Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

ms mac

Oct 27, 2007, 2:13 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1795 views)

Shortcut

Flying to Mexico with Cats

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know this has been posted ad nauseum but the rules seem to change often. If we move to Mexico, would it be possible to bring in two old cats with us? They are 11 and 12 years old. We would probably move in June or July. Thanks.
ms mac

bournemouth

Oct 27, 2007, 2:30 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Flying to Mexico with Cats

No problems bringing your cats to Mexico - you need the international health certificate signed within 72 hours - BUT - your problem comes with flying at the time of the year you mention. It is usually too hot at that time for airlines to accept pets. You need to check with whichever airline you are thinking of using.

ms mac

Oct 27, 2007, 2:45 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Flying to Mexico with Cats

Thanks, Bournemouth, I wouldn't want to endanger them. Maybe I could just leave them with a family member to put them on board when it got cooler.
ms mac

Yucatanman

Nov 21, 2007, 1:37 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1727 views)

Shortcut

We are also trying to figure out how to get the cats there. We have found that certain airlines will let you bring your cat in the cabin with you. Check the airlines, they have a carrying case requirement and size etc. I don't think I would put my cats in the cargo hold anyway.

For that reason, and that we will be in Mexico at least a year, we are thinking of driving down with the cats, as we will need a vehicle here anyway. Besides it's cheaper for two humans and two cats, $100 USD each on Mexicana, to drive down, we're driving from Texas to Merida in Aug of 08. Good Luck

kwschopf

Nov 23, 2007, 4:06 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1696 views)

Shortcut

Ms Mac, we flew to Mexico with our cats when we made our permanent move a year and 1/2 ago. We flew on Alaska Airlines and they allowed the cats to ride with us in the cabin...the carrier must fit under the seat and only two pets are allowed each flight, so you will need to book by telephone and talk to an agent to secure your reservation. Be prepared to remove the cats from the carrier when you go through security in the US - if either or both of your cats is scared and might wrestle free and run away (we had visions of one cat taking up permanent residence in the airport), they should have a small private room where the security person can search the carrier. It cost $50 per cat, and my husband even bought one extra seat so we would not inconvenience anyone. We flew from Portland to Puerto Vallarta and changed planes in Denver.

When we arrived, the paperwork (Int. Health Certificate) was inspected very carefully, and even though we got a green light at customs, they wanted to thoroughly inspect the carriers.

The cats did great - they were pretty scared, but not a peep out of them. They were happy to get out (we brought one of those cardboard "instant" cat boxes in the suitcase and they surely were in a hurry to use it.) One of the cats is geriatric (13) and she loves it here in sunny Mexico. Buena suerte! Karen

Gayla

Nov 26, 2007, 9:58 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1649 views)

Shortcut

Msmac, go to this link and scroll to the bottom http://mexconnected.com/...iew_expanded;#113827 , I just did quite a long post on flying into Mexico with cats. It's not hard and your cats should do just fine. I have flown with and shipped cats a lot on Alaska Airlines and can not speak highly enough of their service. They're great. Continental is also very good with animals. At 11 and 12 your cats should come through it just fine. Make sure your paperwork, which your vet will have, is in order and you shouldn't have a problem.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4