Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Marlene

Sep 12, 2001, 5:25 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3509 views)

Shortcut

Renting a Room

Can't Post |
I have another question....I have found a room to rent on the net in San Miguel and they want me to send a check to their lawyer in NY for the total amount for the month. Is this normal? I am not comfortable with this arrangement and told them so. What have others done???? Should I wait until I get there????HELP! Thanks so much.

jennifer rose

Sep 12, 2001, 8:11 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3506 views)

Shortcut

Renting a Room

Can't Post |
While I can appreciate that you haven't personally inspected the prospective room rental, if I were the landlord, I sure wouldn't hold a room open pending a tenant's arrival with the check. Remember, landlords harbor similar doubts about tenants.<p>How much is the rent, anyway?

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 12, 2001, 9:51 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3504 views)

Shortcut

Renting a Room

Can't Post |
We rent our house in Troncones for vacations. We require 50% deposit sent to a Canadian address. We collect the balance upon arrival at Zihuatanejo.<p>I've deviated from this twice. Both times the guests who reserved did not show up to meet with our property manager in Zihuatanejo. I never heard from them again. I have no idea if they even went to Zihuatanejo.

judy in minnesota

Sep 15, 2001, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3507 views)

Shortcut

Renting a Room

Can't Post |
This is very very common. Most of the condos that I rent out for my friends require at least 50% down and total payment 60 days before arrival. Christmas and Easter are 100% at time of booking...Most require that I wire directly to their bank account...and a no-show is a no-show. Even my apartment that I rent each winter requires me to pay my total stay up front...wiring the total when I know my exact dates. I own a fishing resort and I find that if my deposit is high, people will show up. If it is just a small amount they will just change their minds and not even care about the money. And just at Labor Day I had a cancellation and accepted a quick reservation..happy to pick up money from the cancel...of course it was too close for the mail to get me a deposit check..and I am still waiting for those people to arrive!! It is no different than booking a charter air and hotel package...a certain dollar amount up front and final pay is either 60 days or 45 days in advance...whether you know the destination or not...you need to do the payments.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4