Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Nov 12, 2007, 6:56 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3914 views)

Shortcut

Cabalgate Ruta de Cortés

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Amigos costeños!
I just had to tell you about the wonderful weekend I had when I accompanied 26 horsemen riding the "Route of Cortez" from Las Vigas to Cinco Palos on the slopes of the Cofre de Perote mountain. What wonderful weather and spectacular landscapes!
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

wendy devlin

Dec 22, 2007, 2:17 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3846 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Cabalgate Ruta de Cortés

OK...Jalapeño.

Did you actually ride the 'Cabalgate'? As in riding on horseback for the duration? And how many horas and what was the terrain like?

Only asking, because although I trail-ride, board horses etc. there's a part of me, thinking although a spirit might be strong, flesh is weak;)

And is it advisable for a person unconditioned to long rides to participate in such an event?

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 30, 2008, 9:05 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Cabalgate Ruta de Cortés

Wendy y amigos costeños:
Forgive me for not getting back with you a lot sooner, but things have been really busy in Xalapa. The "cabalgata" is a wonderful way to see the beautiful mountains of Veracruz, but you do need to have some experience horse riding and to have ridden fairly recently. The ride from the Normandia ranch belonging to Justo Fernández Avila to Valle Allegre was about 4 hours at an easy pace, then another 4 hour ride the next day from Valle Allegre to near Coatepec.
What I forgot to tell you is that I rode my mountain bike behind and sometimes between the horses going up the mountain and way in front on the way down!!! I have some really great pictures.
Well, got to get back to work.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

wendy devlin

Feb 1, 2008, 1:13 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3756 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Cabalgate Ruta de Cortés

No prob, Pepper!

When asking the question, was researching the cabalagata to Cristo Rey del Cubilete (Christ the King Shrine), one of Mexico's most important religious monuments, and said to to mark the geographic center of Mexico. The 65-foot statute is the destination of an annual cabalgata (pilgrimage) every January to celebrate the Epiphany, in which thousands of mostly horse-ridding pilgrims ride to the shrine.

Like described in this article in National Geographic.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0708/feature4/

Turns out, that we drove to the statue at the top of Cerro del Cubilete in my brother's company truck.

Impressive views. Unique and inspiring chapel.

However it's unlikely that you'll see interior photos as taking pictures of the chapel was not allowed.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4