Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

raferguson

Feb 2, 2008, 5:20 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4488 views)

Shortcut

Anyone willing to read my cell phone article?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am working on a complete rewrite of the Cell Phone article that was published on Mexconnect in 2002. It had gotten obsolete, but I still get a steady flow of email questions about cell phones. I did a lot of research on my recent visit to Mexico.

The article is written, but I would like somebody to read it, preferably somebody who knows something about cell phones. My usual proofreader is not a good choice for this semi-technical article.

If you send me a private message I will send you a link so that you can read it.

Gracias de antemano.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

DavidMcL

Feb 3, 2008, 5:27 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Anyone willing to read my cell phone article?

Hola Richard;
We all really appreciate the time and effort you put into these articles, and I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to the update. Sorry, I am not a good one to review the piece! Good luck.

suerte

David
David McL
WebJefe

johanson / Moderator

Feb 3, 2008, 6:10 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4445 views)

Shortcut

I didn't answer immediately because I am overwhelmed right now with work, articles, remodel etc, but I would love to proof read your latest article.

I write this while pretending to be a good host during a party at my house watching the Super Bowl

Pete

tashby

Feb 14, 2008, 3:40 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4405 views)

Shortcut

Oh.....please, please, please! I need to read this article NOW. I was just about to post a question about which US cell phone provider/plan I should get to bring with us on our move to Mexico. (I'll pm you....maybe you'll send me a copy as I write for a living. Sort of. Advertising.)

The thing is....I have never owned a cell phone in my life, but we're moving to Mexico in a month. (The house sold a lot faster than we ever expected. I was going to use the time it sat on the market to research exactly this kind of information.)

I know I need GSM (GMS?) technology....and I think I read that T-Mobile, and one other provider, maybe Verizon?, are the best bet currently. But there are so many cell phone threads and my to-do list is surreal. I don't have time to research all the old info.

RickS

Feb 15, 2008, 9:56 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Anyone willing to read my cell phone article?

"which US cell phone provider/plan I should get to bring with us on our move (to live in) to Mexico".

Tashby I am certainly not an absolute authority on cell phones and surely not cellphones in Mexico, but I think you may need to provide some further information. Such as whereto , in Mexico, you are moving? For what purpose do you want the cellphone (local calls, calls to the US, both)?

I suspect that you may not really want a US phone/provider/plan at all. Verizon, for example, used to have a NorthAmerican plan which allowed one to use their cellphone both in the US and in Mexico, but they discontinued that plan last year. If you want a cellphone for "local" calls in your town because a land-line is not available, I suspect that you will want to purchase a phone/plan from a local carrier in Mexico such as Telcel. If you want it so you can call back to the US, there is a much better (spelled cheaper!) route to take..... Internet phones such as Vonage (assuming you have the desire to obtain higher speed Internet anyway and
will be in a locale where it is available). In places like Lake Chapala, hundreds of people have used them "successfully for several years".

Maybe raferguson's new article will enlighten you on the current use of cellphones in Mexico. It may not touch on Internet phones used to call back into the US. If you are familiar with them, great. If not, and you wish some more info, don't hesitate to ask.

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 15, 2008, 10:00 AM)

tashby

Feb 16, 2008, 11:53 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Anyone willing to read my cell phone article?

Thanks. Yes, I'll provide more info. (I was rushed yesterday....final negotiations on house sale.) I'm going to start a specific thread because my needs are a little different than many others'. Thanks to raeferguson for sending the article! Now I think I know at least what to ask.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4