Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Ganadero

Nov 17, 2007, 11:00 PM

Post #1 of 23 (3666 views)

Shortcut

South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
In one of my more unusual google searches, I ran across this article about the burgeoning South African tequila industry.

http://www.southafrica.info/...ing/agave-301007.htm

The part that suprised me wasn't the premise that South Africa actually grows Agave and produces Tequila given the perfect climate of the eastern Cape and the industrious Boer farmers of the region. It was the fact that they export Tequila around the world, even Mexico!

Ganadero

Ganadero

"Always drink upstream from the herd"

Bloviator

Nov 19, 2007, 6:30 AM

Post #2 of 23 (3594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ganadero] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Sorry, but that is not tequila. By definition tequila is only that which is grown in Mexico in the Tequila region.

According to the article you cite: While agave spirit and tequila are the same thing, the name "tequila" is protected under international trade laws. Labelled tequila has to have been distilled and come from the western Mexican state of Jalisco, primarily in the area surrounding the town of Tequila. The Graaff-Reinet distillery brands its products "Agava".

In Temecula CA they are now producing a fine product called Temequila. It sells for about $80 US per bottle and if one didn't know the difference it would seem to be tequila. However, it is produced in CA and therefore, isn't tequila.

Of course, although Champagne is only sparkling wine produced in the Champagne region of France, there is lots of other wine being sold as Champagne.

Please don't consider this a slam. I'm sure you read the article and know that technically the products of SA and CA are not tequila.

(This post was edited by Bloviator on Nov 19, 2007, 6:35 AM)

Doriabar

Dec 22, 2007, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 23 (3510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bloviator] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

You seem to be a conasseur of tequila, do you happen to know if Patrone's is produced in Jalisco and where one can buy it in Jalisco, I am assuming if anywhere you can get it in P.V. or Gualajara, do you know of anywhere else?

bournemouth

Dec 23, 2007, 6:52 AM

Post #4 of 23 (3491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Doriabar] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

A Google search says that it is not sold in Mexico.

You could contact them here: http://www.patronspirits.com/en/functional/company/

beatricemor

Dec 23, 2007, 8:03 AM

Post #5 of 23 (3484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Patron is a brand made in Guadalajara for export only.

ken_in_dfw

Dec 23, 2007, 8:32 PM

Post #6 of 23 (3437 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well, you learn something new every day. I wasn't aware that Mexico had adopted the same terroir designation for tequila as France has for its wines. Makes sense I guess.

But I'm trying to figure out how Corralejo gets away with the tequila designation. It's produced in Pénjamo, Guanajuato. I love it. It's one of my favorite "tequilas." And that's exactly what the bottle says it is.

bournemouth

Dec 24, 2007, 6:46 AM

Post #7 of 23 (3418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

There is a map to be found somewhere of the tequila domain areas - it is not limited to the immediate area of the town of Tequila - but I can't drag it up from anywhere. There is even an area in Tabasco that is included but the guide who showed us around La Cofradia was very contemptuous of that, saying it was strictly a political decision.

esperanza

Dec 24, 2007, 10:04 AM

Post #8 of 23 (3399 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
But I'm trying to figure out how Corralejo gets away with the tequila designation. It's produced in Pénjamo, Guanajuato. I love it. It's one of my favorite "tequilas." And that's exactly what the bottle says it is.

Way more than you ever really wanted to know about the production of tequila:

http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/laws.htm

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

wendy devlin

Dec 24, 2007, 10:25 AM

Post #9 of 23 (3393 views)

Shortcut

Regarding Corralejo Tequila, has anyone here, taken a tour of their distilliary at Penjamo?

The company has a flashy, promotional web-site. They also host a weekly Spanish language television program, filmed entirely at the Hacienda El Corralejo, birhtplace of Padre Miguel Hidalgo.

http://www.tequilacorralejo.com/default.aspx

ken_in_dfw

Dec 24, 2007, 10:35 AM

Post #10 of 23 (3393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Can't Post |
Wow! A hearty Christmas "cheers" for that link, Esperanza!

You're right - loads of information - some interesting, some arcane about tequila production and laws in Mexico.

Bournemouth (and for anyone else interested), there is a section of the site that Esperanza provided with maps here. You can either do a pull-down from the top navigation menu (under "Tequila Country") or click on one of the Quick Links on the left.

robrt8

Dec 24, 2007, 11:08 AM

Post #11 of 23 (3383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

I went on the tour--it was nice. I like the video better. I must say though, once I smelled agave being roasted, tequila took on a whole new flavor.

beatricemor

Dec 24, 2007, 11:18 AM

Post #12 of 23 (3380 views)

Shortcut

Not only Mexico but many other countries have adopted, terroir, climat to be part of their appellation, this goes for many other products such as cheeses, cofee etc...
Tequila can be produced and sold with the tequila appellation from 180 municipalities located within the following 5 States: Guanajuato, Nayarit, Michoacan, Jalisco ,Tamaulipas .

Oscar2

Dec 24, 2007, 2:52 PM

Post #13 of 23 (3360 views)

Shortcut

A few years after I met my wife, in 1975 on one of our trips to Mexico we were determined to drive all the way down the coast to Acapulco. On one of the legs of our trip, we stayed in a trailer park in Mazatlan. We had as neighbors some Canadians in a Greyhound bus who we used to party with. We were young, brash and hell raisers back then and were determined to have a good time while doing it.

One day one of the Canadians rented a yellow convertible jeep like Volkswagen and we all piled in for a ride to find somewhere inland from the coast either a Tequila factory or possible it was a Mescal factory. Can’t quite remember which or whether it still exist there or not.

Nonetheless, they told/warned us that with Mescal one can hallucinate in route to getting the magical worm. We made sure we emptied the bottles in route to the worm and yes we were actually hallucinating or so drunk that we didn’t know the difference. What I clearly remember was we were making horses arses of ourselves hooping and hollering on a bus to El Centro Mazatlan. We hung loose in those days and yes, we enjoyed driving all the way down the coast through all the small little villages along the way on our 2 month stay.

I’m not quite sure today, but I’ve often thought about that fun filled day in Mazatlan and wonder if the Tequila or Mescal factory still exists?

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Dec 24, 2007, 2:53 PM)

Bloviator

Dec 25, 2007, 6:13 AM

Post #14 of 23 (3332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beatricemor] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

While I do not disagree with the posting that Patron is for export only, last night, in response to Doriabars query, I went to the liquor store next to SuperLake in San Antonio Tlayacapan and asked if the had Patron. They did have a bottle of Patron Silver, which I assume is a tequila blanco, though I couldn't see the tequila through the box.

I was surprised to find the bottle available, as I had thought Patron was only for export. I had asked around for it before and had not found any available.

I suspect that it is supposed to be only for export for the following reasons:

The price was over $800 pesos. In the US, it is less or about the same depending on the exchange rate at any given time. All other tequilas that I have seen are more expensive NoB, often as much as double. (which is why I drink wine there).

It was 80 proof. As far as I know most tequila shipped NoB is 80 proof. That sold here is 70 proof (35%) or 76 proof (38%). The difference is important because the tequila NoB is more potent.

The box did not state point of origin or the local distributor, but did indicate the name of the import company in the US (Las Vegas).

I doubt that Patron is worth the price, which I believe to be a NoB price. There are lots of excellent tequilas here that one can purchase for considerably less. I know that Patron is an affectation for some NoB and they are willing to pay the price for snob appeal.

I may be wrong about the above statement, as I have not had Patron for quite some time and have had little. At $75 US, my hosts have been a little reluctant to waste it on me.

(This post was edited by Bloviator on Dec 25, 2007, 6:17 AM)

drmike

Dec 25, 2007, 9:09 AM

Post #15 of 23 (3318 views)

Shortcut

I do not drink alcohol, so I may be ignorant of the subject, but it seems to me that the Costco store in Toluca had quite a large display of Patron Tequila a couple of months ago. I remembered it because one of the parking lot attendants refers to me as "Patron" when I visit.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

esperanza

Dec 25, 2007, 12:01 PM

Post #16 of 23 (3302 views)

Shortcut

Bloviator, there are a few tequilas available in Mexico that cost considerably more than 800 pesos. Some of those are double that price.

There's a liquor store on Río Juárez in Tlaquepaque that has literally hundreds of tequilas for sale, including the extreme premium brands.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

MazDee

Dec 25, 2007, 12:36 PM

Post #17 of 23 (3294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Oscar, the tequilla distillery is still here. I understand their product is very good, although I haven't tried it. Of course, by law, they cannot call it Tequilla. It is called 100% Blue Agave. Here is some info I found: http://johnsmitchell.blogspot.com/...tequila-factory.html
Feliz Navidad, Dee

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Dec 25, 2007, 3:59 PM

Post #18 of 23 (3281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

For those who are not a Tequila fan, but like Vodka, I found that Ossa Negro was a very smooth Vodka made in MX for about 800ps for a big bottle (don't recomember the exact size but larger than a fifth, but it's not available in the states in the liquor stores I frequent (Darn).
Anyone else ever tried it ???
Getting older and still not down here.

Bloviator

Dec 26, 2007, 4:30 AM

Post #19 of 23 (3250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

I doubt that Patron is worth the price, which I believe to be a NoB price. There are lots of excellent tequilas here that one can purchase for considerably less. I know that Patron is an affectation for some NoB and they are willing to pay the price for snob appeal.

I'm aware that there are more expensive tequilas. However, awareness is the sum total of my knowledge. I will never pay the kinds of prices that they demand.

My point was that I don't remember Patron being better than several very good tequilas that I purchase for less. It has been my experience that one can get a very smooth and good tasting tequila reposada for $250-$300 per bottle. Jimador Anejo is in the same range and is quite good.

I have very plebian tastes and am quite satisfied by what I buy. I figure that much more expensive tequilas, etc. are for those to whom money means nothing.

Oscar2

Dec 26, 2007, 12:25 PM

Post #20 of 23 (3224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

At one time, there were over 100 tequila factories in the Mazatlan area, but apparently they were all closed by the Mexican government.

MazDee, this current blog/update sheds light on days gone by where indeed about 32 years ago (75’) a number of Tequila factories probably did exist in Maz. Years, like a fog bank, lift and drifts opening spaces of memories that remember one very dusty, dry road that stretched for miles over rutted ridges and hillsides strewn with old dry sagebrush, Joshua Trees, cactus and more. There was no sign of life, just desolation ridge after ridge until we reached a hilltop where in the bleak, hot summer sun, at a distance, like a mirage, seemingly growing out from the dirt and dust were scattered structures of life.

From this hilltop back then, I remember seeing a few scattered pollapas, adobe huts, goats, and farm animals blending into the earth. The outlining of paved roads, paint and church cathedrals were non-existent except for the hot sun having its way with everything and painting it with bristles filled with bleach. Back then it was a scratched existence like hundreds of unseen small villages far off the main paved Carretera, throughout Mexico where life was what it was. Yes, to me, this was a frontier.

These wild Canadians from the converted Greyhound bus hooped and hollered and with laughter and broad smiles we were all bent on adventure and having a blast. Somehow, we managed to find this prehistoric tequila factory thrown together by branched structures covered by dried palm thatch and pits dug into the earth for cactus storage. Various fire pits spewed smoke of profits to come. Like days of Spartacus, the ox tethered to a thick branch of a tree, which rotated a very large wheel like muela/stone that ground away the cactus juices of life the villagers depended on.

The villagers were happy to see us and with sparkle in their eyes and smiles to support it, they toured us with enticing smooth gold, which passed through our entrails and heated our spirits. We were smiles and a bunch of happy crazies back then. One thing for sure, the blazing, gorgeous orange-red fireball of a Mazatlan sunset still hangs over our master bedroom bathroom wall. When I tinkle, it winks back at me telling of good times gone by.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Dec 26, 2007, 12:32 PM)

robrt8

Jan 5, 2008, 8:02 PM

Post #21 of 23 (3143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Two thumbs up on the Oso Negro, Ron. "Black Bear." Curiously, it says it's imported AND Hecho en Mexico. One liter bottle for 80 pesos. I was terrified at the thought of paying so little, but I took your advice. It's very smooth, thanks.
My favorite tequila of the moment is Centenario Plata.

girdhar

Jan 29, 2008, 3:25 AM

Post #22 of 23 (3062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

Why should one run behind all these stuff .just enjoy .......cheeeers

donnameyer

Jan 30, 2008, 4:33 PM

Post #23 of 23 (3011 views)

Shortcut

Re: [girdhar] South Africa exporting Tequila to Mexico?

For those of you in San Miguel de Allende, there's a nice litle shop on Umaran, a block or two down from the Jardin, called "Tepotzquiles." They sell nothing but tequila and tequila items from Tepoztlan. You can get more than a dozen different flavored tequilas--including chile, mango and rompope flavors, tequila-infused coffee beans and tequila candies.

They offer free tastings, too. Nice place.

Donna
Donna
http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com
Click on "Best SMA Restaurants" to post your own restaurant reviews and recommendations.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4