Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Judy in Ags

Oct 16, 2007, 7:45 PM

Post #1 of 50 (6909 views)

Shortcut

Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know if the $1000 casual import limit (I think that is what it is called), is per person, or per vehicle?

N2Futur

Nov 20, 2007, 11:00 AM

Post #2 of 50 (6775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

Judy - it is per vehicle. We arrived in Melaque 2 weeks ago with a pickup pulling a 6' x 12' trailer, loaded with furniture, misc stuff and electronics. I made a list in spanish with make, model and serial numbers and listed garage sale prices, as all items were used. They only took a cursory glance in the back of the trailer and that was it. I valued total of all items imported as $996. They did not charge us duty on 12 boxes of books and all boxes of clothing. Then he deducted US$ 50 per person and asked us if US$120 seemed reasonable. They sent us across the street to a bank, where we paid and after coming back to show the PAID receipt, we were on the way. It was very simple. We will make this trip again probably 2 or 3 more times.

Elke

jerezano

Nov 21, 2007, 7:11 AM

Post #3 of 50 (6714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

Hello all,

We need Rolly's help here. I have noticed in the local papers that the "Bienvenidos Paisanos" program has now been implimented for the Christmas season. I have seen nothing official.

But in that program, the $50 us dollar limit on purchases per person coming into Mexico is usually increased to $300 us dollars per person.

Rolly: Has the program been implemented? What are the personal limits on purchases? Are these limits applicable to air travelers as well as ground? Has the $1000 us dollar limit per automobile also been increased? And, of course what is the period of coverage? Is it until January 31, 2008, and when did it start?

I am asking you Rolly because you always seem to have your finger on current government policies.

Adiós. jerezano.

Georgia

Nov 21, 2007, 7:37 AM

Post #4 of 50 (6706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

I checked on the aduana website, and, indeed, the import allowance by car is increased from $50 to $300 per person in each vehicle from Nov. 23 to Jan 8 or thereabouts. But it states that it is for Mexicans. I am going to check with aduana on my way out to make sure that it does not also apply to those with immigrant status because we have a new TV waiting for us in Texas that we want to bring back and I want to make sure I have enough pesos to pay the tax. I ALWAYS get the red light either at the crossing or at the 20 mile aduana checkpoint.

Rolly

Nov 21, 2007, 8:31 AM

Post #5 of 50 (6698 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I know nothing about this issue.

Rolly Pirate

Georgia

Nov 28, 2007, 2:13 PM

Post #6 of 50 (6600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

If you look at the aduana website in English is indicates that the $1000 limit is per person, not per vehicle and that is raised to $3000 during the present holiday period until Jan 8. There is another period in the month of July when the franquicia is raised as well. Go to www.aduana.gob.mx and click on the English version.

Moisheh

Dec 1, 2007, 4:03 PM

Post #7 of 50 (6520 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

At Nogales they only allow $1000 per car. The franquicia of $300 is for Mexican nationals only. Let me tell you another story: If you are over the $1050.00 a causal entry is not allowed. You will need a customs broker and every class of item requires sperate entry forms. Do not ask how I know this!!!

Moisheh

Moisheh

Dec 1, 2007, 4:26 PM

Post #8 of 50 (6515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

THat link did not work for me but I went to www.aduana.sat.gob.mx I dont see anything about the $1000 being per person nor is there much in English. I found all the info under Guia de Importacion. I would really like to find the info about $1000 per person as it would help us bring more goods at one time. There is also some information in Spanish with a list of things that can be brought in with no duties once a year. Or at least that is what my basic Spanish understood. Help please.

Moisheh

Moisheh

Dec 1, 2007, 4:28 PM

Post #9 of 50 (6514 views)

Shortcut

5.4 Lista de mercancías que puede importarse sin estar inscrito en el padrón

de importadores

Por otra parte, a los pasajeros se les permite la importación de las siguientes

mercancías sin necesidad de que estén inscritos en el Padrón de Importadores,

Igualmente las efectuadas por personas físicas para su uso personal, hasta el

número de unidades que se encuentren contenidas en la siguiente lista, siempre

que no se tramiten más de dos pedimentos por un mismo importador al año:

Mercancía Cantidad

Animales vivos 2

Alimentos enlatados 10

Juguetes 10

Juguetes electrónicos 2

Muebles de uso doméstico 10 piezas o 3 juegos

Ropa y accesorios 10

Calzado y partes de calzado 10 pares o piezas

Equipo deportivo 1

Motocicleta 1

Bicicleta 1

Llantas nuevas para automóvil, camioneta, camión y bicicleta 5 piezas

Aparatos electrodomésticos 6 piezas

Partes de equipo de cómputo 5

Equipo de profesionistas 1 juego

Herramienta 2 juegos

Bisutería 20

Joyería 3

Discos, casetes o discos compactos grabados 20

Bebidas alcohólicas 24 litros.

Trofeos de caza 3

Vehículos, incluyendo los blindados, previo permiso de la SE 1 pieza

Embarcaciones incluso con su remolque, helicópteros y aviones 1 pieza

Fundamento: Artículos 50 y 88 de la Ley Aduanera y

This what I found:

Moisheh

Mostley Lost

Dec 1, 2007, 8:53 PM

Post #10 of 50 (6484 views)

Shortcut

The link needed to access the limit is http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...A_Body_Pasajeros.htm

... "If the value of the goods surpasses one thousand dollars (per family member) after subtracting the US$50 exemption, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker
- From November 21st, 2005 until January 10th, 2006 you will be able to import goods in the mentioned procedure, as long as its value does not exceed 3,000 dollars
- If you bring a desktop computer, you may pay duties and taxes by filling out a payment form as long as the value of the computer and its peripherals and accessories do not exceed US$4,000. If the total value of the computer and its peripherals and accessories exceeds US$4,000 you must hire the services of a customs broker"...

Check the dates on the paragraph.. is it the same this year??

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2007, 5:42 AM

Post #11 of 50 (6463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Randy & Elaine] Question re: $1000 Casual Import Limit

La franquicia para pasajeros de nacionalidad mexicana provenientes del extranjero que ingresen al país por vía terrestre, siempre que no se trate de personas residentes en la franja o región fronteriza, se incrementara de 50 dólares hasta por 300 dólares en los siguientes periodos
- 19 de marzo al 8 de abril de 2007
- 1 al 31 de julio de 2007
- 20 de noviembre de 2007 al 8 de enero de 2008

¿Cuánto se paga como impuesto por las mercancías adicionales al equipaje personal y la franquicia?
Si rebasas tu franquicia pero no por más de tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debes llenar el formulario Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior, calculando 15% del valor de tus mercancías, el cual será el impuesto que deberás pagar.
Si el valor de tus mercancías es mayor a tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debes contratar los servicios de un agente aduanal, quien calculará el impuesto y realizará los trámites de importación (pregunta en la aduana dónde localizarlo

AH Mexico!! Where everything is clear as mud. The Spanish version has current dates. It also clearly states that the $300 Xmas franquicia only applies to Mexican nationals????? There is no mention of the $1000 rule but instead refers to a $3000 amount. Also no mention of per family member for the $3000 amount. Or is my Spanish rusty?? I am not doubting anyone . We are heading SOB soon and would bring back more than $1000 if I could just pay the 15 %.

Moisheh

Georgia

Dec 2, 2007, 8:23 AM

Post #12 of 50 (6451 views)

Shortcut

I just came through the border:

Non-Mexicans: per person $50 per person above what is permitted. Take careful notice of the exemption for camping supplies. One can get creative here.

They inform me that at this time, if you are above $3000 per person you must use a customs agent. At Colombia Bridge they seemed to believe this was a new and permanent rule, but I don't see that on the aduana website, in English or in Spanish.

If you are a Mexican citizen from now until Jan 8 and in the month of July you can bring in per person $300 above what is permitted with no duty.

jerezano

Dec 2, 2007, 8:52 AM

Post #13 of 50 (6447 views)

Shortcut

Hello all,

There seems to a lot of confusion about what one can bring into México and I am one of the people confused. So I went to the Mexican Government web site to get some clarification. Moisheh has posted part of the law so I will post some more just to get things clearer--or add to the confusion.

First of all the Site in English while it gives correct information is restricted to people arriving by AIR or by SEA. It does not say so and it gives the impression that all people arriving to México whether by air or land or sea have the same right to a FRANQUICIA of $300 us dollars per person. That is misleading. People arriving by car only have a franquicia of $50 us dollars. So I have posted the law in Spanish with my translation.

>>>>>>>>>>Law quoted in Spanish<<<<<<<<<
FRANQUICIA.
Es el permiso que el gobierno mexicano concede a una persona, ya sea nacional o extranjera, para no pagar derechos e impuestos por una determinada cantidad de mercancías que introduce al país.
Translation:
The Franquicia is the permission that the Mexican government concedes to EACH PERSON, whether national or foreign, not to pay import duties and taxes for a determined quantity of merchandise that he/she introduces to the country.

Sp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Cuando llegue a territorio nacional por vía marítima o aérea
Su franquicia será de hasta 300 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, en uno o varios artículos, excepto tratándose de cervezas, bebidas alcohólicas y tabacos labrados

English*************

When [that person] arrives in Mexico via sea or air his/her franquicia will be up to $300 dollars or its equivalent in national or foreign currency in either one or more articles, except for beer, alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

Sp>>>>>>>>>>>>
Cuando ingrese al país por vía terrestre
su franquicia cubre hasta 50 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, en uno o varios artículos, excepto tratándose de cervezas, bebidas alcohólicas, tabacos labrados y gasolina, salvo la contenida en el tanque de gasolina del vehículo de acuerdo con las especificaciones del fabricante

English***********
When [that person] enters Mexico by land his/her franquicia will be up to $50 dollars or its equivalent in national or foreign currency in one or more articles, except beer, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and gasoline, except that contained in the gasoline tank of the vehicle in accord with the specifications of the manufacturer.

Sp>>>>>>>>>>>
Para ambos casos se deberá contar con la factura, comprobante de venta o cualquier otro documento que exprese el valor comercial de las mercancías.

Englishl*******

In both cases [that person] must have the bill, proof of sale, or other document that shows the commercial value of the merchandise.

Sp>>>>>>>>>>
Las cantidades podrán acumularse por el padre, la madre y los hijos, considerando inclusive a los menores de edad, cuando el arribo a territorio nacional sea simultáneo y en el mismo medio de transporte.

English*******
The quantities can be accumulated for the father, the mother and the children, including minors, when the arrival to Melxico is simultaneous and in the same vehicle [mode of tranport].

SP>>>>>>>> And here is the kicker which we all want to know.
La franquicia para pasajeros de nacionalidad mexicana provenientes del extranjero que ingresen al país por vía terrestre, siempre que no se trate de personas residentes en la franja o región fronteriza, se incrementara de 50 dólares hasta por 300 dólares en los siguientes periodos
- 19 de marzo al 8 de abril de 2007
- 1 al 31 de julio de 2007
- 20 de noviembre de 2007 al 8 de enero de 2008

English********

The franquicia for passengers of MEXICAN NATIONALITY
coming from the exterior and who enter México by land, when not treating persons who are resident in the border zones or regions, will be incremented from $50 dollars to $300 dollars in the following periods:
[Two of those periods have now passed. The only one still current is:]
20 November 2007 to 8 January 2008

SO THE LAW IS CLEAR. THAT INCREASE IN FRANQUICIA IS ONLY FOR MEXICAN NATIONALS. IT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO FOREIGN RESIDENTS.

Nevertheless in past years at least along the Southern Texas border Cd. Mier, Reynosa, Pharr, Nuevo Progresso, Los Indios, and Matamoros that franquicia, in my personal experience, has been extended to me as a resident in Mexico. Nothing ever said, but I have always been allowed through without payment, whether inspected or just waived through.

Sp>>>>>>>>>>>>>
¿Cuánto se paga como impuesto por las mercancías adicionales al equipaje personal y la franquicia?

English*******
How much does one pay as tax for the addaitional personal equipment and the franquicia?

Sp>>>>>>>>>>>
Si rebasas tu franquicia pero no por más de tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debes llenar el formulario Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior, calculando 15% del valor de tus mercancías, el cual será el impuesto que deberás pagar.

English*********
If [the individual, group, vehicle or party--IT IS FOR THE GROUP] exceeds the franquicia but by no more than three thousand dollars or its equivalent in national or foreign currency, the person must fill out the form Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior, calculating 15% of the value of his/her/their merchandise, and that will be the tax that he/she/they must pay.

SkP>>>>>>>>>
Si el valor de tus mercancías es mayor a tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debes contratar los servicios de un agente aduanal, quien calculará el impuesto y realizará los trámites de importación (pregunta en la aduana dónde localizarlo.

English*******
If the value of the merchandise is greater than three thousand dollars or its equivalent in national or foreign currency, one must contract the services of an import agent, who will calculate the tax and complete the necesary procedures for the importation (ask at the customs where to find an import agent).

Sp>>>>>>>>
Ultima actualización realizada el 03 de Octubre de 2007

English****
The last updating of this page was done on the 3rd of October 2007.

PLEASE NOTE THE CURRENCY OF THE WEB PAGE.

Georgia, please note the last two paragraphs which speak of the necessity to fill out a form and pay 15% tax if the total franquicia does not exceed $3000 dollars and if it it does exceed the $3000 limit the necessity to hire an import broker.

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Dec 2, 2007, 9:00 AM)

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2007, 10:20 AM

Post #14 of 50 (6428 views)

Shortcut

jerezano: Thank you for that translation. I thought I understood what they were saying. If I read it correctly it seems the amount by which you can exceed your $50 exemption has changed to $3000. This appears to have nothing to do with the time of year. Did you see the part that I posted in Spanish? That I do not understand. Can you help? Seems to be a lot of things that enter duty free??

Moisheh

jerezano

Dec 2, 2007, 1:16 PM

Post #15 of 50 (6414 views)

Shortcut

Hello Moisheh,

The franquicia for us resident foreigners if we arrive by car is $50 u s dollars a person or its equivalent in pesos. A man and wife with 5 kids can enter with $350 u s dollars of merchandise without any tax. This is in accord with the following:
>>>>>>
If [the individual, group, vehicle or party--IT IS FOR THE GROUP] exceeds the franquicia but by no more than three thousand dollars or its equivalent in national or foreign currency, the person must fill out the form Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior, calculating 15% of the value of his/her/their merchandise, and that will be the tax that he/she/they they must pay.<<<<<

Thus: he/she/they must fill out the Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior and pay 15% tax on that excess, whatever it might be. So says the law.

I have not yet met that law in 18 years of life here in México. What usually happens is that if the inspector doesn't want you to pass with what you have, he/she hems and haws and finally sets a "tax" that he/she will accept. You pay that price, you get no receipt, and you go on your way. I have once run into an inspection where THEY [the aduaneros] have filled out a form, charged me a small tax and sent me on my way with a receipt.

My son and daughter-in-law and the two grand kids once brought me a $450 electric generator (franquicia of $200 for the four) which they were asked what it was for and they said I lived in a community without electricity. Passed with no more questions and no tax.

You said: >>>>If I read it correctly it seems the amount by which you can exceed your $50 exemption has changed to $3000.<<<< That amount of $3000 u s dollars is correct. But you must pay 15% tax on that excess and there are certain items which are excluded, while not listed above; desk top and larger computers are items which are treated specially, for example.

And if you exceed that $3000 u s dollars you must employ an import broker to process the importation and the tax will be different from the 15% specified above.

Now as we all know, many customs agents do not know the law, or perhaps are running a small scam. So, some of them may tell you that $1000 us dollars is the limit where you must hire a customs broker. But as you can see the latest version of the law specifies $3000 us dollars. So, it just might be wise to carry a copy of that law with you if you plan to import any large items.

One other thing: A lot depends on the vehicle in which you are transferring the goods. At the Pharr International Truck Bridge for example, the largest vehicle permitted without going through special lanes and special tramites is a pickup. Any trucks (not pickups) , such as 2 ton and a half or or more must go through special lanes and treatment. And at Reynosa, no trucks larger than a pickup are permitted. Anything larger is sent off to Pharr. I know nothing about motor-homes or trailers but I would suggest that one not try to enter at Reynosa with them, Go to Pharr instead. Better yet, go to Los Indios.

Are there any other clarifications needed?

As for your reading of what you can bring into Mexico as personal equipment, that is a different posting. Let me go to that posting, read what you have written, and see if I can make it any clearer.

Does all this just add to the confusion? I hope not.

Adiós. jerezano.

jerezano

Dec 2, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #16 of 50 (6409 views)

Shortcut

Hello Moisheh,

I have never seen this list before. I find it interesting. It conflicts with other lists which I have seen for passengers arriving in Mexico by car, so I will make no comment other than to translate it into English for you and the rest of us.

You posted:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
5.4 Lista de mercancías que puede importarse sin estar inscrito en el padrón
de importadores

Eng: 5.4 List of merchandise which can be imported without being listed in the Register of Importers. [What this means I have no idea!]

Por otra parte, a los pasajeros se les permite la importación de las siguientes
mercancías sin necesidad de que estén inscritos en el Padrón de Importadores.

Eng:
For other part, the passengers are permited the importation of the following merchandise without necessity of being entered into the Register of Importers.

Igualmente las efectuadas por personas físicas para su uso personal, hasta el
número de unidades que se encuentren contenidas en la siguiente lista, siempre
que no se tramiten más de dos pedimentos por un mismo importador al año:

Eng: Equally, [the importations made] by real people [not corporations, etc] for their personal use to the number of items which are contained in the following list, with the provision that they may not process more than two orders [Pedidos? pedimentos is not in the Spanish dictionary] by the same person in one year.

Mercancía Cantidad
Eng: Merchandise and Quantity

Animales vivos 2
Eng: Two live animals

Alimentos enlatados 10
Eng: Canned food 10 pieces
Juguetes 10
Eng: Games 10 pieces
Juguetes electrónicos 2
Eng: Electronic Games 2 pieces

Muebles de uso doméstico 10 piezas o 3 juegos
Eng: Furniture for domestic use 10 pieces or 3 suites

Ropa y accesorios 10
Eng: Clothing and accesories 10 pieces

Calzado y partes de calzado 10 pares o piezas
Eng: Shoes and parts of shoes 10 pairs or pieces

Equipo deportivo 1
Eng: Sports equipment 1 piece (set?)

Motocicleta 1
Eng: Motorcycle 1
Bicicleta 1
Eng: Bicycle 1

Llantas nuevas para automóvil, camioneta, camión y bicicleta 5 piezas
Eng: New tires for an automobile, pickup, truck and bicycle 5 pieces

Aparatos electrodomésticos 6 piezas
Eng: Electric domestic items[coffeemaker for example] 6 pieces

Partes de equipo de cómputo 5
Eng: Computer parts 5 pieces

Equipo de profesionistas 1 juego
Eng: Professional equipment one set

Herramienta 2 juegos
Eng: Tools 2 sets

Bisutería 20
Eng: Costume jewelry 20 pieces

Joyería 3
Eng: Jewelry 3 pieces

Discos, casetes o discos compactos grabados 20
Eng: Disks, cassettes or compact disks[ not blanks] 20 pieces

Bebidas alcohólicas 24 litros.
Eng: Alcoholic beverages 24 liters

Trofeos de caza 3
Eng: Hunting trophies 3

Vehículos, incluyendo los blindados, previo permiso de la SE 1 pieza
Eng: Vehicles, including those armored, with previous permision of the SE 1 vehicle

Embarcaciones incluso con su remolque, helicópteros y aviones 1 pieza
Eng: Boats including its trailer, helicopteros and airplanes 1 piece

Fundamento: Artículos 50 y 88 de la Ley Aduanera y
Eng: Based on Articulo 50 and 88 of the Customs Law and

Now what this list is I don't know. It is not applicable to what a passenger entering Mexico by car can import. For that list see our friend Rolly's websites.

I have only translated this list because Mosiheh wanted it translated. I can't see where it can be used by any of us, but who knows?

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Dec 2, 2007, 2:32 PM)

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2007, 2:06 PM

Post #17 of 50 (6408 views)

Shortcut

Jerezano: We once declared $1500.00. I figured it was $1000 per person. Wrong. I had to go back to the border ( we were on the truck route from Nogales) and get a customs broker. A real pain. We have never paid mordida and on this truck route they ask you to go inside and pay the duty. My post #9 in this thread is the section I do not understand. Thanks for all the help.

Moisheh

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2007, 3:15 PM

Post #18 of 50 (6392 views)

Shortcut

So I guess I can bring in: 24 beers, 2 cows and ahummer with armor plating!! Cool.

Moisheh

jerezano

Dec 2, 2007, 3:34 PM

Post #19 of 50 (6387 views)

Shortcut

Hello Moisheh,

You said:>>>>>>>>> So I guess I can bring in: 24 beers, 2 cows and a hummer with armor plating!! Cool.

Yes, obviously, but only through a special process which has not been described and is not apparent to the normal person entering Mexico in a car. We need to know where you got the information, etc., to find out how and when to bring in those two cows and a hummer "blindado". Be sure and order it Red so you and Fox can join up in a desfile.

Adiós. jerezano

hopalog

Dec 2, 2007, 4:49 PM

Post #20 of 50 (6380 views)

Shortcut

We just flew into Cancun for the first time (we have always driven in the past). Of course we got the red light. We had 12 suitcases, 4 laptop bags, 1 carseat and 6 backpacks. At least 3-4 of the suitcases were full of books (homeschool). We had one suitcase full of Xmas gifts for the kids, one full of trailer supplies (lights, 2 sewer hoses; you name it) diesel oil filters and air filters. Oh, and clothes, toys the kids had taken OUT of Mexico and back in, etc. About 1/2 way through the inspection, after seeing the upteenth suitcase and/or backpack full of books, the inspector waved us away. "You have a LOT of people" he finally said. yea. Four kids, two adults. :)

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Moisheh

Dec 2, 2007, 5:08 PM

Post #21 of 50 (6373 views)

Shortcut

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...ortacion/GI05_06.pdf

This is a link to the web site wehere I found that information.

Moisheh

jerezano

Dec 3, 2007, 7:03 AM

Post #22 of 50 (6335 views)

Shortcut

Hello Moisheh,

I went to the web site.
http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...ortacion/GI05_06.pdf

That information is>>>> Fundamento: regla 2.7.1. de las Reglas de Carácter
General en Materia de Comercio Exterior para 2006

Emglish: Base: rule 2.7.1 of the general rules in relation to Exterior Commerce for 2006.

So those pages apply to 2006 only.

If you will look at the bottom of each page you will find the 2006 date. Also the page which allows the franquicia for foreign passengers to increase from $1000 us dollars to $3000 us dollars shows all three periods to be in 2006.

So those pages are obsolete. One of the hazards of the Internet is that obsolete material is often not deleted.

One item of interest and which has caused so much confusion is that in 2006 in accordance with these obsolete pages, foreigners last year were entitled to the increase in the franquicia from $1000 to $3000 us dollars. That is where the confusion lies. This year, we are not entitled to that increase. It has been restricted to Mexican nationals resident in foreign countries and NOT living in the frontier zones.

Does this kill this particular matter?

I hope there is no more confusion.

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Dec 3, 2007, 7:09 AM)

Moisheh

Dec 3, 2007, 7:25 AM

Post #23 of 50 (6330 views)

Shortcut

OK. I wil try to add some more to already muddy water:

Es el permiso que el gobierno mexicano concede a una persona, ya sea nacional o extranjera, para no pagar derechos e impuestos por una determinada cantidad de mercancías que introduce al país.
  • Cuando llegue a territorio nacional por vía marítima o aérea
    Su franquicia será de hasta 300 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, en uno o varios artículos, excepto tratándose de cervezas, bebidas alcohólicas y tabacos labrados

• Cuando ingrese al país por vía terrestre
    Su franquicia cubre hasta 50 dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, en uno o varios artículos, excepto tratándose de cervezas, bebidas alcohólicas, tabacos labrados y gasolina, salvo la contenida en el tanque de gasolina del vehículo de acuerdo con las especificaciones del fabricante

Para ambos casos se deberá contar con la factura, comprobante de venta o cualquier otro documento que exprese el valor comercial de las mercancías.

Las cantidades podrán acumularse por el padre, la madre y los hijos, considerando inclusive a los menores de edad, cuando el arribo a territorio nacional sea simultáneo y en el mismo medio de transporte.

La franquicia para pasajeros de nacionalidad mexicana provenientes del extranjero que ingresen al país por vía terrestre, siempre que no se trate de personas residentes en la franja o región fronteriza, se incrementara de 50 dólares hasta por 300 dólares en los siguientes periodos:
  • 19 de marzo al 8 de abril de 2007
  • 1 al 31 de julio de 2007
  • 20 de noviembre de 2007 al 8 de enero de 2008

Si rebasa su franquicia, pero no por más de tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debe llenar el formulario Pago de Contribuciones al Comercio Exterior, calculando 15% del valor de sus mercancías, el cual será el impuesto que deberá pagar.

Si el valor de sus mercancías es mayor a tres mil dólares o su equivalente en moneda nacional o extranjera, debe contratar los servicios de un agente aduanal, quien calculará el impuesto y realizará los trámites de importación (pregunte en la aduana dónde localizarlo).

It appears that the $3000 limit is no longer only at certain times. This also applies to all who enter the country. This page was updated in Oct. 07

Moisheh

Rolly

Dec 3, 2007, 8:10 AM

Post #24 of 50 (6320 views)

Shortcut

Moisheh, please give us the URL where you found that information. Thanks.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Dec 3, 2007, 8:27 AM

Post #25 of 50 (6317 views)

Shortcut

Hello Moisheh,

Yes, you have added more mud to the already muddy water. For a translation of the quoted page in Spanish please go to my posting of December 2, 2007 at 8:52 AM. That is several postings back in this thread.

In that translation you will find that the franquicia for foreigners entering México by land is $50 us dollars per person so a car containing 5 people would have a franquicia of $250 us dollars. That is all. There is no more.

You said:>>>>>>>>> It appears that the $3000 limit is no longer only at certain times. This also applies to all who enter the country.<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is true but....

The $3000 us dollar limit is NOT the limit of the franquicia. The $3000 limit is the point where the person/party needs to hire an import broker. Nothing more. Below that $3000 limit the person/party needs to file a form which will result in a 15% tax on the excess above the franquicia, in the case of our 5 people $250 us dollars. So supposing our party of 5 has $3000 us dollars of imports, they need to fill out the form and pay a 15% tax on $2750 us dollars worth of merchandise ($412.50).

Should the importation be more than $3000 then the import broker must be hired and that broker will process all paper work and calculate the tax that must be paid. What that tax rate will be is not specified.

Remember, the franquicia for foreigners entering Mexico by land is only $50 us dollars per person. By air or sea it is $300 us dollars per person. Those limits remain in effect. There are, THIS YEAR, no seasons at which those franquicias have been raised for foreigners. This is contrary to what happened last year in 2006.

Adiós. jerezano.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4