Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

RM

Oct 17, 2002, 7:48 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4201 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
Trying to do a bit of a crash course at night school before coming to Mexico this winter for 3 months.
The instructor is from Peru and tells us the word for "CAR" is carro. A computer course I am also using says "COCHE". As in "coche americano."
Which is used in Mexico? Or are they both correct?<p>Thanks in advance.
Gringo trying to learn

jennifer rose

Oct 17, 2002, 8:03 PM

Post #2 of 16 (4150 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
Both are correct, and both, along with "auto" and "automovil," are used in Mexico. "Coche" is a somewhat superannuated term, although still used and tending to mark the user as more than a tad haughty (or at least superior to thou), referring to one's "coach." Obviously, one who regularly employs the term "coche" dreams of owning a Bentley.<p>

Al

Oct 17, 2002, 8:05 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4149 views)

Shortcut

A very simple amswer!

Can't Post |
Both are correct.
Plus vehiculo & automóbil too.<p>
: Trying to do a bit of a crash course at night school before coming to Mexico this winter for 3 months.
: The instructor is from Peru and tells us the word for "CAR" is carro. A computer course I am also using says "COCHE". As in "coche americano."
: Which is used in Mexico? Or are they both correct?<p>: Thanks in advance.
: Gringo trying to learn<p>

RM

Oct 17, 2002, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4142 views)

Shortcut

simple question? Thanks for the info!! RM Nmsg

Can't Post |
:

brad

Oct 17, 2002, 9:00 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4155 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
Usually while driving their "carcancha"<p>
: Obviously, one who regularly employs the term "coche" dreams of owning a Bentley.<p>

Nip

Oct 18, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4149 views)

Shortcut

ok so what is a &quot;carcancha&quot;? :)

Can't Post |
: Usually while driving their "carcancha"<p>:
: : Obviously, one who regularly employs the term "coche" dreams of owning a Bentley.<p>

Esperanza

Oct 18, 2002, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 16 (4147 views)

Shortcut

ok so what is a &quot;carcancha&quot;? :)

Can't Post |
I believe he meant 'carcacha'...a jalopy

Al

Oct 18, 2002, 11:34 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4149 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
: Usually while driving their "carcancha"<p> Drop la "n"...carcacha<p>Ando en mi "dodge" pies!

brad

Oct 18, 2002, 12:13 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4144 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
The "n" stays. In some parts of Mexico they use carcancha and others carcacha. Where I'm at the term is carcancha.<p>: : Usually while driving their "carcancha"<p>: Drop la "n"...carcacha<p>: Ando en mi "dodge" pies!<p>

brad

Oct 18, 2002, 12:17 PM

Post #10 of 16 (4148 views)

Shortcut

no I meant what I said....

Can't Post |
From Jerga de México: <p>carcacha/carcancha: (f.) viejo automóvil destartalado. Quería vender su carcancha para comprar carro nuevo, pero nadie se la quiere comprar.<p>And where I live the term is carcancha. Look it up in your funky Wagnalls.<p>: I believe he meant 'carcacha'...a jalopy<p>

Lin Robinson

Oct 18, 2002, 5:45 PM

Post #11 of 16 (4144 views)

Shortcut

Coche--in Spain

Can't Post |
Interesting. I would think of coche as being a Spain type term, carro as being new world.

Lin Robinson

Oct 18, 2002, 5:47 PM

Post #12 of 16 (4146 views)

Shortcut

I always heard cucaracha,

Can't Post |
for a jalopy, and of course in US barrios they still say "ranfla"

oro

Oct 19, 2002, 10:43 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4153 views)

Shortcut

Jalopies are from Jalapa?

Can't Post |
: Trying to do a bit of a crash course at night school before coming to Mexico this winter for 3 months.
: The instructor is from Peru and tells us the word for "CAR" is carro. A computer course I am also using says "COCHE". As in "coche americano."
: Which is used in Mexico? Or are they both correct?<p>: Thanks in advance.
: Gringo trying to learn<p>Some told me a couple days ago that the word Jalopy comes from period in history when american used cars were brought into Jalapa via the port of veracruz. That those cars which many times were held together with baling wire or whatever were reffered to as Jalopies? Anyone care to confirm, shoot down or support this theory?<p>Rene

Roy B. Dudley El Gringo Jalapeño

Oct 19, 2002, 8:52 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Jalopies are from Jalapa?

Can't Post |
RM:
WOW!!! Your theory about jalopies= "carcachas" from Xalapa. Sounds interesting! There is a picture(1920?) of Mr. William Boone, Sr.(great great nephew of Daniel Boone) with another passanger in a Model T FORD driving up the steep steps of the Catedral in central Xalapa. It was one of the first cars here. He was a very interesting personality, building many monumental projects which are still an integral part of Xalapa(natural stadium, electric generating plant in Texolo, roads and highways to Veracruz, train to Teocelo, etc., etc.) His grandchildren(in their late 60's) still live in Mexico City. I hope I can write an article about this interesting family. Well, muchachos, tengo que dormir porque mañana salgo en mi bicicleta de montaña. ¡Hasta pronto! Roy<p> : : Trying to do a bit of a crash course at night school before coming to Mexico this winter for 3 months.
: : The instructor is from Peru and tells us the word for "CAR" is carro. A computer course I am also using says "COCHE". As in "coche americano."
: : Which is used in Mexico? Or are they both correct?<p>: : Thanks in advance.
: : Gringo trying to learn<p>: Some told me a couple days ago that the word Jalopy comes from period in history when american used cars were brought into Jalapa via the port of veracruz. That those cars which many times were held together with baling wire or whatever were reffered to as Jalopies? Anyone care to confirm, shoot down or support this theory?<p>: Rene<p>

javier

Oct 20, 2002, 11:32 AM

Post #15 of 16 (4154 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
Answer from a Mexican national: There are many differences in the usage of Spanish across Mexico. Roughly speaking, we can say that the word "carro" is mostly used in Southern Mexico, while "coche" is mostly heard in the central part of the country. I am not sure what word they would use in Northern Mexico, but there is another one: "auto" (for automóbil") which is also heard in the South. "vehículo" is mostly a technical term nobody would use in a familiar situation.<p>One more difference among the thousands that exist between the Mexican varieties of Spanish. In the southern Mexican states you would hear "nevera" for refrigerator, chilangos (Mexico city natives) use only "refrigerador" or simply "refri".

Georgia

Oct 20, 2002, 12:24 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4168 views)

Shortcut

A very simple question?

Can't Post |
I know I use some "archaic" words: nevera, coche, bombilla (lighbulb): my caretaker thinks I'm hilarious, but HE'S started using my outdated vocabulary!<p>: Answer from a Mexican national: There are many differences in the usage of Spanish across Mexico. Roughly speaking, we can say that the word "carro" is mostly used in Southern Mexico, while "coche" is mostly heard in the central part of the country. I am not sure what word they would use in Northern Mexico, but there is another one: "auto" (for automóbil") which is also heard in the South. "vehículo" is mostly a technical term nobody would use in a familiar situation.<p>: One more difference among the thousands that exist between the Mexican varieties of Spanish. In the southern Mexican states you would hear "nevera" for refrigerator, chilangos (Mexico city natives) use only "refrigerador" or simply "refri".<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4