Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 5, 2001, 1:15 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3328 views)

Shortcut

Michoacan Hwy 37 from Hwy 15D to Patzcuaro/Uruapan

Can't Post |
Driving east from Guadalajara on the cuata (15D? - my Guia Roji atlas has pretty small type), which route makes more sense for getting to Patzcuaro or Uruapan?<p>A1. Stay on the cuata to Morelia, skirt around Morelia, then backtrack (on Hwy 120?) to Patzcuaro<p>or<p>A2. Come off the cuata at Hwy 37 south then 15 east to Quiroga and south to Patzcuaro?<p>or<p>B1. Come off of the cuata at Hwy 37 south if going to Uruapan?<p>

jennifer rose

Sep 5, 2001, 6:04 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3331 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
If your destination is Uruapan, then taking 37 South from the cuota's not a bad idea. But it's not worth it if you're going to backtrack to Patzcuaro. However, 37 is 2-lane blacktop with some gorgeous scenery and a lot of truck traffic.<p>Backtracking east to Quiroga on old 15 (your plan A2) is bone-headed....unless you really like sniffing the fumes of truck traffic on a winding, 2-lane blacktop where you can't even pass at 15 mph.<p>The only logical route is your first one....taking the cuota to Morelia, and then the divided highway to Patzcuaro. Somewhat longer, but you'll make better time and have safer road conditions.<p>Getting mighty fancy, aren't you, Ernie? Throwing out those highway numbers instead of "the road to Patzcuaro?"

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 5, 2001, 10:41 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3329 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Jennifer wrote:
"Backtracking east to Quiroga on old 15 (your plan A2) is bone-headed....unless you really like sniffing the fumes of truck traffic on a winding, 2-lane blacktop where you can't even pass at 15 mph."<p>I've already tried that on Hwy 200 from Cerro de Ortega to La Mira. I'm interested in a new experience this time.<p>"The only logical route is your first one....taking the cuota to Morelia, and then the divided highway to Patzcuaro. Somewhat longer, but you'll make better time and have safer road conditions."<p>Thanks for the confirmation. I know those non-cuatas can look inviting, but I also know that some of them look a lot better on a map than on the ground.<p>"Getting mighty fancy, aren't you, Ernie? Throwing out those highway numbers instead of 'the road to Patzcuaro'?"<p>As the day of departure gets closer, I'm spending more time with my Guia Roji. :) But I think I'll buy a magnifying glass today.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4