paperwork nightmare"

And my experiences lately, it is that with an attitude!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4