Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Al

Aug 22, 2001, 2:19 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4630 views)

Shortcut

McAllie TX to Quintana Roo

Can't Post |
What is like driving a regular vehicle? If I stay close to the coast line is it pretty much flat? Do's and dont's is highly appreciate it.
Gracias

sermextr

Aug 22, 2001, 1:45 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4626 views)

Shortcut

McAllie TX to Quintana Roo

Can't Post |
Yep, it's pretty flat. Papantla has some moderate hills and the Tuxtlas are up a little but aren't much of a challenge. You can find a hill in Campeche if you look. I don't remember any others and none of them are steep.<p>You only have to go a little inland to find steep, twisty roads that get a lot of fog. Tamazunchale is my un-favorite town in Mexico because there is only one through road: it's two narrow lanes with cars parked in both lanes and trucks and buses going through.<p>I mostly go by RV, but it seems like hotel accommodations are plentiful. Nautla has a lot of little hotels on the beach.<p>Veracruz State has the worst roads in Mexico.<p>Remember to enjoy the trip as well as the destination. There are some neat places to see.<p>: What is like driving a regular vehicle? If I stay close to the coast line is it pretty much flat? Do's and dont's is highly appreciate it.
: Gracias<p>

Brad

Aug 26, 2001, 11:04 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4626 views)

Shortcut

McAllie TX to Quintana Roo- to Al

Can't Post |
Hey Al,<p>It sounds like you are more familiar with the roads as seen from an RVer's viewpoint, so I'll ask you this. I'm planning on an extended RV trip into mainland Mexico, and I don't know yet which route I'll take, but I've heard that the roads down along the Gulf coast area are pretty rough. Have you found that to be the case? If you had your choice of routes into Mexico, which would YOU choose? West coast, central highlands, or Gulf coast? I'll probably head down to the southern portion of the Pacific coast eventually, but again, no definites at this time.<p>Thanks, and happy trails,
Brad

sermextr

Aug 27, 2001, 8:41 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4626 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi, Brad,<p>No, I think the east coast is easy to drive, except that the roads in Veracruz state are in poor condition. It just means you have to drive carefully. The west coast is easy too, but not so interesting. There are a few beach places but they're all about the same and after the Caribbean beaches they aren't very exciting.<p>The interior is definitely more of a challenge. If your Rv is big, it's probably not a good idea. Otherwise, the interior is many times more interesting than the west coast.<p>An itinerary is posted in the messages at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/theseriousmexicotourist that gives detailed driving instructions to the most interesting and beautiful places in Mexico and to the campgrounds. It reduces the problem of maneuvering an RV in places you've never seen before where the signs tend to be unhelpful. However, the problem of vehicle size still applies--see the comments in the beginning of the itinerary.<p>The itinerary includes some city maps and is free to read and print.<p>Buen viaje,
sermextr<p>

Al

Oct 13, 2001, 8:13 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4627 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Are you kiddin'? Never done it but will venture out soon!<p>: Hey Al,<p>: It sounds like you are more familiar with the roads as seen from an RVer's viewpoint, so I'll ask you this. I'm planning on an extended RV trip into mainland Mexico, and I don't know yet which route I'll take, but I've heard that the roads down along the Gulf coast area are pretty rough. Have you found that to be the case? If you had your choice of routes into Mexico, which would YOU choose? West coast, central highlands, or Gulf coast? I'll probably head down to the southern portion of the Pacific coast eventually, but again, no definites at this time.<p>: Thanks, and happy trails,
: Brad<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4