Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

robrt8

Oct 14, 2007, 1:52 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2947 views)

Shortcut

Adding a Second Story Question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi All,
I'm in the planning stage of adding another story to my casita. I saw on Rolly's site that a foam wall can be built over a story without a cadena underneath. I'm wondering if a full bath can be built in the new room created by such a wall, with the weight of a tub, toilet, etc.
Thanks

Rolly

Oct 14, 2007, 3:20 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Adding a Second Story Question

Robert, I'm not sure I understand your question. What is under the proposed bathroom? Where is the bathtub in relation to beams and columns below. The tub itself is not a problem, but the water in the tub can be pretty heavy.

The nature of the walls below is not very important; what counts are the beams and columns supporting the roof where you will build.

How are you going to hide the new plumbing? Dropped ceiling in the room below? That's what we did on our remodel job. Have you solved the problem of routing the 4" waste pipe to the sewer? Often a big headache.

Give us a few more details, so we can offer useful advice.

Rolly Pirate

robrt8

Oct 15, 2007, 9:31 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Adding a Second Story Question

Thanks Rolly. I have a 16' x 14' kitchen below. I'd like to, if I can, divide the space above and use the remaining space as an office or part of an adjoining bedroom. The kitchen below has a very high ceiling, so I'm hoping I can do what you did on your site for the drain. I will use an architect soon, but I'd like to do some drawings & see the possibilities.
If I created a 7' x 14' bathroom with one of the walls being foam, would the added weight of a bathroom be too much? The four walls of the kitchen below are topped with cadenas.
Thanks for mentioning the 4" drain. I was assuming I could tap into the kitchen drain, but that won't be enough.

Rolly

Oct 15, 2007, 10:45 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Adding a Second Story Question

That should be fine, but have your architect/engineer check the roof construction to be sure the weight of the bathtub full of water is OK.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4