Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

RavnMK

Oct 15, 2007, 11:09 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6845 views)

Shortcut

Hibiscus - Beetle Invasion

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a long wall with hibiscus plants. For a couple of years they were fine. This year I have had a horrendous invasion of beetles that are eating all my flowers. I have tried everything I can to spray on them and they sometimes get better for a few days then a new crop of flowers and huge crop of beetles emerges. They are kind of gold and black horizontal stripes and look a little bit like the Japanese beetles I knew as a child. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them. I do have a photo but can't seem to attach it.
Ravn MK

drmike

Oct 19, 2007, 11:58 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RavnMK] Hibiscus - Beetle Invasion

One organic way of controlling these perhaps would be to gather a handfull of the beetles and place them in blender along with some water. Blend well. Use the solution to spray the plants and often it will take care of the problem. When we lived in the north Georgia mountains many years ago I grew herbs and edible heirloom plants. I used this technique from "Organic Gardening" magazine and it worked well for me.

Good luck.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

esperanza

Oct 19, 2007, 2:14 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6794 views)

Shortcut

If what you have are beetles called jumiles, you can make a salsa of them:

Mezcle el ajo, la cebolla y los chiles. Muela con el cilantro y los jumiles. Añada los aguacates, machacando con cuchara de madera, para evitar que se manchen.

Nota: Los jumiles, pequeños animales que aportaban al organismo una gran cantidad de proteínas.

Ingredientes: 2 dientes de ajo picado, 1 cebolla mediana picada, 2 chiles serranos sin semillas, 2 1/2 cdas de hojas de cilantro fresco y picado, 3 aguacates grandes sin cáscara y deshuesados, 1/2 taza de jumiles tostados, sal al gusto.

Ingredients:
2 cloves of garlic, minced. One medium onion, minced. 2 chiles serrano without the seeds. 2 1/2 Tablespoons of cilantro leaves, minced. Three large avocados, peeled and stone removed. 1/2 Cup jumiles, toasted while alive. Salt to taste.

Mix garlic, onion, and chiles. Grind the cilantro with the jumiles in a molcajete. Add the avocados, mashing them with a wooden spoon so that they don't discolor.

Jumiles are little animals that offer a great deal of protein.

Provecho!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 19, 2007, 2:17 PM)

RavnMK

Oct 19, 2007, 2:19 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Hibiscus - Beetle Invasion

YUUUUUUK! I guess that's one way. But it would be tough to catch the little guys - they fly like crazy. Maybe I'll make my salsa sans jumiles. But thanks anyway. (I did see lots of folks eating toasted grasshoppers in Oaxaca).
Ravn

esperanza

Oct 20, 2007, 7:56 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6767 views)

Shortcut

Catching the beetles in your garden isn't nearly as hard as keeping them in the skillet while they toast.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

NEOhio1

Oct 21, 2007, 1:33 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6740 views)

Shortcut

That was a good grin....

girdhar

Jan 17, 2008, 10:41 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6678 views)

Shortcut

I think you have provided a very good procedure to control, these beetle.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4