Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

fuzzybill

Jan 1, 2008, 7:27 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3198 views)

Shortcut

Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Happy New Year, All!

The good wife (Gaye) and I are beginning to research places to retire in a few years and a visit to Mexico will be our first adventure. We are in the process of planning a trip later this Spring and our first stop [based on what we've read in books and on this forum, of course ;>)] will be Guanajuato. In order to help us finalize our travel plans, we're looking for advice from you experts to help make our visit productive and relatively stress-free. To that end, I have a couple of questions concerning some of the basics.

1. We will be arriving at BJX late in the evening (about 10 p.m.). Will there be taxi service available at that hour (after we retrieve our bags and clear customs and immigration)? Do we need to make advance reservations? Should we book another form of transportation, and if so, is there a travel agent that could assist us in that regard? How much should the trip to Guanajuato cost?

2. In looking at the hotel choices in Guanajuato, I have noticed that there seems to be quite a difference of opinion among commenters here and elsewhere about the relative merits/demerits of the same hotel. I'd like some unbiased recommendations about prospective lodging (for 4 nights) as well as what there is about a particular hotel that lends itself to your recommendation. The upper limit of what we're looking to spend would be about U$S 150/ night.

I know that I'm asking for a lot of information, but I also have learned in lurking in the various fori that you are very understanding of us newbies and our fundamental questions. I am sure looking forward to reading your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

raferguson

Jan 1, 2008, 9:56 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fuzzybill] Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

My experience in Mexico is that there are always taxis waiting when planes come in, no matter what hour. You might not want to dilly-dally at the airport, on the off chance that yours is the last flight of the night, but I would not worry about finding a taxi. I forget the price, but I am pretty sure that they use the customary system, where you buy a taxi ticket at the taxi ticket window, and take the taxi ticket to the official taxi stand, so the prices are fixed. The Bajio airport is some distance from Guanajuato, so expect to pay more than pocket change.

I will let others suggest a hotel, we have stayed at the Embajadoras in the past, but not completely happy with it. The Santa fe is right on the square, so convenient, but not quiet.

We love Guanajuato, but the center city can be polluted, with the bus traffic. Don't even think about driving there. The last time we arrived there by car, in a fit of good judgement, I hired a taxi at the edge of town to lead us to our hotel. Well worth the cost to avoid the aggravation. A map of the city a challenge, because of the underground roads, tunnels, and one way streets. The best way from point A to point B is often completely different than the best way to point A from point B!

Have fun, and enjoy your stay!

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

roni_smith

Feb 11, 2008, 8:30 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3114 views)

Shortcut

We enjoyed the Meson de Los Poetas in Guanajuato.

http://www.guanajuatocapital.com/ingles/Hpoetas.htm

We have photos of our room and of the city here

http://web.mac.com/roni_smith/iWeb/Site/Guanajuato.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the photos. A couple rows up are photos of us sitting on a patio we shared with one other room. The next couple of rows up are from our room.

There are also some photos in our two blog entries about our visit. The first one is here

http://web.mac.com/roni_smith/iWeb/Site/Ron%27s%20Blog/398B48D2-E2AE-458B-A86F-701C6226CBEE.html
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

(This post was edited by roni_smith on Feb 11, 2008, 8:33 PM)

wendy devlin

Feb 15, 2008, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3070 views)

Shortcut

A few weeks ago, stayed at La Abadia, a hotel, up the hill on the road that becomes the highway past the historic silver mine La Valencia. Comfortable rooms, around 800 pesos a night, good selection for breakfast buffet in a bright tasteful dining room, views, pool, WiFi etc.

There is another Abadia(meaning the Abbey) that is older, smaller rooms further down the hill. This Abadia is situated nearly across from the higher end hotel that looks like a medieval castle. Also several other larger hotels on same street.

About a 15-20 minute walk to centro. Longer uphill walk return. Taxis are inexpensive and many.

I like to walk and hike so the location of the hotel got me up higher for views while being easy strolling distance to many historic attractions. Took a taxi to Los Momias but discovered it was an easy walk downtown from there as well.

Italian restaurant, located in the upstairs of the hotel across from Teatro Juarez, the starting point for the student troubadours who set out many evenings to play on the callejones of Guanajuato, had a salmon appetizer and pasta dishes, that were among the best, I've ever had in a restaurant anywhere.

Lovely place, spent 4 days.

fuzzybill

Feb 16, 2008, 7:04 AM

Post #5 of 11 (3053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

Thanks so much for the advice. We really appreciate it. What great fotos on youor website. Although I concentrated on those of Gto, the rest are great as well. Gto REALLY looks like a beautiful locale (even with the "hills" -- which in some of the pics look like montańas to me). Can't wait for May to actually get there. Thanx again -- Rich

fuzzybill

Feb 16, 2008, 7:07 AM

Post #6 of 11 (3052 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

Wendy -- thanks so much for your insight. We'll certainly take your comments into consideration as the time gets closer to our actual arrival. Thanx again so much for your help. -- Rich

Rock

Feb 16, 2008, 6:26 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3021 views)

Shortcut

Fuzzybill: I was just in Guanajuato in January, and flew out of BJX. Since the airport is so small, clearing customs doesn't take long. There isn't a system of taxis autorizados that time of the evening. Expect to pay from 300 to 350 pesos from BJX to the centro of Guanajuato. It's not a lengthy jaunt but it's a supply/demand situation. If you want to be in the centro to make exploration of numerous sites more convenient, you might want to consider Hotel Luna and Hotel Posada Santa Fe. Somewhat less expensive, but equally nice, is Hosteria del Frayle. All are within spitting distance of Jardin de la Union, the main plaza. Check Lonely Planet's excellent guide to Guanajuato for more info. Rock

fuzzybill

Feb 17, 2008, 9:42 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rock] Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

Gracias Rock. Appreciate the guidance -- especially concerning the transportation to Gto at that time of night. Since no taxis autorizados at that time I presume that means we negotiate the fare up front, no? we're looking at all the lodgings everyone has recommended and will make our decision soon. Thanks again for all your help. -- FB

Oscar2

Feb 17, 2008, 12:17 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2991 views)

Shortcut

Attached is a couple of photos of a hotel we desired to find in the center of town close to restaurants, shopping and town squares. It’s called El Insurgentes Hotel. We found by chance when I asked a local about parking (difficult to find in the heart of El Centro), as part of hotel accommodations, and he said, for the buck it was widely known that El Insurgentes Hotel was the most popular. $40 US per night included security parking.

We looked at other hotels, but the one suggested suited us fine. What we enjoyed the most was it elevator took us up and away enough to mute the city noise to a comfortable level but yet, we were dead in the middle of it all.

This was very convenient since, as mentioned, GTO is hilly but from our vantage point most everything needed was in front of you or within a few blocks. Directly across the street (as shown in photo) un senior vende tamales out of a large hoja, steaming hot, large and absolutely delicious, a buck apiece. We would buy a few, go into an adjacent restaurant and ask if it would be okay to eat them at their table with the rest of the order of eggs, frijoles, arroz y café. They were very gracious and nice propina would follow.

GTO is a gem. The city burst with youth emerging from doorways, walking the streets and haunting every sidewalk café imaginable. At the very top of the city there is a glass incased vista point provided by a very nice hotels (name escapes me) restaurant overlooking the whole city while having lunch, dinner and/or a nice cocktail. In one of the photos sent on this thread you will see the uphill tram which gets you very close to the top where the statue of Papilla is just below this very nice restaurant. Just ask a cabbie and they’ll get you there is short order.

The aura of the city is very Mexican and appealing. The sidewalk café’s, Euro in nature were a strong hold for just sitting, sipping, eating and just people watching while leisurely relaxing. GTO is an all-time favorite!
Attachments: GTO Hotel 2-1.jpg (57.5 KB)

Oscar2

Feb 17, 2008, 12:50 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2988 views)

Shortcut

I guess I missed a photo. This photo was taken very early in the morning where the locals were just getting ready to open for business. This place teams with locals and visitors into the late night hours. Just in front of this bluish colored hotel, you'll see this little red speck (which is an hoja) with a guy standing behind it. These are the delicious tamales of which he gave us one and said in Spanish, " try it for nothing, if you like them then you can order what you need." We went back three other times.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Feb 17, 2008, 12:56 PM)
Attachments: View Hotel-1.jpg (57.2 KB)

fuzzybill

Feb 17, 2008, 1:31 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Transportation/Hotel Info for Guanajuato Visit

Thanx for the insights, recommendations and pics, Oscar. I can't get over how colorful Mexico is (especially in the photos of Gto I've seen). Can't wait to get there later this Spring. Thanks again for all the advice. PS -- I LOVE tamales ;>)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4