Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 6:57 AM

Post #1 of 44 (5157 views)

Shortcut

bring everything or leave it behind?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning our move to the highlands for the next year or so. My question is: Is it better to move everything with us or sell most if it and bring on essentials? I know that appliances and electronics are suppose to be at least a year old and if we decide to move it all I need to start replacing some of those things now so they will be "used" when the time comes.
Any advice would be appreciated. Also, for you that moved it all, how did you do it and what company did you use? Did you find it less expensive to move instead of buying there?
thanks,
Debra

Rolly

Nov 4, 2007, 7:22 AM

Post #2 of 44 (5138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dalford] bring everything or leave it behind?

The appliances need be only six months old, not a year.

Appliances cost a lot more here, and there are not nearly as many models to choose from.

Look here for a lot of details about how to bring your household furnishings: http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm

Rolly Pirate

Georgia

Nov 4, 2007, 7:27 AM

Post #3 of 44 (5135 views)

Shortcut

We found it less expensive to move all our "stuff" than buy here. Electrical things are more expensive here. Much of the furniture is uncomfortable. Even Mexicans go to the US to purchase linens and bedding. Pillows generally resemble bricks with pillowcases. Ditto for the mattresses. These are generalizations. Yes, you can find furnishings more to your US taste, but you will pay more for them. One caveat: household appliances (stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers) that are manufactured here have a greater tolerance for voltage highs and lows than those in the US and are better purchased here.

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 7:43 AM

Post #4 of 44 (5131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] bring everything or leave it behind?

Georgia
Thanks, I never thought about the voltage surges. Wonder if a surge protector would solve that problem? Maybe one for each appliance and electronic. Anyone know?
Debra

Georgia

Nov 4, 2007, 7:45 AM

Post #5 of 44 (5128 views)

Shortcut

Depending on where you live, you need a hell of a lot more than a surge protector. They only work within certain tolerances. Actually, the biggest threat is low voltage. At one point we were only getting 60 volts. Burned out even the toughest appliances and we have a whole house voltage corrector. We finally bit the bullet and put in our own transformer. Expensive. Worth it.

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 8:04 AM

Post #6 of 44 (5121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] bring everything or leave it behind?

This I am certainly going to have to remember. Thanks

drmike

Nov 4, 2007, 8:16 AM

Post #7 of 44 (5114 views)

Shortcut

The man that works on our house recommended the Koblenz Professional regulator for our appliances. The company says it protects against low voltage, high voltage, spikes and lightening. It provides a $25,000 insurance policy for replacement on your appliances if it fails. Cost is about $45.00. We put one on all our appliances after a lightening strike friend all our electronis this past summer. We bought ours at WalMart in Toluca.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 8:53 AM

Post #8 of 44 (5097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] bring everything or leave it behind?

Thanks, that sounds very resonable. Knowing that you recently moved, did you move your stuff or buy when you got there? What movers did you use (if at all)?

jennifer rose

Nov 4, 2007, 9:37 AM

Post #9 of 44 (5082 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
There are two schools of thought on this topic: bring it all and bring nothing. I'm a proud alumna of the bring it all on down school. Of course, that depends upon your stuff and your style. There are some folks who keep on using old stuff, right down to having furniture reupholstered, and there are those who have the desire and ability to completely start from scratch.

Costco and Sears have far more selection than they did a decade ago, but everything comes at a cost much, much higher than similar goods would cost in the U.S. If I were to do it all over again, I'd do exactly what I did years ago: start stocking up on stuff years in advance of the move. Now my appliances have reached the replacement stage, and it's an expensive proposition. A side-by-side refrigerator with an ice maker goes for roughly 50% more in Mexico, even on sale, than a comparable model in the US. The same for a washer. And for a stainless steel gas grill.

Use that one-time opportunity to import your worldly effects duty-free.

Interview several moving companies. You're apt to find a wide variation among their estimates.

NEOhio1

Nov 4, 2007, 10:21 AM

Post #10 of 44 (5071 views)

Shortcut

Bring it all....

Like Georgia and Jennifer we brought it all.

We used a self-pack service where they dropped off the trailer, we loaded it over 4 days, and it was in Mexico before we were, but delivered two weeks after we arrived. Cost for the 28 foot tailer, Cleveland to Ajijic was around $10K. We brought all the tools, the 3 bunk scaffolding and rooms of furniture, that are spread up and down the Lake Chapala northshore on loan to those without a comfy couch, bed, etc.....I don't need it all or want it all in this house and loaning it out is better than storing it, it would be ruined in a storage locker for long. You can bring too much but we expected to have a second place as a rental by now, and be building eventually. Although those thoughts have changed.

I am pretty sure Georgia had a full service move which packed it and unpacked it about 4 years before us.

Why bring it all, because we like it all, its us, we are used to it, most of its been in the family since forever....if not mine then my husbands, the camelback couches, there are 3, have been recovered so many times I couldn't leave them behind on this great adventure. I can't wait to find the right room for them and dress them up in a vibrant fabric and maybe paint the legs...god forbid. I am also going to paint the interior of a 30s Baker china cabinet with bubble glass doors....probably bright tourquoise. These things remind me of my people, raising my girls, and being a young wife, a middle wife and a retired wife. They remind me of how excited my mother would have been to do this, and most of all I brought myself with me in the form of things that provide continuity in my thoughts and memories. As a young retiree at 50, I have literally decades ahead, and I want the new person I grow to be and the person I have been to coexist among the comfort we have been able to provide for ourselves. We are also mindful that as we age we wanted our past around us, we didn't want to acquire all new that no one else in our world had experienced living with but the two of us. When I am old and ailing I want to be looking at the dresser front I have seen thru all my life and have it trigger many lost thoughts and memories.

Does the stuff fit in here, well, yes and no, its me that has trouble figuring out what to do and colors because the quality of light is so different and I want my environment to be different but its so new its hard to choose. Of course I've looked at the same things all my life, so that impedes changing too much, but when it inspiration comes I will really know it and embrace it. That will be fun! Of the frou-frou things, china, crystal, etc... I brought it all, and just about everyone I know who sold all that type of stuff wishes they had kept it. Not that anything is fancy, but the realization is that now you might actually use it, just because you have it and you finally have the time to fuss with tablesetting and hand washing and polishing. Its one of those things that if you had it and enjoyed it, you will miss it, if you didn't it won't matter to you.

Just in 4 years there are many, many options in this area for furniture. Couches, chairs etc... are more comfortable and readily available, Sears even carries Pier One wicker stuff - at a premium, but still its here - even Ethan Allan can be ordered thru their DF store...in fact you can order it from your US home and it gets delivered to DF and then onto you....they figure it all out. So the limitations of a decade ago are no longer.

Also the limitation of a one time deal on your FM3 is also showing some flexibility......but if you decide not to bring stuff,make sure only one of you gets the initial FM3, so the person holding the FMT can bring in a households worth at a later date when getting their own FM3.

Gringal

Nov 4, 2007, 11:26 AM

Post #11 of 44 (5058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] bring everything or leave it behind?

The third option, which we adopted, is "bring some of it".

Jennifer made some good points on bringing the "memories". We did a variation on that: brought the things we knew we couldn't replace and got rid of all the stuff that tends to accumulate. This is an opportunity for a really good sorting.

The appliance issue is debatable. We had no choice since our NOB home sold on condition of leaving the appliances. We did some serious shopping here and found some very nice appliances at good prices. We didn't feel we needed the giant family size side by side fridge any longer and settled for a smaller model which is causing us to be more disciplined in our food shopping mode. Now we are throwing out fewer frozen items that get out of date and freezer burned. We found basic models of washer and dryer at what seemed to be about U.S. prices. The thing we noticed about pricing here is that the basic models are decently priced, but as soon as the bells and whistles are added, the price escalates way more than it did NOB.

There is also the price of moving those heavy appliances to be considered.

Books are one of those things that need to be thought of in terms of the cost per pound of moving them, divided by the sentimental value of keeping them and multiplied by the space they take up,. We left most of ours behind. Like clothing - if you haven't used in in a few years, you probably don't need to move it.

Shopping for new furniture and accessories can be fun, up to the point that you realize you liked your old stuff better. So: the answer is, as always, "it depends".

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 11:52 AM

Post #12 of 44 (5054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] bring everything or leave it behind?

Thank all of you for your ideas and replies! I have an Amish cherry dining room suite that I would like to bring along with sofa and mattress sets. Do I need to worry about termites in the highlands? I read that they are a problem on the coast. Again, thanks for all your input.
Debra

Gringal

Nov 4, 2007, 1:08 PM

Post #13 of 44 (5042 views)

Shortcut

Termites? We got termites. They are Mexican termites with sombreros and pistolas. They are hungry ones, too.
Keep your eyes peeled for the little devils.

Glenn

Nov 4, 2007, 1:50 PM

Post #14 of 44 (5034 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] bring everything or leave it behind?

Gringal
So, what do you do about your wood furniture? Do you have furniture made of special woods? Are they in every area?
Debra

Gringal

Nov 4, 2007, 2:17 PM

Post #15 of 44 (5026 views)

Shortcut

There are sprays available for when you see the little speckled evidence that the critters are around. This has worked for me. They list termites on the label when it's lethal to them. I think I got mine at Home Depot.

A friend of mine bought a new home in a Lake Chapala area tract. Termites were already in the wood that was used in her bathroom and closets, so you never know.

mazgordon

Nov 4, 2007, 6:00 PM

Post #16 of 44 (4994 views)

Shortcut

Major appliances bought here will be under warranty here.

ˇEchar todo la carne al asador!

PeggyS

Nov 5, 2007, 12:24 AM

Post #17 of 44 (4953 views)

Shortcut

At our home in Chula Vista, we had loads of scorpions and termites, but when we moved into Ajijic village (above the carretara) we had none. A lot depends on whether you have vacant lots nearby.

More important to me were the mattress sets. No box springs were available when I tried to buy them, just deep mattresses. The queen-size mattress already in our home weighed slightly less than my car, and I'm not kidding. Please do bring your mattress sets down with you.

Bloviator

Nov 5, 2007, 5:25 AM

Post #18 of 44 (4942 views)

Shortcut

We did this also, brought some. We gave our kids everything they wanted and gave lots of stuff to charity thrift shops. Then we had a garage sale. Then we gave the remainder to other thrift shops. We had Strom (Before Strom White) move the rest. We had their minimum load 12x8x8 I think.

I wish now that we had kept a storage space for some valuable stuff that was marginal. For example I sold my folding ladder, worth about $300 here for $20. With bouganvillas, etc. we need a tall ladder. We could have brought that down later, in a carload - of course, we go north to San Diego often with our car. If you are coming from Alaska, this is probably not good advice.

thriftqueen

Nov 5, 2007, 8:29 AM

Post #19 of 44 (4914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] bring everything or leave it behind?

One can buy "good" mattresses in Mexico. Many stores carry good mattresses. Re: box spring, when one thinks about it, exactly what part does a box spring play? We took a page from our RV. RV's do not use a "box spring". We chose not to have a box spring. We had a local carpenter build a box with a heavy plywood top with a hinged cover for a great storage area underneath. Our bed is very comfortable and we haven't been sorry for our decision. Our guest room has the standard boxed set and we talk of having it converted. Another benefit, no dusty underside to clean. I have noticed they now are selling pillowtop mattresses in the better furniture stores.

Glenn

Nov 5, 2007, 10:21 AM

Post #20 of 44 (4885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] bring everything or leave it behind?

Thanks so very much for all of your input. It has helped us make a decision of what to do and I don't have to think about it again (or at least right now)
Debra

NEOhio1

Nov 5, 2007, 10:43 AM

Post #21 of 44 (4879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] bring everything or leave it behind?

In addition to bringing what we wanted we also left marginal items in a POD stored in a warehouse. We have a young adult who we expected to move into an apartment within a couple months of our move, so the storage was odds and ends of furniture and household goods she might use, and the pieces parts for an entire 1961 TR-3 without body or chassis. We recently returned north to clear that stuff out and move the TR3 and some "keeper" stuff into a smaller on the ground storage unit. The young adult doesn't have any intention of apartment living anytime soon, so that stuff just wasn't cost effective to store indefinitely. The TR3 is going onto EBay soon because after 20 years of storing the interest is not there to put it back together.

The three bank of scaffolding we brought has been the most used item off the truck. Several women have refused to allow me to offer it for their construction projects because as they say " I told him to sell it at the garage sale and we got about $100 and have needed it from day one, if he knows your husband got to bring his I will never hear the end of it." Bring those tools etc.. and ladders, if you are used to having access to them you will miss them a lot.

I gave all the books away and kept just those with really interesting and timeless topics. All the garden books went because they dont have anything to tell me about here and thus would be useless. I did bring the recent two years worth of best sellers and book list tittles to give to LCS, and did that right away. Current reading stock is a big thing with me and I just do not understand who is choosing the obscure titles that LCS says is their NEW selection...the stuff stinks and there'd be better reading found on the $2.98 stack in the back of any Borders.

Each daughter has two very large plastic sealable tubs with all their stuff in it and it was all sent to each of them - they protested that I should keep it, but I said "out of my life or in the trash, you choose" that part was probably the hardest to do and caused some hurt feelings. I just don't know what they expected, they have homes with basements and attics, and its not my stuff and the realization that mom just didn't care about the placemat made in 2nd grade for Mothers Day was a real hard thing for them to get over. For heaven's sake the thing had been in the box since the late 80s.

Anyway, knick-knack type stuff was the hardest because those represented vacations, family things (clocks, pictures, bronze shoes of people long gone etc...) so we brought most of it since it fit in 3 or 4 boxes, I wasn't particularly careful packing it in hopes of some natural attrition by breakage and the rest languishes in old lawyer glass front bookcases because the dust here is just too much to have any of it sitting around.

Family photos were the worst, nobody really looks at them anymore and there were thousands. We always kept some in a big brass bowl on the coffee table in the family room and plan to do that again, but the rest are being cataloged and sent off to a company in California who will scan them all, a shoebox worth for about $100 US, and then I can dump them. We are doing that even with most of the old family photos back to the turn of the century, those will go to a sister or two without my asking them if they want them, because they will say no., as they have before. I found the service in a NYT article.

We like a hard bed so the platform is good for us, but the idea of having one made for storage purposes is terrific. We brought a queen mattress and upholstered headboard farmed it out to a friends guest room. Lucky for us the furniture in our house here was minimal and not very good, and what had been good quality had been banged around alot so it looked crappy. Most of it has been sold or sent on to charity and the maid had the pick of some.

Esperanza will fall over when she finds out that I am taking the mahogany dining chairs and table to the auto painter to be sprayed a nice color, but then this stuff has been around me forever, and it deserves to be bright and shiny in its new life here. I am however only painting the interior of the china cabinet. By the way, his charge is $150 pesos per chair and $400 for the table.

(This post was edited by NEOhio1 on Nov 5, 2007, 10:46 AM)

Glenn

Nov 5, 2007, 10:53 AM

Post #22 of 44 (4875 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] bring everything or leave it behind?

The auto painter is an exceptional idea. We were talking about taking or not taking an old bedroom suite for a spare room. At first we thought no, then I thought maybe I could paint it a bright color and make a cute room. My daughter always tells me I should have been a Mexican because I like colors! Now I'm gonna be. But I sure want to know how the auto painting goes. That will be what I do if it goes well. Since I've never painted furniture before, how could it be worse?!

I do have a hide-a-bed sofa that is really comfy but it needs reupholstering. Do you think it would be better (and cheaper) done here or just have it done there?

Debra

Rolly

Nov 5, 2007, 11:09 AM

Post #23 of 44 (4872 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I do have a hide-a-bed sofa that is really comfy but it needs reupholstering. Do you think it would be better (and cheaper) done here or just have it done there?

Cheaper here. Service type activities are always cheaper in Mexico.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Nov 5, 2007, 11:15 AM

Post #24 of 44 (4870 views)

Shortcut

<picks self up after falling off chair...painted mahogany!>

Re mattresses: about three years ago I purchased, right here in Mexico, the best mattress (and box spring) I've ever slept on. I can't recommend the brand highly enough. The brand is WENDY, made in Guadalajara, and the product is absolutely and unequivocally terrific. The manufacturer makes several quality levels, so be sure to lie down on your choice of Wendy mattress before you buy. The model I bought is called Anter; it's a queen size double pillow top, not too hard, not too soft. Mattress and box spring cost just over $6,000 pesos in 2004 and came with a 10-year guarantee.

The Wendy brand is sold all over Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

NEOhio1

Nov 5, 2007, 11:18 AM

Post #25 of 44 (4869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] bring everything or leave it behind?

But shop the sales at your home city for the upholstery fabric. And yes you can bring it, I did. It was on a roll inside an area carpet that was rolled and on the outside was left over upholstery from an existing couch that was on the load. Fabric here is expensive. I recently order Sunbrella fabric, 40 yards at 56 inches wide for about $400 US that was quoted here at over $900. That $400 included shipping to a friends in Texas were I picked it up. She had offered to bring it but I had to return for a car issue anyway. I have decided to do the same for wicker Pier One chairs for the terraza because I just don't find what I want in Guad where the price has been easily twice what I want to apy forit. So I made contact with the Pier One in San Antonio area, told them what I wanted and the SALE price i was willing to pay and the friend will pick them up when they are on sale up there. Also there is a way to have them sent with a Mexican shipper, which with cost savings on these chairs inparticular would still result in a lower price than settling for what I have found in Guad.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4