Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

D. Mahoney

Aug 25, 2001, 7:57 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3284 views)

Shortcut

Moving to SMA

Can't Post |
H&W will be driving to San Miguel de Allende in Oct/Nov to begin retirement. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is a good route - what is a bad route? All recommendations are appreciated - where to stay on the way down there, what to stop and see (time is all we have). Things to avoid - warnings? Tried to get a Trip-Tik from AAA but they say the only do that for US. Any idea how long a drive it is. I'm leaving from Macon, GA and was not sure what entry point to Mexico I should use. I was thinking Brownsville, TX because it looks like the closest - agree? Please let me have your input. Thanks.

tish

Sep 3, 2001, 11:17 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3287 views)

Shortcut

Moving to SMA

Can't Post |
Hi<p> I wasn;t aware of this forum until just now so did not respond to you earlier. I moved to San Miguel last November from California so most of my driving experience would not be relevant to you.<p>However, I would suggest you try AAA again. I received a triptik, guide books and maps all the way to San Miguel. They took a week to put it all together. <p>It is approximately 600 miles from Laredo to San Miguel. I don't know how far from Brownsville. I recommend the toll ways. A lot of people down here drive to the border in one day but I would recommend 2 days because other wise you will be driving in the dark and arriving in San Miguel exhausted. Some one on the forum said 100 miles in Mexico is like driving 150 miles in the States. <p>We stayed a night in Saltillo in kind of a moldy motel called I think Los Fuentes, right on Hwy 57 south of Saltillo. About $550 pesos a night and they accepted our cats.<p>I have since discovered on the Internet what appears to be a very nice place in Saltillo, the Hotel El Morillo, a former hacienda. Web site is http://www.elmorillo.com. Prices seem reasonable. If you stay there you can let me know what it is like.<p>Well, bien viaje and bienvenidos a San Miguel. You may email me if you have any other questions.<p>Best,<p>Tish Gallarda

Cynthia Mason

Sep 19, 2001, 11:32 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3288 views)

Shortcut

Moving to SMA

Can't Post |

: H&W will be driving to San Miguel de Allende in Oct/Nov to begin retirement. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is a good route - what is a bad route? All recommendations are appreciated - where to stay on the way down there, what to stop and see (time is all we have). Things to avoid - warnings? Tried to get a Trip-Tik from AAA but they say the only do that for US. Any idea how long a drive it is. I'm leaving from Macon, GA and was not sure what entry point to Mexico I should use. I was thinking Brownsville, TX because it looks like the closest - agree? Please let me have your input. Thanks.<p>You have 2 options - Interstate to Houston, San Antonio to Laredo. Then 4 lanes and toll roads to alsost SMA. Or Interstate to Houston and some 4lanes but not Intestate to Brownsville. Then to McAllen and Monterrey, Saltillo,etc. There is a shortct around Monterrey - Linares - I think. Be sure and get in the border town in time to get your insurance for your car. Nights and weekends can be iffy. Saltillo has a Holiday Inn Express but it has increased its price lately. Matehuala has a lovely motel - Las Palmas with nice dining room. You want a room on the right side - I am told. There is a candy factory in a rock building Kilometer 612- on the highway in Matehuala that has great sandwiches (tortas) and candy made of cajeta - (carmel)Servillanas. Nice restrooms !! Next to the Nissan place, Garcia's at Cienaga las Flores is known for its carne seco -(dried beef) and scrambled eggs. We drive from Laredo to SMA in about 7 hours. If you get off early in the AM it works very well.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4