Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

stina

Oct 18, 2007, 6:33 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6208 views)

Shortcut

Whitewash For Exterior Walls

Can't Post | Private Reply
Howdy:

My wife and I just bought a 70-year old house in GDLR. It needs A LOT of work so expect quite a few posts from us on this forum in the coming months (years?).

The rear courtyard is exposed to the elements and the stucco covering the adobe walls is coming down in large sheets. Our plan is to strip it back down to the adobe, re-stucco three of the walls, and leave the fourth "un-stuccoed" (we like the rough and rustic look of the exposed stucco). I have a few questions:

-Any thoughts on general process? Should we (or ask our stucco-person) to apply some sort of sealant to the adobe before applying the stucco? Or should we apply the sealant AFTER the stucco? Or go sealant-free.

-Regarding paint - We love the look of whitewash but is it suitable for walls that will be exposed to rain. I've read various posts here (pro- and -con) on whitewash but nothing specifically about exterior use. My primary concern is the structural integrity of the walls over the long haul.

-Regarding the wall that we hope to leave stucco- and whitewash-free - are we just asking for trouble here? I'm imagining that without any protection, this is going to be a sponge. Are there some sorts of sealants that might keep the rain from washing away our wall like a sand castle?

Rolly

Oct 18, 2007, 8:45 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stina] Whitewash For Exterior Walls

Generally, adobe is not sealed before the stucco is applied. Your stucco guy will know what works best in your area.

Whitewash is a good sealed/primer for the stucco. In dry climates, like where I live on the desert, whitewash without a paint cover will last about 5 years before it needs to be renewed. In a damp climate, it may last only one year. Again, the local folks can give you experienced advice for your area.

Unsealed/unpainted stucco is not water proof. It is fairly common here on the desert, but in wet areas it invites mold and other undesirable features. There are clear sealants for stucco. My limited experience with one product was not satisfactory. In the long run, nothing beats paint.

There is more information here: http://rollybrook.com/building_directory.htm

Rolly Pirate

drmike

Oct 19, 2007, 11:55 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Whitewash For Exterior Walls

We live in Toluca (Villa Victoria) at 8,200 ft altitude. Our area has an extremely long rainy season along with cool temperatures. Our house is on a lake and has stucco, adobe, red brick and rock/cement walls. The adobe on the outside walls is covered with unsealed stucco and all the rock and brick walls are sealed with a varnish looking sealant.
Some of the interior walls have wood shingles over the stucco and adobe walls. We are in the process of have the wood removed and either keep the adobe look, or having the walls re-"stuccoed". I placed that in parentheses because our construction efje uses concrete that he throws on the wall and then uses boards to smooth it over several days. I do not know if it is "stucco" or not.

Bottom line, we have stucco that is unsealed and rock and brick that is sealed here in the wet Central Highlands. I hope this helps some for your decision.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Rolly

Oct 19, 2007, 12:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (6177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Whitewash For Exterior Walls

Yes, Mike, that is stucco. Stucco is one of the many forms of concrete. Look here for more details: http://rollybrook.com/building-materails.htm Scroll down the page a bit.

Rolly Pirate

stina

Oct 20, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #5 of 9 (6155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Whitewash For Exterior Walls

Thanks a lot. Tremendously helpful.

I think that we'll re-stucco and whitewash three of the walls and leave the 4rth with the raw adobe and seal it. If, after a year (and the rainy season), we have problems with moisture leaching through the wall or deterioration of the adobe, we'll apply stucco over the sealer and paint over the whitewash.

Do any of you foresee a problem with the stucco adhering to to the sealed adobe?

Another question, how about using a dye in the stucco? Has anyone tried this? Essentially, we're trying to create a color that has some depth and warmth to it.

For those of you interested, here are some photos of the house: http://www.kodakgallery.com/...3Dfromshare&Ux=0

We'll be firing up a photoblog to track our progress. We have our work cut out for us.

Rolly

Oct 20, 2007, 6:35 AM

Post #6 of 9 (6151 views)

Shortcut

You can put a dye in the stucco mix, BUT since the stucco is made in batches, it is going to be very difficult (impossible?) to get exactly the same color in each batch.

Rolly Pirate

beatricemor

Oct 21, 2007, 8:39 AM

Post #7 of 9 (6126 views)

Shortcut

INAH told us to use the Comex and others paint for cement for the outside. Our painter also colors stucco with various things like clay and other type of dirt the the way it was done many years ago. He specialize in restoring churches and old buildings and also uses nopal as a sealer with the owners that want to duplicate the old ways and looks.
The problem with whitewash for the outside is that it needs to be redone more often in rainy areas and you cannot cover grafiti. You have to redo the whole wall as you cannot duplicate the color and any patching will show through for ever.
We used lime and paint in the interior of the house; getting the color you want can be tricky as the color changes totally from wet to dry. We had the inside done in a light capuchino color , it was beautiful for a day and totally white when it dried, we had to redo it.
The beauty of this type of technique is that it gives you the original deslavado look as the color varies according to the brush strokes and the texture of the material uderneath.
Your painter and stucco guy should be able to tell you what to do about the adobe treatment. We received a lot of information in Chiapas from INAH. They redo old houses and monuments and they may want to share that information with you if you are not comfortable with the suggestions from the artisans you are using.
In San Cristobal we needed a permit from them and although they had some restrictions that drove me a little crazy they were very helpful regarding the restoration of the house.

(This post was edited by beatricemor on Oct 21, 2007, 9:04 AM)

Rolly

Oct 21, 2007, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beatricemor] Whitewash For Exterior Walls

http://www.inah.gob.mx/

From Wikipedia:

The National Institute of Anthropology and History (Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH)) is a federal bureau established in 1939 to guarantee the research, preservation, protection, and promotion of the prehistoric, archeological, anthropological, and heritage of Mexico. Its creation has played a key role in preserving the Mexican cultural heritage.

Currently, the INAH carries out its work through a Technical Secretariat which supervises the performance of its main duties and whose tasks are distributed among its seven National Coordination Offices and 31 Regional Centers throughout the states of the Mexican republic.

This bureau is responsible for the over 110,000 historical monuments, built between the 16th and 19th centuries, and for 29,000 of Mexico's estimated 200,000 pre-Columbian archeological zones found throughout the country. One hundred and fifty of the archeological sites are open to the public.

The INAH also supervises over a hundred museums. These are found across the country and are categorized according to the extension and quality of their collections, geographical locations, and number of visitors.

Rolly Pirate

robrt8

Oct 21, 2007, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 9 (6100 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the photos. You do have quite a major piece of work there. I'm not an expert, but I would be careful about sealing the adobe. Trapped moisture could be a problem down the road.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4