Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

ekammin

Oct 12, 2007, 9:56 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2343 views)

Shortcut

Cost of furniture in Mazatlan

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am trying to get some idea of the cost of buying furniture for an apartment in Mazatlan. The apartment is not furnished, so I will probably need -

a bed (large)
bedroom dresser and chest
night tables
sofa
coffee table
living room chair
shelves (for TV, etc.)
kitchen table and chairs
appliances (fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer)

I noticed a website for one store on Rio San Lorenzo "Rusticos Tonala" that seems to have a large selection of rustic-style furniture, but, for some reason, they do not include any of their prices. Can anyone give me an estimate of what these things would cost, or where I could go to find out?

Marlene / Moderator

Oct 12, 2007, 12:46 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2334 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Cost of furniture in Mazatlan

I would recommend paying them a personal visit, since you may be able to arrange a better price when buying a larger quantity of furniture. We have found them to be reasonably priced and deliver when they say the will. The cost depends on the sizes of various items and how they are upholstered. For a rental apartment this kind of sturdy furniture is a good idea.

ncferret

Oct 13, 2007, 9:32 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2321 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Cost of furniture in Mazatlan

Depending on style and quality, you should expect to pay between 4 and $5,000 USD for the items you mentioned above (including a mattress and box spring for the bed). We just furnished a house a year ago, so I know the prices of the items you mentioned and believe me, we shopped for the best prices.

Actually, a good rule of thumb is that whatever you would expect to pay in the US for appliances, you can expect to pay that amount PLUS 15-25%. For furniture, the prices are roughly the same, but the selection in Mazatlan is not as you would find in a similar size US city - not even close. Good quality and prices can be found in Guadalajara, but that's another whole topic.

Used furniture is a great option if you're lucky enough to find someone selling their things. There really aren't used furniture stores like in the US.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4