Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

visualjohn

Jan 31, 2008, 7:57 PM

Post #1 of 7 (9827 views)

Shortcut

saltillo tiles question

Can't Post | Private Reply

This is more of a design/recommendation question for you all. In two of our bedrooms we will have a partially visible entrance into the bathroom. It seemed to make sense to keep the flooring consistent....and we are using saltillo tiles in those bedrooms.

Yay or nay.....is saltillo practical for a bathroom floor....or would I be better off with ceramic tile in the bath?

Visit my site, bookmark it and leave a comment!

http://www.johnandbrianbuildinmexico.com

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Feb 1, 2008, 9:06 AM)

toddmc

Feb 1, 2008, 7:23 AM

Post #2 of 7 (9803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [visualjohn] saltillo tiles question

I have always thought that saltillo tiles would be to porous for the bathroom.
We went with ceramic.

Todd

Rolly

Feb 1, 2008, 7:56 AM

Post #3 of 7 (9798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] saltillo tiles question

If properly sealed, the tiles would not be too porous. These tiles have the advantage of not being as slick as ceramic tiles when wet. I think they would work just fine in the bathroom.

Rolly Pirate

robrt8

Feb 1, 2008, 9:26 AM

Post #4 of 7 (9789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] saltillo tiles question

I've seen a lot of bathroom floors with saltillo. I have it in my kitchen. "Properly sealed" is the tricky part. It has to be varnished several times after the grout has cured (two weeks?). You'll have to maintain the seal by varnishing again as it wears (two years?). It doesn't feel as cold as glazed tile, and you can get a nice rich color if you use an oil-based varnish. I used three coats of diluted satin spar varnish - looks great.

bournemouth

Feb 1, 2008, 6:09 PM

Post #5 of 7 (9766 views)

Shortcut

We've had both saltillo and regular clay tiles from Mexico in our bathrooms for years with no problems. A good seal job stops the porosity problem. They are so much softer to the feet than vitropiso or ceramic tiles.

visualjohn

Feb 3, 2008, 5:23 AM

Post #6 of 7 (9735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] saltillo tiles question

Thanks for all the input folks.... since we are going to be sealing the saltillo tiles anyway....we may as well carry them thru to the baths....

Now we just need to nail down what to seal them with....I've seen alot of options on this thread....hmmmmm LOL

Visit my site, bookmark it and leave a comment!

http://www.johnandbrianbuildinmexico.com

robrt8

Feb 3, 2008, 8:32 AM

Post #7 of 7 (9722 views)

Shortcut

Test whatever you choose on scrap tiles first, experimenting with multiple coats/dilutions. Don't seal before the grout is cured! The floor may appear dry, but Saltillo tiles are sponges.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4