First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Doriabar

Dec 22, 2007, 7:07 PM

Post #26 of 44 (3510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Mexican Drivers

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
Many Mexican drivers know how to drive very well. They just don't use that knowledge. You can blame the transito for that problem. We had a relative that lived in Reynosa and was a captain in the state police. He said the Mexican drivers crossing the border into the U.S. drove very good, but on their return to Mexico, they then result to old driving habits. We used to have a saying in the U.S., "If you don't enforce the laws, they won't obey the laws". This is so true here in Mexico. Some towns where the laws are enforced, you find good drivers and other towns here in Mexico (where the laws are not enforced), you find bad drivers. Most towns fall into the latter category.

Doriabar

Dec 22, 2007, 7:15 PM

Post #27 of 44 (3509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Mexican Drivers

I never get tired of reading about Mexican drivers, I guess everyone can relate. Speaking of "enforcing the traffic laws", it reminds me of something that a Mexican friend said to my husband the other day "make sure you put on your seat belt, because it is against the law not to wear one and you could be fined", and my husband replied "what about those 20 Mexican people riding in the back of the pick-up", to which he just shrugged his head.

robrt8

Dec 22, 2007, 8:48 PM

Post #28 of 44 (3496 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Mexican Drivers

John,
I lost this thread for a bit.
I think there's a cultural difference with the turn signal.
It should signal an intent, not a plea for space. If you use the left turn signal you should be about to be engaged in a leftward motion. Otherwise people may think you're inviting them to pass.

Esteban

Dec 23, 2007, 5:12 AM

Post #29 of 44 (3478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Mexican Drivers

I actually think driving in Mexico is more natural than driving on the big cross streets in Tucson where they drive 65 MPH and have one of the highest yellow light fatalities in the US. My son came down to visit in Mazatlan and as we were driving back from the airport, he asked me how I knew where to drive since there were no lines on the pavement. It's something that happens naturally I told him. Plus, if someone isn't following the rules, you can use the horn without having to think about whether they are comforting a 9mm pistol on their lap. We all just get along down here.

NEOhio1

Dec 23, 2007, 5:46 AM

Post #30 of 44 (3475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Doriabar] Mexican Drivers

Ever since our first visit here a few years back I have longed to ride standing up in the back of a pick-up truck going pretty fast....oh how that would smack in the face of all the rules I have heard and obeyed over a lifetime....good sense, prudent actions and foresight would all just fly right out of my being...and who knows what rules I would fail to follow after such an adventure in risktaking.....

which is probably why my other half forbids it.

And unfortunately in Guadalajara the periferico (outerbelt) has become only a poor memory of its former glory as a raceway...they've built over passes so it's not nearly as much fun.

Rolly

Dec 23, 2007, 5:54 AM

Post #31 of 44 (3475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Mexican Drivers

I, too, wonder why all the commotion about Mexican drivers. I don't see them as any worse than what I saw in the USA. I have never seen drivers in Mexico who come even close to what I lived with in Boston.

In fact, I see drivers here as a whole lot better than a particularly bad period I dodged through in Los Angeles some 25 or so years ago. That was when many refugees from SE Asia arrived. Some of them had come from driving water buffaloes in rice patties to driving the freeways of LA. There were a few really bad years until they learned to drive or died trying.

My only complaint is the abuse of the handicapped parking spaces. I can never go to the plaza in Lerdo because all the handicapped spaces are taken by scofflaws. As soon as I get my citizenship, I plan to go to the mayor's office and pound on his desk until he orders the police to ticket those scofflaw parkers.

Rolly Pirate

caldwelld

Dec 23, 2007, 7:57 AM

Post #32 of 44 (3463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Doriabar] Mexican Drivers

I Was depressed last night so I called Lifeline.

Got a call center in Mexico.

I told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck .

dondon

Judy in Ags

Dec 23, 2007, 3:11 PM

Post #33 of 44 (3418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Mexican Drivers

"Ever since our first visit here a few years back I have longed to ride standing up in the back of a pick-up truck going pretty fast....oh how that would smack in the face of all the rules I have heard and obeyed over a lifetime....good sense, prudent actions and foresight would all just fly right out of my being...and who knows what rules I would fail to follow after such an adventure in risktaking.....

which is probably why my other half forbids it."

This is a priceless statement. I love it!!!

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Dec 23, 2007, 4:59 PM

Post #34 of 44 (3396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Mexican Drivers

Would make ya feel like a kid again, wouldn't it......
Getting older and still not down here.

GueroPaz

Dec 24, 2007, 12:19 AM

Post #35 of 44 (3358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Mexican Drivers

I traveled in the back of so many pickups and stake trucks in Chiapas, I considered it normal. And if you have a ponytail or long hair, stand up front and poke your head over the cab as it plunges down the canyons and climbs up the other side. Whoopee!

sioux4noff

Dec 24, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post #36 of 44 (3313 views)

Shortcut

ridin' in the pickup

I had always wondered how the cops managed to ride so nicely in the back corner of the pickups.
Since my husband and I volunteer with Proteccion Civil, we go places with them a lot. So I have ridden in that back corner, and it is easier than I thought. Fun, too!
My favorite ride was the time we had 1 pickup, 4 people and a four-wheeler (quad) to go to an event. 3 of us rode in the front of the pickup and the 4th sat on the four-wheeler which was loaded into the back of the truck. We had tourists taking pictures!
On a serious and sad note, last weekend the Proteccion Civil crew answered a call of an overturned pickup. It was on a bridge and a person riding in the back of the truck was squashed between the truck and the top of the guardrail. She did not make it.
BTW, seatbelt laws apply only to the driver, not any passengers.

Bloviator

Dec 25, 2007, 6:24 AM

Post #37 of 44 (3280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Mexican Drivers

Dr. Mike. I suspect you haven't driven in Ajijic. Most cars here have lots of dents. The difference is that repair her is very inexpensive.

A few months ago, I reached the point of no return when my Jeep, the bumper car, had so many dents that it embarrassed even me. I took it to a hole in the wall repair shop and they repaired all four fenders, both bumpers, and several other dings for about $4,000 pesos. The cost was so expensive because they had to buy a rear light assembly from the local Jeep dealer for almost $2,000 pesos.

Some of the dents were my fault, some were the result of hidden obstructions, and some were magic. I would leave my car on the street downtown and the car dent fairy would magically provide a dent or two.

Bloviator

Dec 25, 2007, 6:29 AM

Post #38 of 44 (3279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] ridin' in the pickup

Last year we went to a parade in Tlaqepague. There was a team of police motorcycle riders. They stacked up to ten people on each motorcycle as they drove the parade route.

It made me realize why they don't try to stop the quad runners in our area that are driving way too fast and holding as many as six people.

Gringal

Dec 25, 2007, 7:59 AM

Post #39 of 44 (3264 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bloviator] Mexican Drivers

Our pickup is reaching that point. Which hole in the wall did you use, and did the Jeep look good when they were finished?
We live in the LCS parking area and can't believe how many minidents have appeared. There seem to be a number of ancient ladies still driving around who can barely see over the wheel and never learned to parallel park. I suspect these may be some of the "dent fairies".

drmike

Dec 25, 2007, 9:03 AM

Post #40 of 44 (3257 views)

Shortcut

Dick,

Actually, I have driven in Ajijic a few times (well, not me truthfully, but my wife actually drove). I was so busy screaming at her to watch out for other rambuctious drivers, that I failed to see what condition the other vehicles were in. So, I defer to your knowledge of drivers and vehicle condition in the Chapala area.

In the "quiet" Central Highlands, vehicles somehow seem to avoid each other, even the "evil white buses" that careen around "curvas peligroso".
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Bloviator

Dec 26, 2007, 4:37 AM

Post #41 of 44 (3217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Mexican Drivers

It's a little hard to describe, though easy to find. You go toward Joco and within a quarter of a mile of the curve where the fish restaurants are, you will see a bunch of cars sitting by the side of the road down a little berm on the lake side. That's the place. You will see that they are working on cars once you pull off and look down into their work area. I believe the maestro is named Javier, but I'm not sure.

If you need further help finding it, give me a call and I'll be glad to show you. 766-6119.

I also had the front of my Merc painted for about $600 pesos and when my passenger side rear view mirror was hit by the dent fairy and seriously smashed, they repaired it for about $350 pesos. I recommend them highly.

Gwynne

Dec 26, 2007, 7:40 AM

Post #42 of 44 (3196 views)

Shortcut

I agree that this guy is very good. Our pick-up had a pretty serious deep scrape along the lower door panel (a visit from the dent fairy's big brother?). Javier repaired it so well that when we took it back to the states to trade, the dealership didn't find the damage.
Don

Gringal

Dec 26, 2007, 8:28 AM

Post #43 of 44 (3190 views)

Shortcut

Bloviator and Gwynne: Thank you for the recommendation and directions. We'll probably be able to find it.
We have a good mechanic here for our Toyota at Riva's, but he ain't cheap on body work, so we've been putting that one off.

kwschopf

Dec 26, 2007, 8:39 PM

Post #44 of 44 (3141 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Mexican Drivers

Despite the fact that stop signs are merely advisory and many drivers use the far right emergency lane as a passing lane, I still find it less dangerous to drive in Mexico than in the US. The only instance of road rage we have encountered here came from an expensive pickup sporting state of Washington license plates. The florid-faced gringo driving the truck screamed at us and called us two anatomically mutually-exclusive names (you'll have to figure that one out for yourselves) when we merged in front of him. Mexicans are good defensive drivers, and we seldom see accidents. Of course, as Sue points out, when they do occur, especially at high speeds, they are likely to have sad consequences.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4