Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

porterlarson

Dec 17, 2007, 4:58 PM

Post #1 of 12 (5233 views)

Shortcut

Fireworks

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know where a person can buy fireworks in the Chapala to Jocotepec area? Not necessarily cuetes (the boom-booms) but others?

NEOhio1

Dec 17, 2007, 10:58 PM

Post #2 of 12 (5192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [porterlarson] Fireworks

Ask a local gardener. He will probably know. And if not he will find out for you.

jaybear

Dec 21, 2007, 2:57 PM

Post #3 of 12 (5129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Fireworks

I would also be interested in knowing. I have not seen fireworks signs in the Chapala area, and perhaps needless to say, I did not bring any with me across the border. I THINK I saw large sparklers for sale at the Ajijic tianguis yesterday, but maybe it was something else. Maybe I just do not recognize the signs. Is it legal to sell them in this area? As virtually the only person in lower Chula Vista who is not setting off fireworks, I feel deprived:(

P.S. My gardener would NOT consider that La Senora is an appropriate person to be setting off fireworks. It would be too embarassing to ask.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

esperanza

Dec 21, 2007, 3:12 PM

Post #4 of 12 (5129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Fireworks

If what you saw were three-foot wires with silverish stuff from the top down to about a foot from the end, yup, those were sparklers. They're called luces de bengala and come in that giant version as well as the standard-size sparklers that you remember from your childhood. Luces de bengala are traditionally burned at Christmas and the New Year.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

NEOhio1

Dec 21, 2007, 8:17 PM

Post #5 of 12 (5099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Fireworks

I am on the hunt for a years supply of luces de bengala. Wish me luck!!!

bournemouth

Dec 22, 2007, 6:22 AM

Post #6 of 12 (5080 views)

Shortcut

Try the artesania stands in Chapala alongside the lake - at this time of the year I'm willing to bet that they are being sold by someone there.

jaybear

Dec 23, 2007, 10:55 AM

Post #7 of 12 (5033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Fireworks

Are they sold legally here? Since I do not see advertisements for them, I am wondering.

JayBear

bournemouth

Dec 23, 2007, 11:42 AM

Post #8 of 12 (5027 views)

Shortcut

"legally" - hee hee, excuse me while I chuckle to myself. I have no idea if they are legal or not but several people were selling them at the Ajijic tianguis last Wednesday as they are popular items at this time of the year.

NEOhio1

Dec 23, 2007, 1:22 PM

Post #9 of 12 (5018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Fireworks

Our new supply of "m-80s on a stick" can't be had until after the first of the year. Sparklers it will be, and thanks for the directions. I really should wander thru the tianguis more often. It never occurred to me to ask if they were legal or not, so I don't know. And some of my neighbors would definitely tell you that I probably couldn't care.

jaybear

Dec 24, 2007, 5:22 AM

Post #10 of 12 (4982 views)

Shortcut

If you are in immediate need, may I remind you that the Chapala tianguis is today (Mon.) beginning at 10 opposite Sorianna.

The reason I asked about legality is that if it is legal, there would more likely be signs, which would help us find the stuff.

JayBear

esperanza

Dec 24, 2007, 5:45 AM

Post #11 of 12 (4981 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The reason I asked about legality is that if it is legal, there would more likely be signs, which would help us find the stuff.

Fireworks--the small kind like sparklers and whistlers, etc, that you find at Christmas--are generally sold by ambulatory vendors on street corners and in tianguis. It would be hard to put up signs for them.

Cohetes and castillos and the big fireworks you see at town fiestas are made by professionals, operated by professionals, and some require a permit to use. They're legal, but not for your personal use.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Jerry@Ajijic

Dec 25, 2007, 8:35 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [porterlarson] Fireworks

I think some people must have found fireworks. At least it sounded like it last night.
FELIZ NAVIDAD

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4