Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Helene Huard

Aug 20, 2001, 11:59 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4643 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to Mexico

Can't Post |
I would like to have an update on travelling to Mexico with an RV. ie. entry at customs, cheating, thefts, crimes...<p>I have been to Mexico a couple of times already but lately I have been hearing horrors stories which really discourage me from going to Mexico again (a place i love). I would really appreciate input on how to entern and travell through Mexico. Is there organized caravan that I could join... <p>Thanks for your input.

sermextr

Aug 20, 2001, 4:39 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4638 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to Mexico

Can't Post |
I've been hearing the same horror stories for 30 years. When you're there, it seems safe. Everybody has heard of someone else who had a rough time, but it's rare to actually meet a victim of something more serious than pickpocketing or hotel theft. The one dangerous crime of which I actually met the victims happened at a resort, 150 meters from the restaurant. If you take precautions for your safety you should be as safe in Mexico as anywhere else. You're aware that tourists are murdered in the US, right?<p>I think the best place for information is http://www.rollinghomes.com
That is the web site for the authors of The Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping, which is essential reading if you're planning such a trip.<p>Caravans aren't for everyone. They're expensive and you're stuck with a particular group of people on a fixed itinerary. The caravaners I've talked with didn't learn anything about the country and didn't seem to care if they did. Most of the leaders don't speak Spanish.<p>There is an itinerary posted in the messages at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/theseriousmexicotourist which has turn-by-turn directions to the places of greatest interest in Mexico. It includes some city maps and it's free. The most interesting places include some places in the interior, so read the notes in the first part of the intinerary about vehicle size. You still have to answer the question of whether you want to go alone. I think the worst-case situation you have to deal with is mechanical breakdown. If you can deal with that, you should be okay.<p>If you have more questions, write me at sermextr@yahoo.com<p>: I would like to have an update on travelling to Mexico with an RV. ie. entry at customs, cheating, thefts, crimes...<p>: I have been to Mexico a couple of times already but lately I have been hearing horrors stories which really discourage me from going to Mexico again (a place i love). I would really appreciate input on how to entern and travell through Mexico. Is there organized caravan that I could join... <p>: Thanks for your input.<p>

sermextr

Aug 20, 2001, 4:53 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4628 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to Mexico

Can't Post |
I forgot to mention: the Rolling Homes web site includes some good links. That's what makes it a good place for information.

David Eidell

Aug 20, 2001, 9:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4627 views)

Shortcut

Yet Another Recommended URL

Can't Post |
RV'ers Online is an excellent site<p>Scroll to Articles & Travelogues and click<p>A bunch of articles about RV'ing Mexico will appear.<p>This is a non-profit website

sermextr

Aug 22, 2001, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4630 views)

Shortcut

Travelling to Mexico

Can't Post |
Here's another possibility. The Escapees RV club has a chapter for Mexico travel. People planning trips post on the Bulletin Board for fellow travelers. There are two posted for this winter as of now. http://home.att.net/~mexconnect/<p>I have trouble with that web site, but if you close the window and try again enough times it seems to work.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4