Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

JohnnyBoy

Feb 3, 2008, 12:47 PM

Post #1 of 6 (7518 views)

Shortcut

Stationary Gas Tanks

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know why Mexicans put their stationary gas tanks on their roofs? I am aware of space considerations; that there may not be room around the sides of the house for it. But assuming that is not the issue, that a house has plenty of room on the sides of the house, or in the back, is there any reason why the stationary gas tank has to be on the roof?

I am NOT talking about the 30-45 kilo gas cylinders. I am talking about 300-500 liter stationary gas tanks. These look similar to what we used to call propane tanks NOB that are commonly used in rural areas where natural gas service is not available.

I have never seen a propane tank in the USA anywhere except on a cement slab on the ground. I have never seen a stationary gas tank in Mexico anywhere except on the roof.

Please do not tell me why the propane tanks in the USA are on the ground. Just try to tell me if there is any reason for Mexican stationary gas tanks to be on the roof OTHER THAN space considerations?

tonyburton

Feb 3, 2008, 1:11 PM

Post #2 of 6 (7515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Stationary Gas Tanks

None; ours was on the ground.

bournemouth

Feb 3, 2008, 1:41 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7509 views)

Shortcut

And one of ours is on the ground and one on the roof.

morgaine7

Feb 3, 2008, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7503 views)

Shortcut

Mine is on the roof over the kitchen, about midway between the stove and water heater, which are on opposite sides. One consideration was the distance from the tank to the appliances. Another was access for filling the tank. My house (and many city houses here in La Paz) have no passage from the street to the rear. If my tank were on the ground in back, they'd have to drag the fill hose up over the roof in front and then down on the other side.

Kate

toddmc

Feb 3, 2008, 2:34 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7497 views)

Shortcut

Ours in on the ground in our service patio.

Todd

Esteban

Feb 4, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #6 of 6 (7435 views)

Shortcut

It's a space thing. If the houses butt up to one another, you have no choice. It also keeps the thieves away from the various piping, valves etc. If it's on the roof, you run a fill line down to the street. However, you can put it anywhere you want. If I had the room, I'd put it at ground level for ease of maintenance.
Also, it's hard to change things that have been done for eons.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4