Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Zorro13

Dec 14, 2007, 6:43 AM

Post #1 of 12 (15717 views)

Shortcut

Internet and Cable TV

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can somebody give me some information on the cable and satellite connections available in the Chapala/Ajijic area and how I get a highspeed internet connection? Is there any reason for me to buy a HD television set to bring down with me?

johanson

Dec 14, 2007, 9:20 AM

Post #2 of 12 (15703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorro13] Internet and Cable TV

I love my HDTV. Most everything I watch is in HD. However, I don't get my HD programming from a local source. There is a little available on DISH network, but the DISH satellites that carry most of the HD signals are not viewable here.

The best system down here for HD is the Canadian Star Choice small dish system. I am able to receive the many of the same stations I receive up North in Seattle and Vancouver Island lakeside. I especially like watching my Seattle network stations in high definition via Star Choice..

esperanza

Dec 14, 2007, 9:57 AM

Post #3 of 12 (15700 views)

Shortcut

There are two (or possibly three) choices for high speed internet connection at Lake Chapala.

(1) Prodigy Infinitum, which you acquire through Telmex. You'll need a Telmex telephone line to have Prodigy Infinitum. There is no cost for installation of Prodigy Infinitum, although there is a charge for installing your telephone line. Basic monthly charge for telephone service plus Infinitum is $594.00 pesos.

(2) Lagunanet wireless. Pete Johanson can give you good information about installation charges and monthly charges.

(3) Telecable de Zapopan offers high speed cable Internet access in some areas at Lake Chapala. The Telecable office is on the Chapala/Jocotepec highway in Riberas del Pilar. Information re availability and costs is available there.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Oscar2

Dec 14, 2007, 10:53 AM

Post #4 of 12 (15695 views)

Shortcut

Zorro13, the latest HD entry on the market is TVís with 1080P resolution. It is currently the highest resolution available to date. Iím able to watch, with crystal clarity the new formatted ďBluRayĒ DVDís but you must also have a BluRay DVD player which are a bit pricy at this time. To realize this higher resolution, keep in mind you must also have a TV with 1080p capability or it just won't happen.

HD DVD players are less expensive with the same performance as BluRay but a war is on as to which format will prevail. BluRay thus far has the edge because a BluRay DVD can hold up to 50 gigs of info as opposed to HD only 30 gigs.

The move toward higher and higher resolution will always be in competitive motion. On the shelves, currently there are DVD players which UpConvert normal DVDís to the now new 1080P format. Prior to this format, 1080i was the craze.
You can pick up the new 1080p DVD players between 60-100 dollars in most big box or chain stores.

So, whether you get the proper kind of cable or satellite HD reception is still a question, one thing for sure, is you will get the best resolution/clarity with a 1080p TV in combination with inexpensive UpConverted DVD players.

If youíve shopped recently, youíve probably noticed Plasma screens have dropped precipitously, as has DLP screens. Currently LCDís seem to be the frontrunners in this media race. Good Luck.

Gringal

Dec 14, 2007, 11:38 AM

Post #5 of 12 (15689 views)

Shortcut

...Just my personal experience: We "inherited" Telecable internet service when we bought our place in Ajijic Centro last spring. The server was often out of commission all weekend and other times, all too often. Others may have had better experiences.
I was unhappy enough to switch to Telmex Prodigy, and the service has been very reliable.

For TV, Starchoice is very good.

johanson

Dec 14, 2007, 4:29 PM

Post #6 of 12 (15656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Internet and Cable TV

Gringal, this is a question not a challenge as I respect your opinion. I had heard that at first CyberCable, the cable division of TeleCable, did not have that great of a reputation, and when it came to town about a year ago, that there were a lot of interruptions. I heard though that with time that there were many fewer outages. a friend even said that things were pretty good now with Cybercable. Am I wrong?

The other two ISPs in the greater Lake Chapala area are Prodigy owned by the local phone company TelMex and the independent carrier www.laguna.com.mx

Gringal

Dec 14, 2007, 8:03 PM

Post #7 of 12 (15637 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet and Cable TV

We changed to Prodigy about 3 months ago. If something wonderful happened since then, then what I said wouldn't apply.

jslay

Nov 10, 2008, 6:49 AM

Post #8 of 12 (15438 views)

Shortcut

hi,
I lost my provider for Star Choice as i think he went back to Canada. I have all the equipment needed to receive TV. Who can you recommend for me to get service from? Can you please help me?
thanks,
Joe

jslay

Nov 10, 2008, 6:51 AM

Post #9 of 12 (15437 views)

Shortcut

Who is your provider for Star Choice. I think my guy went back to Canada. I have the dish and the receiver and jsut need to get it activated here.
thanks

johanson

Nov 10, 2008, 7:36 AM

Post #10 of 12 (15431 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jslay] Internet and Cable TV

My dealer is Jim Forman. He is on Vancouver Island where I have an account at the family summer cottage. We (the family) share expenses. One of those expenses assigned to me it the Star Choice system. So I am able to take a receiver with me when I head south to Seattle. I stay in a condo there and it is not very practical and when I come to Mexico I bring that same receiver with me and use it here.

Now for help with setting up my System, which I could do myself I have been using Ed Linfoot. Apparently he has had some health issues and won't be back until mid November. At least that's what his answering machine message at 766-2557 said about a week ago. There are several other satellite dealers in town. The first two that come to mind are Satellite Systems at 766-1117 and Satellite Source. I can't remember their phone number.

Good luck

jslay

Nov 10, 2008, 1:32 PM

Post #11 of 12 (15400 views)

Shortcut

hi
who do you use for your provider for Star Choice. My Star Choice is down and i cant reach my provider. So i dont have any TV and its very discouraging after i paid him for the year.
Thanks
jslay

johanson

Nov 10, 2008, 2:59 PM

Post #12 of 12 (15392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jslay] Internet and Cable TV

Because we have an address in Canada and I am a snowbird, my provider is Star Choice and my dealer is Jim Forman who is located in Duncan, BC. not far from the cottage.

I take it you do not have a residence in Canada. You will need to talk to one of the satellite dealers I mentioned above about what to do

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4