Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

visualjohn

Nov 9, 2007, 3:45 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5873 views)

Shortcut

Gas Lighting???

Can't Post | Private Reply

I have a question on gas fireplaces. We were planning on putting in a two sided gas fireplace. One side would be the living room with the other side being one end of the courtyard. While we are running the gas lines I thought of adding gas sconces for either side of the fireplace. We will be placing a dining table there and I thought the flicker of light would be quaint.

Anyone have any experience with gas lanterns/sconces?

Vendor recommendations? Thanks!

Visit my site, bookmark it and leave a comment!

http://www.johnandbrianbuildinmexico.com

mkdutch

Nov 30, 2007, 2:26 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [visualjohn] Gas Lighting???

A great design idea. However, because of the relatively high cost of both gas and electricity in Mexico, you might want to consider the use of either candle-lit or kerosene lantern fixtures instead. How often would they be used, and would the initial and ongoing cost be justified? You didn't say where the dining table would be located. If inside, candles would probably work fine, while kerosene/oil lamps might be more practical outside. Also, will you be running gas lines for a gas fireplace anyway? Then gas sconces may be more practical since the extra lines would be very short. Buena Suerte, Dutch

visualjohn

Dec 1, 2007, 4:54 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Gas Lighting???

Thanks Dutch !

....and yes, the sconces we are planning to have gas lit will be flanking either side of our courtyard fireplace....the gas lines will be there anyway. We were also planning on having electrical lines run thru the wall as well so we could convert back to electrical if we decide to at a later date.

Thanks for the advice....

Visit my site, bookmark it and leave a comment!

http://www.johnandbrianbuildinmexico.com

Judy in Ags

Dec 1, 2007, 8:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Gas Lighting???

Kerosene is not cheap here either! If you can even find it, that is. I know they have it at Home Depot. A lot of people we've talked don't even know what it is. Does it have another name in Spanish? It was widely used in Brazil, years ago, at least. We had a kerosene refrigerator and lanterns, of course. The word is the same as English (different pronunciation, of course, in Portuguese.

esperanza

Dec 2, 2007, 6:31 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5767 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Gas Lighting???

Kerosene is called petroleo. It's widely available.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Dec 2, 2007, 3:10 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Gas Lighting???

Hello,

Yes, Kerosene is called petroleo. But the quality can vary from real black to what we normally think of as Kerosene. The black petroleo leaves a lot of soot over everything.

Here in Jerez, many Mom and Pop stores have the black petroleo. To get the distilled kerosene we must go to a PEMEX station, and not all of them have it. I know of only one here in Jerez but perhaps there are other locations which I have not yet found.

Adiós. jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4