Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Dennis Owen

Sep 17, 2001, 12:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3236 views)

Shortcut

Bringing a new mini van to Mexico

Can't Post |
I have my FM-3 and am a permanent resident of Mexico. Being on vacation here in the US and needing to return soon to my home, I am concerned about flying. I am thinking of buying a minivan and driving it back to Mexico with me. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what problems I will have bringing it into Mexico, and keeping it there. Particularly important is if I will have to go back to the US with the car at regular intervals, or can I just keep it in Mexico. Also, can I get a car with US plates insured by my Mexican insurance company (Seguros Commercial America)? Thanks for your help.

Rolly

Sep 17, 2001, 4:06 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3235 views)

Shortcut

Bringing a new mini van to Mexico

Can't Post |
The bottom line is: No Problem. <p>You will need your title and a credit card. If the van is not paid for, you will need a notarized letter from the lien-holder granting you permission to take it into Mexico. Your vehicle permit is good so long as your FM3 is valid. You do not have to take the van out of Mexico ever so often, though you may if you wish. The Mexican law says that once your vehicle is permitted it does not have to be renewed each year so long as your FM3 is valid, BUT not everybody (i.e. many Mexican cops) understand that rule. I went back to Nuevo Laredo to renew mine at the end of the first year, but I think I will “test” the law next time. You’ll find more on this topic way down on the Living and Working in Mexico page<p>The Mexican government does not care it you have plates on the vehicle. I had just bought mine when I moved here and it had no plates. You cannot register it in Mexico.<p>Because your van will not be registered in Mexico, your insurance will list you as a tourist. You can buy good insurance from several different companies. They will require you to list an address in the USA as well as your Mexican address. Be very careful that the policy covers you for a full 365 days of exposure in Mexico. I careless bought a cheap policy that was for a period of 365 days, but buried in the fine print was a note that it was valid for only 30 days of actual exposure in Mexico during the 365 days. Sneaky. <p>Why not fly? It is safer now than it ever has been.

jennifer rose

Sep 17, 2001, 5:15 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3235 views)

Shortcut

30 days within 365? Which insurance company?

Can't Post |
Rolly, <p>If you remember which company sold that cheap insurance policy for 30 days' coverage within a 356-day period, would you kindly share it with the forum?

Rolly

Sep 17, 2001, 5:54 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3234 views)

Shortcut

30 days within 365? Which insurance company?

Can't Post |
: Rolly, <p>: If you remember which company sold that cheap insurance policy for 30 days' coverage within a 356-day period, would you kindly share it with the forum?<p>I bought it through my California insurer -- 21 Century. I don't remember the name of the Mexican partner company. It was later explained to me that it was a "promotional" program that is no longer available. (Maybe.) But caution is still important.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4